What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Items before wing closeout

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I'm at the point where I'm ready to rivet the bottom wing skins on. Is there anything from Van's that I should order that would be much easier to install prior to close out? AP servo install kit? I don't know what's in it or what it looks like. I'm installing the Dynon pitot mast and have done all the prep work for that. I ordered the aileron trim kit, but that looks ok to do later.

One item that I was wondering about was installing an Archer nav antenna in the wing tip. It appears that I need RG-400 for that. How much should I order? Will I use more of it later, if so how much? Just trying to order a qty that will eliminate waste.

Jeff

You?ll want RG-400 for all RF lines to antennas - com(s), nav(s), gps, transponder, adsb, ... It?s not so expensive that you can?t order a few extra feet. Nothing is so aggravating as coming up a foot short.

maintenance

If you have some conduit, that will allow you to run cables to the wingtips. If not, you can still get the cables in using the access panels, but a bit more work.

I read some good advice from someone on this forum that has served me well already - imagine how you are going to maintain/repair that thing after you are flying. If you can only access something with the wing panel off, what happens if you need to get to it later?

The only thing I did, other than factory wiring runs, was drill the holes and install the snap bushings for the pitot/static lines and string a couple of pieces of fishing line through the wing for future wiring needs (which I can?t imagine anyway). Everything else can be done fairly easily with the skins on.

I didn?t use conduit so I can?t comment on that. If I had another chance I might try to get the metal pitot probe lines bent with the skins off so I could see inside a little better and figure out exactly how i planned to secure the heater wiring, etc. Even so, it still all got done with minimal drama. Vans knew where to put access plates.

run wires for heated pitot

Vans wire harness doesn't include provisions for the wires for heated pitot. If you use the holes in the ribs they are too small. The heater wires should be as far from the magnetometer as possible. If I had it to do over I would locate the pitot tube on the right side and the magnotometer in the left as per plans.

RG-400

I'm at the point where I'm ready to rivet the bottom wing skins on. Is there anything from Van's that I should order that would be much easier to install prior to close out? AP servo install kit? I don't know what's in it or what it looks like. I'm installing the Dynon pitot mast and have done all the prep work for that. I ordered the aileron trim kit, but that looks ok to do later.

One item that I was wondering about was installing an Archer nav antenna in the wing tip. It appears that I need RG-400 for that. How much should I order? Will I use more of it later, if so how much? Just trying to order a qty that will eliminate waste.

Jeff

In regards to the amount of RG-400 cable I estimated that for the ELT antenna, Archer nav antenna, two com antennas, 1 transponder antenna, and 2 GPS antennas about 110'. This will obviously vary based upon the locations of your antennas and avionics boxes. But a 100' spool is probably a good start.

Good pitot heat threads on here somewhere already. It?s the controllers for pitot heat that craze the magnetometer on my left wing so I ditched the controller and just turn the heat on when in IMC. Just like my Arrow. The magnetometer on the shelf doesn?t care now.

Back