What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Meet Gator

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I picked up my plane from GLO Custom yesterday and was very pleased with Grady's work. I like the P-51 paint scheme but rather than make a copy of a historical P-51 I made one to suit me. See you at SnF!

Cheers

qwwpqf.jpg

2qd0v2g.jpg

Nice Paint Job--

Mike, congrats on the paint--looks really good. I can only imagine how much fun you're having in the "Gator"! :D:D

Steve

Single

Nice paint job! is it single or a base clear?

I really don't know paints I leaned on Grady's year of experience, but he uses JETGLO which is a single layer. You can feel tiny ridges where stripes and other colors where added but it sure shines.

He also said this paint is tough as nails, it will handle fuel, oil and for a time even Skydrol, so that was appealing to me. Give him call he is on VAF ads, he would be more than willing to discuss paints, I am sure.

Not just a great job with paint but rides to and from the airport, he set up a Prop balance for me with Walt (Thanks Walt), and dealing with my up in the air flights to get out there for the pickup.

My only regret was not having the time to meet Doug and thank him in person for this site. Maybe another time.

Cheers

Paint looks great

but black and gold with a Knight logo would be a better color scheme :)

Go UCF Knights!

Mike

Looks great. Yours was sitting right behind mine when I picked it up last Friday. It almost ended up with a UT sticker on it. The real UT that is as in Austin, TX! :D

Very nice. Enjoy it!

I beg to disagree...

... The real UT that is as in Austin, TX! :D ...

HMPH!

The REAL UT is in Knoxville, Tennessee! It predates the "other" UT in Austin by almost 90 years. It predates the whole state of Texas by more than 50.;)

Miles
BSEE UTK 1979
9414.jpg

Looks great!!!

Looks great!!! Wait till you try those Aveo's at night. It will look like a corporate jet coming in!!

Mike,
looks good. But I am pretty sure a Tenn Vols orange plane would win in a 1V1 fight. Specially one with the little wheel on the back. Congrats.

Go VOLS!!!!

but black and gold with a Knight logo would be a better color scheme :)

Go UCF Knights!

Yeah, baby blue and orange...that's so last decade. Go Knights!

Besides, Gville is literally the middle of nowhere. Basically the armpit of florida (ducking for cover).

Last edited:
Already Have

Looks great!!! Wait till you try those Aveo's at night. It will look like a corporate jet coming in!!

The tower at my airport had the same comment about the lights. I did one night flight before I flew from Olympia to Texas and ended up with a night landing in Winslow AZ, they work fantastic.

I get comments everywhere I go about how it looks like a jet coming in to land. I keep just the Taxi Ring of lights on when every I fly.

Cheers

Go Knights

How many Knight Alumni are flying Rv's? I'm the third thats posted.
Like the Gator plane though as my Boy just got accepted there. 22 minute flight in the Rocket from home airport in Orlando to Gainesville so he shouldn't get too homesick.

Awesome plane. I sent the pic to my son-in-law who's a naval aviator from UF. Getting him jazzed about my new RV project.

Good looking plane but Grady must have mistakenly grabbed to the wrong logos. Here, I'll fix it for ya' :D

boise_state_logo.jpg

What???!

As a UGA alum, I gotta agree with Brian. Gooooooo Dawgs!:D

All I see is very nice looking blue and silver warbird paint scheme with distinct nose and tail accents, and some cool artwork on the front. No college team mascot connotations at all for me - just a beautiful looking RV-8A! Sooo RVGator, is this beautiful bird going to make it up to KOSH this year?

Last edited:
OSH

All I see is very nice looking blue and silver warbird paint scheme with distinct nose and tail accents, and some cool artwork on the front. No college team mascot connotations at all for me - just a beautiful looking RV-8A! Sooo RVGator, is this beautiful bird going to make it up to KOSH this year?

My schedule will hopefully allow me to make it there for a couple days. I will not know for sure until the month prior

My goal is to make SnF and OSH, and our local NW fly-in at Arlington.

Gator in the Swamp

Almost forgot to post the airborne shots of Gator. My sister rode with a buddy in his RV-8, the mission was to get a photo of Gator over the swamp. Mission accomplished!

904wth.jpg

25f607s.jpg

14cxrq1.jpg

Back