What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vern Hendershott

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I just heard some really bad news about Vern Hendershott. I hope it is just a rumor. Anybody heard anything?

Update - Vern went west on Saturday 12/17. See below.

Last edited:
Sad. He was posting regularly. Does anybody know if he was ill?

I heard, second hand, that it was sudden, and he died in his sleep. I think his final post was Friday, died on Saturday. I guess that's not such a bad way to go, if you have to go.

Vern was on the forum every day, mostly helping other folks with building issues. I never met him in person. He could be a little rough on Van's or other vendors, and occasionally I would remind him he could be a little kinder and gentler! But he seemed to me to be a no-nonsense sort of a guy, and there were times when his patience with newbies really impressed me.

He will be missed as an active member of the community.

Very Sad

Never met Vern but it is still a shocker to see one of our passing. Thoughts with the family.

I met Vern recently. He was kind enough to give us a tour of Spruce Creek Fly-in. I was going to see him again in a few days. It saddens me to learn the bad news. I learned from him that his wife passed away a few years ago and they had no children. He lived with his father at Spruce Creek. My deepest condolence.

Didn't know Vern except thru the forums where you get to know someone in thread dialogue. I will miss his being a big part of the forum, his comments, and him. Condolences to hiis family and friends.
Dick Seiders

Vern Hendershott's Passing

Vern had medical issues with his heart but lived a full life until last Saturday morning when he failed to wake up. He was a caring person and lived with his father here at the Spruce Creek Fly-in. Vern completed building my RV12 when I became ill in 2009. He was a person who flew but preferred building. He enjoyed working on all the problems that builders encounter when building an aircraft.. His forum postings helped dozens of builders. .

Vern was appointed Airport Manager at Spruce Creek several months ago. Any time a pilot needed a hand, Vern was available. He will be missed by the community and the numerous pilots he helped on the forum. May he rest in peace.

Jim Corley

Sad. He was posting regularly. Does anybody know if he was ill?

Vern's Passing

Those who have expressed sorrow at Vern's passing might be interested in a post that I just made concerning the sale of his RV-12. Information is contained in the classified section. Since I am not too good at adding pictures, I will e-mail them to anyone interested. The plane is 85% completed, just missing avionics.

Back