What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom Graphic Wing Walk

jgnunn

I am not building an RV, but I come here sometimes for firewall forward ideas for my Skybolt project. So, I thought I would reciprocate a cool idea that materialized while I was web surfing one evening:

I stumbled across a skateboarding website, and realized that one could adapt their custom grip tape as a wing walk tread. The only limitation is your imagination.

http://www.boardpusher.com

Here is a screen grab of my example:
https://app.box.com/customwingwalkexample

It arrived the other day, and is exactly how I designed it online. Not bad for $20...

I went to the local board shop and they gave me a couple of cutoff pieces that I use for my wingwalk. Not as fancy but the price was right. Good thing I didn't tell them it was for an aviation application or it would have cost $100!:eek:

Greg

This is cool!

what a great idea, I always thought that the square black wing walk looked ugly. I played around with it a bit, what do you guys think of something like this for the RV?

Looks great, Eddie! Long way off on my build, but definitely will be keeping this in mind.

what a great idea, I always thought that the square black wing walk looked ugly. I played around with it a bit, what do you guys think of something like this for the RV?

Cool site. I came up with something similar:

16369946495_3d2d38178c.jpg

Looks like the BoardPusher material is a half-inch narrower and 6.5 inches longer than the Vans wing walk material.

Can you tell us about the surface? Is is standard sanded deck tape, or rubberized? Many people don't like the sand coming off and scratching things up. But the design aspect is very cool.

I'm interested myself - that honeycomb pattern looks cool and just "different" enough. Hopefully it's not the usual sand-grit material like other wing walks or most skateboard material I've seen.

BTW, it's a bit more expensive, but there's Ray Allen wing walk sheet material at Spruce. It's rubberized, not sand. I just used a sheet of it last week to put a gripping surface on my brake pedals (hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread - sorry).

2015-01-24.jpg

A friend who built a Sonex couldn't figure out where to put the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard until it was suggested he carve it into the wing walk material. That was a simple and easy solution.

goin' krazzee....

just another option for the bold...

print whatever graphic you want in the area of your wingwalk......something like 3M IJ162-10 is the print stock, with an aggressive semi-permanent adhesive. Rated for 1 year outdoor, but would last 10 if hangared.
Top the graphic with 3M 3645 matte textured slip resistant laminate.

these are the floor talkers you walk across every day at the mall, grocery store, hardware etc.

lot of other options, brands etc. ...talk to a good sign shop.
I have not tested nor endorse any particular product, just FYI.

I did so

A friend who built a Sonex couldn't figure out where to put the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard until it was suggested he carve it into the wing walk material. That was a simple and easy solution.

I did this, although I cut out a 3" by 15" strip out of the wing walk and put vinyl "EXPERIMENTAL" in. No problem with the inspection

Resurrecting this thread to see how things turned out. I ordered a set from these guys but they came out purple when I selected bright light blue. Only after checkout did the picture update to the purple color. When I recieved them they were more grey than purple, which actually worked out better for me then Purple but still not sure I’ll use them.

Company had no interest in redoing them or discounting another set. They were WAY off the picture. No matter how you slice it.

Reviving very old thread

Reviving a very old thread but it proves how valuable these forums are with info almost 10 years old!

Ordered skateboard mats for use on my RV-9A wing walk with some custom lettering. Reasonable price and look good IMOHO. http://www.boardpusher.com/

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 125
Looks like the standard width for what Boardpusher sells is 9".

Do people find that this is wide enough or do you order a custom width?

I just used a sheet of it last week to put a gripping surface on my brake pedals.
Hey, Scott: it's been 9 years since your post about putting gripper material on your brake/rudder pedals. I was wondering if you left that on there or eventually took it off. I find that I am 'sliding' up onto the brake pedals and would probably not like my feet sticking. How is yours working? Curious minds want to know.....after all these years! This is assuming you are FLYING!

Looks like the standard width for what Boardpusher sells is 9".

Do people find that this is wide enough or do you order a custom width?
I recently installed my boardpusher grips. they work well at least in my initial experience. It did take some trimming off the top to fit the length. but the width seems to be sufficient for me

IMG_5936.jpg

Hey, Scott: it's been 9 years since your post about putting gripper material on your brake/rudder pedals. I was wondering if you left that on there or eventually took it off. I find that I am 'sliding' up onto the brake pedals and would probably not like my feet sticking. How is yours working? Curious minds want to know.....after all these years! This is assuming you are FLYING!
Nope, it's still on the pedals. Aside from the edges starting to peel, they're holding up fine.

I went to the Zumiez surf shop in Danbury fair mall. They had mutiple patterns designed for skateboards. I got a 9'' x 33" black & white checkered sheet for about $12. trimmed to fit and it has been on the wing for 4 years with no peel. -Ben

Back