What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental Expanding Diesel Line With New 300-Hp Engine

I stopped by for a free cup of coffee one morning and spoke with one of the salesmen about the engine. It weighs a lot!!!!! He didn't envision a large market for it because of the weight and complexity.

HEAVY!

Yep, almost 100 pounds heavier than an equivalent gas. That pretty much eliminates a straight conversion...

Now if the airframe was DESIGNED for it, it would be great.

They also didn't mention the price...any guesses? Do I hear $65,000...:eek:

365 Pounds estimated.

Corrected: Sorry meant to say ...
565 Pounds estimated.

Last edited:
Uh, I don't thinks so...

"... Continental says the CD300?s weight is 560 pounds, a bit less than 100 pounds heavier than an equivalent Continental gasoline engine..."

Straight out of the article...

Yep, almost 100 pounds heavier than an equivalent gas. That pretty much eliminates a straight conversion...

Now if the airframe was DESIGNED for it, it would be great.

They also didn't mention the price...any guesses? Do I hear $65,000...:eek:

I watched some videos following the report. $85,000-$90,000 :eek:

Not bad specs, time will tell . . .

If fuel burn is 11% less then 100 pounds less (14 gal) of fuel would meet exact mission. 120 gal in a Malibu would be 106 gal now. Wrong W&B, but that is another issue.

They don't talk about compression ratios etc. The fuel efficiency will be challenging if the high boost pressures required a drop in compression ratio to meet cylinder pressure limitations. The same goes for retarded timing but that would increase compression pressures too.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this is progresses. Too often, optimistic claims have not delivered. It is not an easy job. A clean sheet engine, even a derivative, will have to be validated, gasoline test procedures will not yield a satisfactory result.

Back