What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shark skin

I can say with 100% certainty that some textures on a wrap reduce drag dramatically. Wind tunnel tests were done. Think golf ball and reverse golf ball patterns.

I can say with 100% certainty that some textures on a wrap reduce drag dramatically. Wind tunnel tests were done. Think golf ball and reverse golf ball patterns.

The only wrap with texture that I have seen has the carbon fiber look. Is this is what preformed better in the wind tunnels?

Bevan

I can't give much more info than that.

We make a printer that prints texture. We can print any texture on top of a wrap film. The texture can be up to 3/16" high in clear ink with a very smooth edge.

Last edited:
Testing

This would be an interesting test.
I'm still trying to get my head around the possibilities with the wrap.
My original paint scheme is out the window now that I can basically do anything.

The only wrap with texture that I have seen has the carbon fiber look. Is this is what preformed better in the wind tunnels?

Bevan

Sorry to correct, but we have over 30 different textures. Gator skin to brushed titanium.

I have shark skin textured "jammer" swim trunks that I use on my masters swim team. I couldn't tell any difference from my normal swimsuit, but that's probably because I lack talent and am the weak link on my team. :rolleyes: I did some research on the whole shark skin thing before buying my swim trunks, and it's the real deal. The shark texture actually does reduce drag. It would be interesting to see if it could improve parasite drag on an aircraft.

Last edited:
I have shark skin textured "jammer" swim trunks that I use on my masters swim team. I couldn't tell any difference from my normal swimsuit, but that's probably because I lack talent and am the weak link on my team.
Also consider that as "jammers" they only cover 1/4 to 1/3 of your skin at best. Unless you're waxing for speed, the rest will have a layer of hair which adds lots of drag, so the benefits of the shark skin texture will probably be very hard to find.

I know, I know. But I refuse to wax myself, shave my legs, or anything else that could risk having my Man Card revoked. :)

I am definately going to be using aircraft wraps on my radial RV! I'll be interested to see the results of using a textured skin.....

If it has a small texture of some sort, how will it stand up to dirt or polish?

Dave

+++Unverified on sharkskin++++

We recommend our Matte color vinyl customers to use a spray wax to seal out dirt and grime (do not use an abrasive wax). The Matte has a texture not much different then a smaller scale sharkskin.

Back