What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun N Fun Activities?

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am making my second trip out to SNF and the best part last year was meeting several other VAF people. Are there any RV activities happening from Wed-Fri?

Team AeroDynamix is performing at the Saturday night show only.

???? Some of us only look up when you guys are flying! Was this the shows decision or the teams? :(

Honestly, for a lot of us...being able to point up to you guys and tell our friends, "that's the plane I built/fly" really brings us into your show on an emotional level.

Regards,

Scott

???? Some of us only look up when you guys are flying! Was this the shows decision or the teams? :(

Honestly, for a lot of us...being able to point up to you guys and tell our friends, "that's the plane I built/fly" really brings us into your show on an emotional level.

Regards,

Scott

Scott this is the shows decision. I think much of this has to do with human nature. We don't give an atta boy to them when they do something we like. And we raise hands when folks do something we don't like. These shows hear almost nothing from EAA'ers on what they do that their constituents like. And when they dont hear the positive, its not reinforced as good decisions and those that made those decisions don't get any cover on doing a good job. Many spectators will ye'll "yeah!" and "Awesome" over social media when the jet truck rolls onto the stage. But aviators tend to remain silent when they see flying they like or touches them. Often times we just assume that the show knows what we feel. We think "of course they know we loved it. They saw what I saw." When in fact they don't. Heck many folks running these shows have never even been in an airplane, let alone connected to them like we are. Basic human nature. Venues only know what their constituents want when they hear from you. Especially on the positive! So take a moment to reinforce the positive, and raise your hands on the negative directly to them. They will hear you. The EAA forum thread is a great example. A dozen folks chimed in there but I got 3 times that many emails to me directly. Human nature and its on us to accentuate the positive first, and point out the negative when appropriate. That ratio should be at least 5:1.

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

I won't presume to understand the minds of airshow producers. Others on the team who work more closely with the sales and marketing might shed some light on the issue. I do all the video editing for the team. Other than that, I just show up and fly!

Scott this is the shows decision. I think much of this has to do with human nature. We don't give an atta boy to them when they do something we like. And we raise hands when folks do something we don't like. These shows hear almost nothing from EAA'ers on what they do that their constituents like. And when they dont hear the positive, its not reinforced as good decisions and those that made those decisions don't get any cover on doing a good job. Many spectators will ye'll "yeah!" and "Awesome" over social media when the jet truck rolls onto the stage. But aviators tend to remain silent when they see flying they like or touches them. Often times we just assume that the show knows what we feel. We think "of course they know we loved it. They saw what I saw." When in fact they don't. Heck many folks running these shows have never even been in an airplane, let alone connected to them like we are. Basic human nature. Venues only know what their constituents want when they hear from you. Especially on the positive! So take a moment to reinforce the positive, and raise your hands on the negative directly to them. They will hear you. The EAA forum thread is a great example. A dozen folks chimed in there but I got 3 times that many emails to me directly. Human nature and its on us to accentuate the positive first, and point out the negative when appropriate. That ratio should be at least 5:1.

First, **ditto the above**. I was about to write something similar.

As one of the people that interacted with SnF regarding Team AeroDynamix, I think that there is some of what I would call "Sequestration Rebound". What I mean is that several military acts became available so they were jumped on. And with great reason.

This takes up a large block of the showtime slots as well as expenses for room and transportation that otherwise might have been available. No show is going to turn down the opportunity to have the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. They are great performances and they flood the gates as well.

So, it is a balancing act that the producers have to manage. Their original goal was to have the Team on a lot more.

James

Sun&fun

It's not the same anymore This is a email a friend sent and wanted to share

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Sun-N-Fun
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 07:08:44 -0500
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Have been attending Sun-N-Fun by various means (fly, drive, RV) for 30 years. I have no plans to come this year and thought I'd share why. Maybe you could take some of this to heart as you brainstorm why Sun-N-Fun is on the decline. I would like for this show to be successful and re-attend in the future.
* Pricing, less value--have to spend more each year on less convention. Major vendors and aircraft manufacturers have been cutting back or dropping out over recent years.
* RV--now have to buy armbands for family members that camp with me but don't access the show area. My wife and daughter usually come up first weekend before the show but occasionally on the 2nd weekend. They have no interest in the show/display area. Also, special demonstration teams restrict camping access for those who are just camping.
* Aircraft, too restrictive--I have a nice homebuilt and live in Florida. If I decide to fly in, I have to pay $37 for a max of a couple of hours. If I stay too long I risk being trapped by warbird movements and the endless airshow. I try not to fly at night and risk arriving home after dark if I elect to stay past noon as there is rarely a definitive ending to the airshow. Also, still have a sour taste from the tornado incident.
* Aircraft camping - If I elect to stay one night, It would be $35 plus two $37 bands. Why does it cost as much for a 2 seat homebuilt as it does for a 40 foot motorhome towing a car that takes up four times as much space and also has more and closer amenities?

Suggestions:

Entice fly in traffic with cheaper rates, minor giveaways and more access to their planes. There's no fly in discount or even a hat this year. These are the people that you truly want as more aircraft are desperately needed on the flightline and camping area. They also are what the vendors want, not general public folks there to watch the Blue Angels that have zero interest in avionics and aircraft parts.

Treat this not as an airshow but as a convention. Mission statement should reflect that. You can NOT solely aim for a financial goal each year. The successful continuation of the convention needs to be the priority, revenue will come with success. Outside drains of revenue such as the museum and school need to be eliminated short term while the convention builds back up via lower vendor rates, fly-in enticements and improved GA good will.

Additional give-aways for warbirds are not needed. They like showing off their aircraft and most will show up regardless (think car shows). It makes no sense for someone to spend half their adult life building an award winning homebuilt for 6 figures and they get to watch a 4 figure warbird wannabee get priority treatment.

Eliminate the special teams (T-Birds and BA). They will not really fit the mission statement for a convention nor will all day airshows. Schedule the airshow for 1pm to 4pm only. The general public attracted by the "show" are not conducive to keeping the vendors there which, in turn keeps the pilots there. To recapture this revenue, the special teams should be invited at dates other than the convention to put the unused SunNFun grounds to good use at other times. Local standard airshows hosting T-Birds or BA generally enjoy huge crowds.

I know that there were some initial improvements such as a slight reduction in airshow times and no grass burning BUT a lot more is needed to ensure the success of Sun-N-Fun for the future. If you look at the history of the Reading PA. airshow, you can see that you are on the same path for the same reasons.

Good luck in the future

* Aircraft, too restrictive--I have a nice homebuilt and live in Florida. If I decide to fly in, I have to pay $37 for a max of a couple of hours. If I stay too long I risk being trapped by warbird movements and the endless airshow. I try not to fly at night and risk arriving home after dark if I elect to stay past noon as there is rarely a definitive ending to the airshow. Also, still have a sour taste from the tornado incident.

Suggestions:

Entice fly in traffic with cheaper rates, minor giveaways and more access to their planes. There's no fly in discount or even a hat this year. These are the people that you truly want as more aircraft are desperately needed on the flightline and camping area. They also are what the vendors want, not general public folks there to watch the Blue Angels that have zero interest in avionics and aircraft parts.

WHAT.... they did away with the $25 per person for fly-in aircraft. (Last year's model) :mad::mad:

Hope that's not the case. I have trouble getting my wife to go as it is....

Sun N Fun

I guess you didn't participate in the Valentines day special for $20/day tickets!

WHAT.... they did away with the $25 per person for fly-in aircraft. (Last year's model) :mad::mad:

Hope that's not the case. I have trouble getting my wife to go as it is....

Back