What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Wraps

I want samples but could not find this on your web site. How do we pay etc?
[QUOTE
We will send samples to anyone that asks. We have now created a selection within our credit card payment system for samples and aircraftwraps design sheets specific to your model $14.00 with 2 day fedex. We were sending them free and spent over $300 in shipping alone during the last week! We are not making money on this $14.00, just covering the FedEx shipping.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Don

Our billing system is backend at the moment - we have some site changes coming in the very near future and that sample purchase ability is one of them.

I will set you up in our billing system and send over an invoice in the meantime.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Thanks, that was painless.
I made my reservations for Sun N Fun last night, but noticed to my dismay you are not listed as an exhibitor! Will there be any wrapped plane in attendance I can look over?
Hi Don

Our billing system is backend at the moment - we have some site changes coming in the very near future and that sample purchase ability is one of them.

I will set you up in our billing system and send over an invoice in the meantime.

Kind Regards

;)
I made my reservations for Sun N Fun last night, but noticed to my dismay you are not listed as an exhibitor! Will there be any wrapped plane in attendance I can look over?

Right now I know of 2 customers wrapped aircraft flying into sun n fun. 1 will be wearing an AircraftWraps logo for sure. I will find out if more are going to make it.

We are looking to bring both our dark grey and blue/silver aircraft for display in the booth section.

I should be able to confirm the last part by next week.

Regardless of how the company display works out, I will be attending as an airshow fan with my Personal wrapped aircraft. (Look for the Tail-art) ;)

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:
Follow-up Question

Guy(s),
I know in an earlier post you said the wrap can go onto a primed aircraft. Does it matter what brand? I'm partial to Stewart Systems Ecoprime, which is a water-based primer.

Guy(s),
I know in an earlier post you said the wrap can go onto a primed aircraft. Does it matter what brand? I'm partial to Stewart Systems Ecoprime, which is a water-based primer.

We have not seen any ill effects from different brands used as our substrate for application.

Scott

Copied post from the Sprint 40 thread:

Lets see what these wrapped airplanes are doing in performance???

I'm not one for telling... Show time!:D

My "Naughty Angel" is now listed for the Sprint 40 full race.

Hope to see a good turn out for what looks to be a really fun time!

Do I still pass to their left?:D

*sorry, whats racing without a little trash talking!?:p

How does it do over alodine? I'm looking to keep weight down and still have corrosion protection.

Let me verify, but I believe we have already installed over that. I don't think it was a factor at all (awaiting verification)

Scott

Don,

Thanks for the sample request. It'll ship today

Regards,

Scott

How do you guys deal with the rear spar areas where the rudder, elevators, etc all attach? These are some very complex areas with shop heads, hinge brackets, etc. Do you use paint in that complex zone or do you use a wrap? Do you have any close up pictures with a rudder (as an example) off to show us how it looks?

How do you guys deal with the rear spar areas where the rudder, elevators, etc all attach? These are some very complex areas with shop heads, hinge brackets, etc. Do you use paint in that complex zone or do you use a wrap? Do you have any close up pictures with a rudder (as an example) off to show us how it looks?

Hope I'm following what you are asking? We wrap the exterior surface of the airfoil. The internal areas of both our aircraft are primed.

Did you prime as you built? If so, that area should be primed already. If you didn't, the owner can spray it before or tape and spray after with the (primer wars) selection you wish.

That area is not really visible when assembled. We do completely wrap you control surface including that unexposed area.

Photo of this?

c53c4b0cb49b46e3be1a51de2b298ca4_zpsa79fb6f6.jpg

Last edited:
Good question

Rhino,
Hogie's talking about the aft face of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers' aft spars, and I'd love to the know the answer too. :confused:

FP23082013A0001N.jpg

If you remove the elevators and rudder and stand behind the empennage, you see those spars with their hinge brackets, etc. Do you cover those? Same goes for the wings' aft faces just forward of the ailerons and flaps.

Last edited:
Nose/tail art

Now that we're on the subject of what's wrapped and what's not, is that tail art a wrap?
How far can the builder go with a design? Is anything possible? In other words, is the graphic printed so virtually anything could be applied?

Now that we're on the subject of what's wrapped and what's not, is that tail art a wrap?
How far can the builder go with a design? Is anything possible? In other words, is the graphic printed so virtually anything could be applied?

Yes, that is a wrap. It's a "one off". I brought my horrible stick figure hand drawing to our graphics guy with some photos of my wife. This is revision 5or6? She started with white wings, no clouds, etc... I had a vision in my head for my "naughty angel". I wanted something a little darker for the theme of my 8. The great part of our process is we start for a small fee/retainer and you don't pay the rest till you see what you like. Painters are great and true artist. However, you tell him what you want then wait till he's done... Hopefully you like it, because it's on there regardless. With our process, you get to revise multiple times till you say, "I like that... Perfect". Then we take exactly what is on the computer screen and scale anywhere from the size of a cruise ship to the size of a coffee cup. (Yes, it's more complicated then that. However, for our customers it's not, we take care of all the technical stuff)

Limits: take a photo of your dog in HiDef and send it to us. We can print to HiDef clarity and have a photo realistic image and install on your aircraft. Our images also take control surfaces and cut outs for rudder attach points into account before printing. You'll notice that my tail art and lettering is minimally effected by these considerations.

I could've printed this image exactly as you see it and placed it on my aircraft. However, I prefer the kinda WW2 nose art character we created.

Photo deleted---

Last edited:
Rhino,
Hogie's talking about the aft face of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers' aft spars, and I'd love to the know the answer too. :confused:

FP23082013A0001N.jpg

If you remove the elevators and rudder and stand behind the empennage, you see those spars with their hinge brackets, etc. Do you cover those? Same goes for the wings' aft faces just forward of the ailerons and flaps.

Yep. That's the area I thought he was talking about.

From my response:
Did you prime as you built? If so, that area should be primed already. If you didn't, the owner can spray it before or tape and spray after with the (primer wars) selection you wish.

That area is not really visible when assembled. We do completely wrap you control surface including that unexposed area.

Revision 2 of my current personal project.

Will be adding logos for aircraftwraps.com and anything else that i can think of really.

The character will be adjusted to a head on style.

I'm waiting to do this because I need to tame the smoke oil belly first. We can protect the vinyl from the oil. I just think it would be disrespectful to have her image blackened out with a layer of smoke oil covering it.

It really is limitless with AircraftWraps. We are the guys that want to get the difficult projects that fly. Our resources and cumulative expertise here is very unique to the wrap market.

Once you have paid for the design, its yours. We can print endless exact copies to any size and you'd simple pay material cost. The design cost is over. You own the design for this aircraft, the next aircraft, the boat, truck, car, kids bike!;)

I'm going to remove a side for something we are doing sun n fun specific. I went ahead and printed another copy for once sun n fun is over, she goes back on. Image looks unclear because our application tape is in place over the image.

Last edited:
Yep. That's the area I thought he was talking about.

From my response:

Thank you, Rhino. FWIW, I'm sold (although it'll be a few hundred more hours of build).

weight

Scott
That's very impressive!
Do you have the vinyl weight numbers for your airplane or test samples? I'm curious approximately how much weight could be saved over paint. I realize it's somewhat subjective since the only comparison is someone else's plane.
All other advantages aside, less weight is a big deal, especially in the tail area.

Scott
That's very impressive!
Do you have the vinyl weight numbers for your airplane or test samples? I'm curious approximately how much weight could be saved over paint. I realize it's somewhat subjective since the only comparison is someone else's plane.
All other advantages aside, less weight is a big deal, especially in the tail area.

This is something I am working on at the moment wirejock. Will update you when it's up on our site (lots of changes coming!)

You are right it is somewhat subjective but i am hoping that they way we are going to portray it will make it easier to work out.

Last edited:
All, we do have a great inhouse designer for nose and tail art.

I'm incredibly fussy (politest word I can sum up to describe myself...) when it comes to our site design, nose / tail art, he puts up with my constant badgering / multiple changes and has for years (good friend of ours).

Feel free to send me a message if you would like to see some of his work. They will be appearing on the site in the near future once we finish all the changes.

Last edited:
Perfect Sunday Morning

The Aircraftwraps boys meet at the hangar before dawn. 2 ship (turbo out of town!?) up the coast line with the sun still low. Vero for a great breakfast. Light 5G aerobatics after breakfast to top it off.

The moon aligned, stars in the 5th degree of orbit, etc. My brother actually picked up the check for breakfast!? Wow! :confused:

Feeling pretty lucky right now.

c3a505e72522203290f5c547328eb05e_zps791f4e51.jpg

89b77faafd624c563d2743f026418372_zpsbb17918b.jpg

Some panel pics here with a carbon fibre wrap - hopefully the full panel owner will post his experience / views.

We also have brushed metal finishes along with pretty much any color - or even a custom print.

I'm going to do a seperate thread for this also as I'd like to show what we can do to interiors a bit more.

panelwrap1.JPG

panelwrap2.JPG

panelwrap.JPG

That means my "United States of America will be IN the wrap, not stuck on afterwards, along with all the row of windows. I am going to Sun N Fun, hope to round these guys up and talk more.
20udeo1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I would be interested in seeing some cose up pictures of the trailing edges of the wing tips and trailing edges of the wheelpants.

That means my "United States of America will be IN the wrap, not stuck on afterwards, along with all the row of windows. I am going to Sun N Fun, hope to round these guys up and talk more.
20udeo1.jpg
[/IMG]

I think the "special" project we are doing on my plane for sun n fun should put your worries to rest. It has to do with what your looking for.

"all the windows"... awesome idea! We can do that :D

Regards,

Scott

I would be interested in seeing some cose up pictures of the trailing edges of the wing tips and trailing edges of the wheelpants.

We are working on our website behind the scenes - a big part of the work is focused on the gallery and the images along with sections.

As soon as its complete I will update on the forum and hopefully everyone will have an image that satisfies their curiosity :)

So earlier on I mentioned some design options and thought I would update with an idea of what we offer in-house using the examples below.

We tend to start off with the usual 3 plan view and then once you are happy with it we can show you what its going to look like on your aircraft by using a photo you send in.

3 Plan view

Visual.JPG

P51-AD.JPG

Showing your design on your actual aircraft - I've picked a P51 theme for our example on an RV8 with different color schemes.

P51-1.JPG

P51-2.JPG

P51-3.JPG

P51-4.JPG

Hi Bob

We will be at Sun N Fun as much as possible.

I have a list of numbers from people who would like us to call them when we are there to meet up - if you would like to add yours please drop me an email.

Final call for anyone that wishes to meet up at Sun N Fun - Drop me an email with your details

To all that are going - have a great time!

Anyone heard from these guys? I've sent the m a couple emails about wanting to see the at sun n fun but haven't gotten a response...

-Dan

Anyone heard from these guys? I've sent the m a couple emails about wanting to see the at sun n fun but haven't gotten a response...

-Dan

Dan

Can you drop me an email direct at [email protected] please. If your number starts with 512 I do see an email from you early march about a wrap but nothing else is in my inbox regarding Sun N Fun.

We have an aircraft there today - the blue and silver in our gallery with the owner flying. Great guy called Bud, he is wandering around with an AW t-shirt on (I know its a big place).

Scott had a last minute inflation issue with a wheel and a speedy replacement doesn't look likely but should be driving over this afternoon - nothing but luck there!

Last edited:
Back