What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Wraps

Wasn't there a thread about solid rivets on the 12?

there you go:

Rivet1.jpg

What happens when a crack develops in the skin? Will it be visible?

What about smoking rivets? Will those be visible in any way? Will the vinyl bubble in that area so you know something is wrong?

Thanks for your guys great responses I am really considering going this route.

Thanks,

Ahhh! I did it again!? My 1st day off in 2 weeks (except for some shipping items) and I was just going look at the "super 8, FS stuff, Heavy wing, etc. thread" There is that dang AircraftWraps thread again!:eek:

Just kidding guys! Its an awesome response we have had from the RV community. Ive really enjoyed communicating with everyone. Guy is currently dealing with a bunch of weird looking lines and stuff he calls "code"!?:confused: Apparently pilots want to use credit cards to pay for things!? OH well... thats his job not mine!

I think I'll be airborne "researching" while upside down and twisting about today! :D Smoke will be used as a safety visual avoidance device!

I love my RV8!

Twilbeck,

I think we covered smoking rivets earlier in the thread? Cracks have been discussed, but as you've seen previously we don't want a "take my word for it approach" Simple answer.. .YES, you'll see that stuff. Look how the vinyl sucks into the rivet form. If there is a crack or separation the vinyl would do the same and produce the cracked form in the same manner.

Like before... don't take our/my word for it. I'll try to replicate a crack in some spare sheet aluminum and do a quick n nasty install for photos. Photos will be posted and linked to your question.

Regards,

Scott

PS now where is that super 8 thread!?

Wrap over paint?

Scott,

Wow! I think you are onto something possibly a game-changer with less weight and less cost, usually the opposite

My question is: Can you wrap an already painted RV? Would it have to be stripped first? What about minor scratch-filling and other blems?

Thanks,

Jerry

Scott,

Wow! I think you are onto something possibly a game-changer with less weight and less cost, usually the opposite

My question is: Can you wrap an already painted RV? Would it have to be stripped first? What about minor scratch-filling and other blems?

Thanks,

Jerry

Go on our website. Bottom of the site is a gallery (it used to scroll auto till someone lost "rock-paper-scissor" now you must use the big buttons left and right of the photos...:()

The Blue and silver was a Home-brew paint job with polished aluminum pictured under the "prep begins" photo. We turned it into the Metallic blue and silver gem you see know.

*that silver is actually "white metallic aluminum" and color matched by me walking up to a famous P51 at the stuart airshow. Samples in hand and asking the pilot if I could compare.

I wrapped the entire aircraft in that color because from a base complete wrap of this color we can go either traditional RV color scheme which ours is, or the P51-RV look adding stars, stripes, flags, squadron graphics, etc.

"Game-changer" I hope so. I've been excited for a long time about this. Meet me at a flyin and I will get annoying rambling about vinyl wrapped aircraft. The benefits are fun to discuss.

Last edited:
Scott, which website has the gallery? www.aircraftwraps.com seems to be a single webpage without any pictures when clicking the "gallery" button.

OK. I got it to work by switching my browser to Firefox.

Bevan

Last edited:
I'm saving for them. I did fuselage first. On a government salary an RV build is a slow process and I wanted to make airplane noises sooner rather than later.

How tough would this be to do yourself using your materials?

It's a looooooong flight from Australia iwhen I want my plane done...

Not to speak for anybody else, but I have found it to be extremely difficult. It is a real art form, especially over anything with curves.

If your ever bored, order a small sheet off eBay or amazon, you'll be yelling a lot of four letter words after only a few square inches.

Advertisement Option?

Hey Scott & Guy,

You should offer Vlad a screaming deal on a wrap for his plane! He has flown over 1000 hours in just over 2 years....man look at his gps tracker!:D He is getting ready for the big month long trip to Alaska in July and he is a great ambassador! Besides....what a great test bed for the coating...from Alaska to the Caribbean to Canada...not to mention the 48 lower US....he goes everywhere and is a class act! What a promo!

Just a thought(for all I know maybe he loves his plane naked?) I haven't spoken to him about it but he says paint = Fuel money:D

Hey Scott & Guy,

You should offer Vlad a screaming deal on a wrap for his plane! He has flown over 1000 hours in just over 2 years....man look at his gps tracker!:D He is getting ready for the big month long trip to Alaska in July and he is a great ambassador! Besides....what a great test bed for the coating...from Alaska to the Caribbean to Canada...not to mention the 48 lower US....he goes everywhere and is a class act! What a promo!

Just a thought(for all I know maybe he loves his plane naked?) I haven't spoken to him about it but he says paint = Fuel money:D

If we can catch Vlad taxiing somewhere we have decided to just 'A-Team' it and do it on the runway :D

Hey Scott & Guy,

We are waiting for his email or call. We don't want to be the company that cold calls. If you show interest in us... then you get treated like the only hot girl at the dance ;)

We also reserved first rights on 2 additional install hangars in case any large group of experimental aircraft formation guys wanted to bring us 4-6 aircraft at at a time!? :roll eyes:

Vlad: We would of course recognize Vlad as the icon he is and not take anymore gas money then we absolutely had to. We just are not at the point yet to sponsor Icons of RV flying yet :(

***I will feed him! (on the company card, don't tell Guy;))

Fresno hit the art of vinyl installing pretty well. I've done a lot of vinyl work and wouldn't be happy with the results of my own work. We have installers that have been doing this for decades (actually our requirement is min 10years experience) We will never tell someone you can't install yourself. We hate to sell vinyl to someone then have to sell more because of wasted material from learning. You are saving a lot already on a price factor you had accounted for in your overall build budget. Let our installers have it and come back in 2 weeks (design dependent). You will love our work.

I want other pilots to walk up to your plane and compliment you on your "paint job"... then you can pull out my business card and explain to them how its vinyl wrapped... they will call you a liar... it's the normal reaction I get:D Wait till you slide a mess of car keys down your dark metal flake finish wing from tip to fuse!? I love the reaction every time! No scratches... (I actually saw a guy look like he became physically sick while the keys were in mid-slide!

We will send samples to anyone that asks. We have now created a selection within our credit card payment system for samples and aircraftwraps design sheets specific to your model $14.00 with 2 day fedex. We were sending them free and spent over $300 in shipping alone during the last week! We are not making money on this $14.00, just covering the FedEx shipping.

Regards,

Scott

Wing walk scratches

Very interesting thread. I have not painted, as I can't imagine not flying for the two to three months I wAs quoted for paint.

I will go to the web site and get a quote started for a wrap. I do have one question. What are you doing for the wing walk area?

Very interesting thread. I have not painted, as I can't imagine not flying for the two to three months I wAs quoted for paint.

I will go to the web site and get a quote started for a wrap. I do have one question. What are you doing for the wing walk area?

You can do traditional "skateboard" if you want? We try everything vinyl first. If the vinyl doesn't prove itself in the function required, then we replace with original Vans recommended material. Our aircraft truly are flying test-beds. We are experimenters. If you see a sheet of color mismatched vinyl placed at a weird position while we taxi by to get fuel... there is a reason for that:D

We here at aircraftwraps try and go with form and function... with style! Look at our demo aircraft and you'll see our textured carbon fiber walking pads. They were a big hit at the open house we had last week.

To answer the next question: yes, they take the abuse of me dragging in our dirt and grime. They also provide me with sure footing while deplaning on a slanted taildragger in Orlando rain showers.

Edit: Oh ya, My plane has color matched carbon fiber to the wings vinyl dark grey metal flake finish.

I'll try to find a good picture

Updated:

Till I get back to the hangar and take a close up this photo shows the textured vinyl foot pads.

Last edited:
Can you....

My -10 has an amateur paint job and heavy rain has removed some leading edge paint. Can you wrap just the wings, matching the color? Do you strip them first?

Best

Guy is on a travel day today or I'd just let him monitor and respond to this thread. However, I've gotta get to the hangar and get some work done.

Please ask away and when I return to the computer tonight I'll follow up.

Regards,

Scott

My -10 has an amateur paint job and heavy rain has removed some leading edge paint. Can you wrap just the wings, matching the color? Do you strip them first?

Best

You got me before I headed out!

I would recommend stripping the wings. We do not deal with stripping or that type of process. We keep our install hangar sterile and isolated to prevent contamination under the vinyl. Dealing with any of that type of operation on location has proven to cause issues with our vinyl installs.

We can wrap just the wings. We have 5 "just the wings" or "just the Fuselage" in the que currently.

***I just saw your email come in. Once Guy has landed for his location scouting mission we will respond with design detail questions and provide a quote immediately.

Regards,

Scott

Worked for me

2wfpet1.jpg

Only 175 hours so far but holding up fine...DIY job...

If you are visiting Van's PM me for a look, as I am on Aurora Oregon also.

Bruce,

I saw your plane and took a few pictures at Arlington last year. I never thought it wasn't paint! Now, is the polished aluminum vinyl too or polished aluminum? I would like to know more about your experience with the DIY wrap. Did you document it somewhere?

Bevan

As I had said over a year ago (how time fly's when your having fun!?)...

Great looking RV8! :)

We (aircraftwraps) are going to be spending some time in the NW looking at locations. We would love to get together.

We did not wrap your aircraft, yet you are still a representative of this new concept. I personally want to thank you for such a great example of vinyl wrapped aircraft!

***There was a composite aircraft at sun u fun last year with kind of a camo theme just of the wings. Just my opinion, but unlike your aircraft it was not a well done example. I'm sure that type of wrap turns pilots "off" regarding wrapping.

We are looking at putting together a tail section DIY kit for interested builders. We have had a few request and figured we would provide what ever our community request.

-------------

Good Morning VAF Pilots/Builders! Get in that garage and bang some rivets! My RV8 has exceeded my expectations at every turn... it'll be worth all those hours in the garage or hangar.

I get very excited thinking about Saturday morning. With ALL the RV's that have been waiting for their pilots quietly in the hangar all week. I visualize a hangar door opening into the early morning and soon after preflight the combination of custom built aircraft and pilot launch into the sky. I feel/share the same satisfaction of each pilot/builder realizing the dream that we all had since being children.

Enjoy your RV filled weekend Ladies and Gentlemen!

Regards,

Scott (For the RV8 while flying: Rhino)

Last edited:
Good speaking with you yesterday, Scott.

Best,

Pierre,

Great conversation! Cant wait to "wrap up" your RV10. The topic of auto/home paint being removed with heavy rain was enlightening for me. (I'm sure like anything, this would vary with several factors)

I have intentionally flown my 8 for hour long rain dashes around florida. I'm normally setup for 185kts or more (sun N fun dash 40 ;)). Our vinyl has shown zero wear. Our installs do take these kind of conditions into account during the design and planning phase.

As we discussed, I'm going to try and get up into NC Monday and show some pilots our work. I might be up your way Mon or Tues... I'll call and see if I can drop in with you.

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:
Scott,

How about posting where you're going to be in NC. I may hop down and take a look.

Scott,

How about posting where you're going to be in NC. I may hop down and take a look.

Don,

I recognize the "propjock" in your signature. Thanks for showing interest in our product.

That would be great! Exactly what I'm looking for. I'm pulling out the old fashion barnstorming technique of advertising. I get to go fly my RV8 with a bouncing-ball type of flight plan. Don't tell Guy! He said something about having a pile of emails to answer monday! :p

Weather permitting I'll be tracking for RDUish area and bounce around a little. I'll post here with stops beforehand.

Regards,

Scott

NC visit

Western NC is nice this time of year, especially 0A7. I'd love to meet you since we've decided to wrap our -10 when it's time instead of painting.

Jason

Western NC is nice this time of year, especially 0A7. I'd love to meet you since we've decided to wrap our -10 when it's time instead of painting.

Jason

If thats an invitation!? Hmmm, fly my RV8 to one of the most beautiful areas in our country?:D

I think I can make this happen.

Stop by KCUB

Scott, you may as well stop by KCUB on your way there or back. We have at least 6 naked RVs either flying or under construction that need to see your product. Mine should be flying within the month.:D

Here are some photos of paint film on my -4

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I used paint film on the cockpit coaming rail and some cockpit details. Here are a couple of shots of the rail:

2n88xoo.jpg
[/IMG]

I installed the film about 8 years ago. You can see the detail of the rivets easily. The 2 imperfections to the left of the rivet in the foreground show where I did not sufficiently prep the sub surface (old paint) prior to applying the paint film. I did not appreciate the fidelity with which the film would cover the surface.

o7q33p.jpg

This view shows more of the same rail.

11avn9j.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a bracket I made to hold the controller for my Lightspeed headset. The rail on this side of the cockpit still has the original paint.

or2oe9.jpg
[/IMG]
Finally, this photo shows the rear stick well enclosure. This assembly, too, is covered with paint film. Here, wear on the edges is more prevalent. I'm not sure if this is due to a more abusive environment, or a different film product.

Regards,

Jason

Just topped the 8 off with the cheapest gas in south florida. READY to Barnstorm the Carolinas:D

The plan is to launch out of palm beach tomorrow morning around 7:30am. If you are available between 10:30-noon we will stop with you first! If not then, we can stop heading back south bound on Tuesday?

Please email [email protected] so myself and AW ground control can set and track our flight plan.

Scott, you may as well stop by KCUB on your way there or back. We have at least 6 naked RVs either flying or under construction that need to see your product. Mine should be flying within the month.:D

How about 2-3pm? 6 naked RV's!!! You know I'm gonna camp in front of your hangar till you show up:p

I'm not sure if this is due to a more abusive environment, or a different film product.

Regards,

Dean,

Thank you very much for stating about the different film/vinyl products.

I've handled a lot of questions regarding less quality vinyl products. AircraftWraps applies only the highest levels of vinyl from all of our manufactures.

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

Don,

KCUB is pretty far north towards your location. If the guys that posted earlier have time for us I'll be heading there on their schedule. Parties love a crowd! If or when I hear from them I'll post and email or ETA. Drop us a note at [email protected].

Thanks for taking the time to travel and see our product!

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:
Just topped the 8 off with the cheapest gas in south florida. READY to Barnstorm the Carolinas:D

The plan is to launch out of palm beach tomorrow morning around 7:30am. If you are available between 10:30-noon we will stop with you first! If not then, we can stop heading back south bound on Tuesday?

Please email [email protected] so myself and AW ground control can set and track our flight plan.

PM sent. Hope to see you there.

Jason

Don,

KCUB is pretty far north towards your location. If the guys that posted earlier have time for us I'll be heading there on their schedule. Parties love a crowd! If or when I hear from them I'll post and email or ETA. Drop us a note at [email protected].

Thanks for taking the time to travel and see our product!

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

Depending on winds it's 2:20 away from me and the weather here tomorrow is calling for 5-8" of snow so it looks doubtful that I'll be able meet you.

I'd really like to see your product. So maybe if you're interested in another trip, and there are owners of naked airplanes in the Delmarva and Washington, DC area, I can work with our airport manager to have you demo here (KXSA) and make sure that everyone that comes in to see you (RV and the other guys) get a fuel discount. A fuel discount AND some real smoked ribs might even attract a certain cousin of mine flying a nekid nine.

Last edited:
PM sent. Hope to see you there.

Jason

Jason,

I have your number. I'll text that number about 10-15minutes out (should be low enough at that timeframe).

If no contact, I'll call you after landing for location.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott,

Depending on winds it's 2:20 away from me and the weather here tomorrow is calling for 5-8" of snow so it looks doubtful that I'll be able meet you.

I'd really like to your product. So maybe if you're interested in another trip, and there are owners of naked airplanes in the Delmarva and Washington, DC area, I can work with our airport manager to have you demo here (KXSA) and make sure that everyone that comes in to see you (RV and the other guys) get a fuel discount. A fuel discount AND some real smoked ribs might attract a certain cousin of mine flying a nekid nine.

Fuel discount and smoked ribs!!! You plan it and we'll be there. Hopefully at that point I can have both display aircraft with me. Tomorrow is only my dark grey... everybody always ignores her when the Blue/silver aircraftwraps plane is close by :(

++++Fuel discount++++ if anyone knows the location of the cheap fuel in the carolinas please PM me. I'm currently making sure everyone at aircraftwraps gets paid.... except me... I'm burning my share in 100LL trying to show people our product.

Barnstormer NO GO! Aborted...

Just had to make the NO GO call to the backseater for tomorrow. 2 airline pilot brothers who hadn't flown together for over a decade bouncing around the carolinas and grabbing a last minute hotel for the night! Followed by another day of bouncing around the carolinas in an RV8... Can you say Adventure!

Nope... "light freezing rain"! I will officially state that aircraftwraps.com does not endorse flying your aircraft into freezing rain... even if its wrapped in vinyl :mad:

Really disappointed but we have both been doing this since 15 years old. We know not to push the schedule just because of our plans and a HUGE DESIRE to get some place. Hopefully its a fast moving system. Both of our schedules allow for a midweek trip with the exact same method/planning.

Here in Florida we forget that north of JAX there is those things called "seasons"!?

Last edited:
KCUB

How about 2-3pm? 6 naked RV's!!! You know I'm gonna camp in front of your hangar till you show up:p

That time sounds good to me. I will see how many of the others I can get there at that time. Just verify that is tomorrow, 3/3/14.

Ps email sent with contact info.

Last edited:
That time sounds good to me. I will see how many of the others I can get there at that time. Just verify that is tomorrow, 3/3/14.

Ps email sent with contact info.

Robert,

Thank you and I did receive the contact info.

Currently we are waiting for the weather in NC to pass through. I'll give you a call later today.

Scott

(888) 310-3358 is a good contact for me if you need.

Dark vinyl and the sun.

Some aircraft avoid dark colors to avoid excess heating when parked in the sun (hot cockpits and warm fuel tanks). I wonder if vinyl is essentially the same, OR due to it's plastic nature, is it more insulative and therefore transfers less heat from the sun to sheet aluminum below? A carbon fiber vinyl print would look very cool but may be too hot in the sun for cockpits and fuel tanks? How does vinyl compare to paint or bare aluminum in terms of surface heating?

Bevan

Some aircraft avoid dark colors to avoid excess heating when parked in the sun (hot cockpits and warm fuel tanks). I wonder if vinyl is essentially the same, OR due to it's plastic nature, is it more insulative and therefore transfers less heat from the sun to sheet aluminum below? A carbon fiber vinyl print would look very cool but may be too hot in the sun for cockpits and fuel tanks? How does vinyl compare to paint or bare aluminum in terms of surface heating?

Bevan

Bevan,

This is a photo of my RV8 sitting on the ramp in Orlando FL. I wrapped with the darkest color (other then black). I did this to test what you are talking about. My aircraft sits on the ramp for 4-5days at a time in some of the hottest summer days in the US. My personal conclusion is that there is no difference.

Both of our aircraft have carbon fiber and brushed metal vinyl wraps. We are very happy with our product in all conditions.

*** The Black Carbon Fiber that we use has actually been used within the engine compartment of high end luxury sports cars Ferrari and Lambo. High temps within or on your aircraft are not a factor.

Regards,

Scott

PS Sorry for the delayed response. You got me during my coffee and VAF time :D.

Last edited:
Bevan

I will have Scott pop on and answer this - he has personal experience with both

I just scrolled down to re-read your post and I see he's beat me to it, not sure how I missed that!

I want samples but could not find this on your web site. How do we pay etc?
[QUOTE
We will send samples to anyone that asks. We have now created a selection within our credit card payment system for samples and aircraftwraps design sheets specific to your model $14.00 with 2 day fedex. We were sending them free and spent over $300 in shipping alone during the last week! We are not making money on this $14.00, just covering the FedEx shipping.

Regards,

Scott[/QUOTE]

Back