What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop shipping crate

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Anyone have a picture of a prop crate? I?ll be pulling my Whirlwind 200RV prop in fit inspection/overhaul this winter. I don?t have s box for it so was planning on building a wood one.
Looking for ideas
Thanks

I don't have a picture, but mine was built with 1'' pine and was almost exactly the length/width/thickness of the prop with thin foam on the prop tips and center hub. If you took the box and shook it the prop wouldn't move at all. It was a very simple rectangular box with very thing foam for protection. Seemed to work just fine.

I visited a repair shop several years ago and saw a prop that was shipped in a Sonotube,??. may be something to consider.

Catto

Ships in cardboard with white foam pieces in contact with the prop AND cardboard corner angles on all sides taped on.

Call Jeremy at WW and ask him to send you an empty box. You'd pay for it and shipping, but it would A-cost you less than constructing a wood box, B-be perfectly suited for the prop and C-cost you a lot less to ship to him since that wood box will weigh a lot!

Crate

D86hKD8r

Here is how someone sent a prop to me. It was a 3 blade, so it took some construction. Prop arrived good as new.

I'd be tempted to pad it and put it in one of the large cardboard tubes that are used as concrete forms. They can be sourced at your local home improvement store.

Back