What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy bonding

buchaneer

Hi
About to buy Sikaflex for attaching my canopy and wondering about how many tubes to buy.
Can it be comfortably done with with 1 or do you need 2 tubes as expensive stuff.
Duncan

Industrial glue........stuff

SIKAFLEX is just a brand name. Some boat/yacht builder supplier have them in their catalogs, some hardware store sell it as well (e.g. Bauhaus in germany), car tuning or body shops need this stuff too.

You do not have to use SIKAFLEX. You can use any comparable adhesive, car body stuff, boating adhesive to glue windows in, industrial stickystuff...........a lot of brands produce stuff for the same purpose.

Google the technical data sheet from SIKAFLEX, then go on and google the tech-sheets of the stuff you can buy close by and/or cheaper. Go and buy close by.

How many?
1 tube is definitely too less.
2 might work out
3 is definitely enough and piece of mind
4 is like 3 but you can practise.........(i think working with that stuff is comparable to working with pro seal)
5 is like 4, and you will end up walking through your house (car) looking for things to be fixed/glued......:D

300ml on the SIKA and 250ml primer... used about half of each.

+1. Bought two 300 ml tubes and didn't use all of one tube on my 7 tipper. Used less than half of both the cleaner and primer. All good after 4 yrs and 500+ hours.

conopy bonding

Thanks for the couple of you that answered my query.
Only trouble is that there are conflicting choices of primer.
Most have used Sika Primer 209D I think but if you go from the Sika product selector for Aluminium/ perspex there are 3 choices 207, 209D and 210.
the more you look into something the more confusing it becomes. 210 seems to be the one which states metal to plastic bonds so even more confused.
Any expert guidance appreciated
Duncan

No expert

But i Sika-Flexed, like many others, my slider over 5 years and 700 flying hours ago. I used the Sika 205 Activator and the Sika 209 D Primer. ALL Sika brand. Flew this morning - it didnt fly off and still going strong.

Back