What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim tab limit

Cervelott

Just doing the annual inspection. About an 1/8th inch play either direction in the mechanical elevator trim tab at the TE. Looks to be some stretch in the cable. Cause for concern?

Thanks in advance.

Had about the same play in my 4 with mechanical trim. Was just the combination of the slight play in all connections and the cable. My 7 with electric trim has less. About 450 hrs on each.

I've seen this on a -6 where there was wear between the elevator trim cable's fixed outer sleeve and the internal moveable core. The A&P advised that the cable needed to be replaced because obviously it's not a good thing if a control surface can flap about freely. I don't recall if it was more or less than 1/8 inch free play but it was noticeable when wiggling up and down the trailing edge of the trim tab.

Last edited:
I think part of the play is also the 180 degree turn the trim cable makes near the handle. My RV6 has had a little play for years with no problems.

Thanks for your responses gents, will have my AME have a closer look, might not be the cable.

Thought perhaps Vans would have a specified limitation on the max play. I’ll check with them in the morning.

The clevis pin was wearing the hole in the horn on my airplane. I put in a bronze bushing and put a spring over the end of the cable to take up the play. You could force the tab against the spring, but there was no way it was going to just flap in the breeze anymore.

Ed Holyoke

Straight from Van's technical support earlier today.

We do not have a limit on this, best I can say is inspect the hardware and E-718/E-717 trim tab horns for excessive wear.

A little play is normal as these items are not intended to be press fit. My personal aircraft has 1/4" of play at the trailing edge if I push it up and down by hand.

This is a well-documented issue with manual trim tabs and Van's has repeatedly in the past indicated that 1/4" or so of play is a non-issue. FWIW, Mike Seager's RV-7 used for transition training had this same play.

Back