What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad/Android?

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I know this question has surfaced before but technology changes rapidly and hard to keep up sometimes. Looking for latest & greatest idea for a GPS backup.

Currently use an IPhone 6 and/or an IPad Mini 4 running Garmin Pilot for cross country flying. I love Garmin Pilot but not a big fan of the IPhone/IPad Mini screen brightness. On a sunny day they are pretty much worthless in the RV-4 (except for music). Cloudy days or night flying it's wonderful but since most of my flying is on sunny days I'd like a better display.

I do like the small size of the Mini so don't want anything bigger than that. Have read inputs about using Android type devices with great screens but don't know what kind of software is available for them (Garmin Pilot, Foreflight etc).

Suggestions?

In the past the Android version of GarminPilot always seemed to be a few steps behind the Apple version, but still worked just fine. I'm a fan of Samsung Galaxy Tabs although my current device is an iPad Mini.

As for screen brightness, not sure any of the Androids will be that much better in the cockpit in direct sunlight. Hopefully someone will real world experience will chime in.

Nexus 7 in my -4

I use a Nexus 7 in my -4. I have a small Ipaq based GPS on my panel that I use for general purpose, but rely on my Nexus 7 with free AVARE app for travel. It has outstandingly bright screen (important in a -4 where there is little shade) and it is very easy to make on the go changes. I have a very simple leg strap with velcro to stick it on my lap. No external antenna needed and 3D altitude is very accurate.

For a backup to my Dynon Skyview, I fly with one of the newer ipad pros with FlyQ and a home brew raspberry pi GPS/ADS-B really like it. No real problems in the sun.

+1 for Nexus 7. I've used both the original & 2nd gen (2013) versions, and both work great in my -4. Screen visibility is fine, and GPS reception is good, too. App of choice is Avare for me, as well. Don't do enough cross country to need the elaborate flight planning of Foreflight.

BTW, you can get ADS-B data streams into a N-7 hardwired directly from the same SDR used in the Stratux, but without the pi.

Charlie

It's been Garmin Pilot running on a Nexus 7 since 2013 for me. I bought a Garmin GDL-39 for wx and traffic last summer. I fly a -9A.

Galaxy Tab S2, 8?. Readable in a bright sunlit cockpit, fits the same mounts as an iPad Mini gen 1-3. Fast, good internal GPS.

Android

One more vote for Android.

I have some Samsung Galaxy Tab's and I like those. Biggest reason for me is the more open ecosystem compared to iOS.

And if you are planning to use your devices for any home automation / smart home gadgets I have just good experiences with Android devices and Apps. I like that I can do lot of things by saying "Alexa ....." or "OK Google .....". I feel that it listen better than my wife. Or it might be just the response time, milliseconds vs. 2 min later I hear "what did you say".

Android

Another vote for Android, samsung galaxy using AVARE. For a free app it does everything I need. I also like to use Flight plan go when checking weather but I think AVARE is much more user friendly

Cut The Glare

I'm mostly an iPad user, but I've flown with a Samsung Galaxy Tab as well. They both work under most conditions but the glare can be pretty bad. Both are bright enough to be seen under _most_ conditions. As with many things, it really comes down to personal preference and experience.

For the past couple of years I've been using both an iPad Mini 4 and a 2017 iPad 9.7" with an ArmorGlas screen protector. The ArmorGlas is darn expensive (about $50) but works better than any other screen protector / glare-reducer. Without it, the iPad's screen turns into a mirror when the sun is above/behind you. With it you read the screen at any angle / lighting.

The word of caution: it does not work well with the RAM cradle mount. The RAM is just a bit too tight, and eventually puts small cracks the ArmorGlass in the corners where it binds.

(FYI - I'm not in any way associated with ArmorGlas - just a satisfied customer.)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Good info,
- any particular models/versions to look for?
- do all S2s have a built in GPS?
- all can recharge to a USB port?

+1 for the 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, especially running FltPlanGo for displaying geo-referenced approach plates.

:cool:

Last edited:
I've used an original iPad, first- and second-gen Nexus 7's, and now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8". It's about the same size as the second gen Nexus 7, with a slightly larger viewable area. I never had issues with readability on any of them, I used them clipped to a kneeboard and found that on the off chance the sun was *exactly* in the reflection, I could tilt it on my thigh and get rid of the glare quite easily. If you're looking at a RAM mount, I expect you could easily remove bad reflections with a tilt adjustment when needed. FWIW, the GPS on all of these work well from that location on my thigh, I have had no issues with it being low in the cockpit.

I second reports that the Nexus devices were great. Yes, I say "were". I wouldn't recommend buying a first-gen Nexus these days, it'll be very slow to use compared to a more modern device. The second-gen Nexus will be great *today*, but will lose ability over time as Android versions increase and software gets more bloated.

FltPlanGo, Garmin Pilot, etc. all run beautifully on the Tab S2, and it should be new enough and powerful enough to be "future proofed" for a while.

Last edited:
Nexus Software bloating???

I second reports that the Nexus devices were great. Yes, I say "were". I wouldn't recommend buying a first-gen Nexus these days, it'll be very slow to use compared to a more modern device. The second-gen Nexus will be great *today*, but will lose ability over time as Android versions increase and software gets more bloated.

Hi Snowflake, I've got a Nexus 9 in my 8. (My old eyes can see it in bright sunlight) I don't use it for anything, but Garmin Pilot---nothing at home. Would my software get more "bloated" over time??

Hi Snowflake, I've got a Nexus 9 in my 8. (My old eyes can see it in bright sunlight) I don't use it for anything, but Garmin Pilot---nothing at home. Would my software get more "bloated" over time??
The Nexus 9 was also a great tablet... I was just about to buy one when they were discontinued!

Yes, over time, you'll find that it gets slower. Android OS will upgrade, Garmin Pilot (or FltPlanGo, or whatever) will add more features, etc. If the only thing you use it for is flying, it should last a lot longer, but you will eventually want to replace it. Note the screen on the 9, while really nice, isn't as nice as some of the newer tablets. Even the Tab S2 would be a noticeable improvement if you're having trouble seeing the screen.

Back