What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twin RV-3?

dlomheim

Well Known Member
I just got back from a 4-day trip to Kelly-Lackland AFB, and saw the following a/c in person; which I previously had only seen in the history books. In looking at it, I had to wonder if this wouldn't be a cool project in the future based on a "3", "4", or "8" fuselage...??? What do you all think? :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrc36r0juh299bw/F82.jpg

Doug Lomheim
RV-3 NMC for an engine mount crack
RV-9 still awaiting some attention to complete

For some reason my computer won't go to my own link here, so please let me know if you all can...thx.

Last edited:
Check back old issues of the RVator. Around the early '90s. You will find a similar aircraft known as the RV-8. It was proposed to be built out of RV-4 parts and using engines, landing gear and other parts from a Piper Apache.

If you find the issue pay particular attention to the date on the drawing.

Last edited:
Fun thought experiment, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to try it out. Though I suppose they said the same thing about climbing the Himalayas....

As I remember from the history books, the twin mustang only saw about 2 yrs service (in Korea I think) before being shelved. Jets pushed them aside pretty quick.

BTW Kel-Lac give me the shivers.....

Last edited:
Call me crazy too...

Weird...Something in the air....I was thinking kinda the same thing the other day, only I was thinking of (2) RV-8 fuses with a pod in the middle like the P-38 Lightning!
Might have trouble getting the counter rotating prop and engine though:D
If only I had more money....

engine and prop would be no problem. pa39 used cr io-320's only problem is thr wrong dynafocal mount. but that can be changed. the seminole used cr 360's.

Seeing double...

I just got back from a 4-day trip to Kelly-Lackland AFB, and saw the following a/c in person; which I previously had only seen in the history books. In looking at it, I had to wonder if this wouldn't be a cool project in the future based on a "3", "4", or "8" fuselage...??? What do you all think? :)

Doug Lomheim

For some reason my computer won't go to my own link here, so please let me know if you all can...thx.

Doug,
Not an RV but similar size and weight, Zenith actually built a prototype Gemini 620 twin based on their single fuselage and wing. http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft7/60.htm

V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org

PS: Deja voodoo, my Dad flew twin Mustangs briefly during the Korean conflict...

Last edited:
XP 82

Tom Riley is about half done restoring an XP82 in Douglas Georgia. Flew my RV8 along with a few RV4s to take the very pleasant and personal tour last Saturday. It is very unique and Tom loves to tell the story.

There is the other option of two fuselages but one engine...:)

66cee12_500x333.jpg

Yes, it is real.

The CAF used to have a twin mustang that the lovingly cared for and restored for decades. Then certain SOB's from the USAF wanted it for their collection. (At Dayton I believe).

The CAF fought them for years, but ultimately lost. I visited the CAF right after they lost the final legal challenge and they were having to prepare it to ship back to the Air Force. The place was like a funeral parlor that day.

Hey Smokey,
That Gemini looks like a Wing Derringer....really cool plane.

Hope they can get a kit out soon, would like to see some flying.

Glenn Wilkinson

Sorry.......

Hey Smokey,
Glenn Wilkinson

That project was scrapped years ago.

The CAF used to have a twin mustang that the lovingly cared for and restored for decades. Then certain SOB's from the USAF wanted it for their collection. (At Dayton I believe).

The CAF fought them for years, but ultimately lost. I visited the CAF right after they lost the final legal challenge and they were having to prepare it to ship back to the Air Force. The place was like a funeral parlor that day.

I worked for the CAF in Harlingen, TX around 1983. The P-82 was grounded the entire time I was there because of crack in one of the prop hubs. Apparently the props were unique to the P-82 and there were no spares. The plan was to weld the crack. I don't know what the eventual fix was.

Karl

It is, very cool...

Hey Smokey,

Glenn Wilkinson

Glenn,
Not to hijack the thread any further but I am also a member of the Thorp T-18 society. (as are many others on this site). One of the T-18 owners also owns one of the very few Derringers ever built. From photos and performance specs alongside his T-18, John Thorp's genius shines through in many places. It's performance numbers are very similar to many clean 180HP Thorp T-18's and RV's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Derringer

Merry Christmas!
Smokey

WING “DERRINGER”
1965/1976/1981

STANDARD DATA: Seats 2. Gross wt. 3,050. Empty wt. 2,070. Fuel capacity 88. Engines two 160-hp Lycomings.
PERFORMANCE: Top mph 232. Cruise mph 219. Stall mph 72. Initial climb rate 1,700. Range 1,160. Ceiling 19,600. Takeoff distance (50') 1, 180. Landing distance (50') 2,100.
The Wing Derringer was powered by twin 160-hp engines driving Hartzell constant-speed full-feathering propellers, and was awarded FAA type certification in 1966. The Derringer made use of unique manufacturing techniques with a patented wing construction utilizing a stretch-formed chemically milled exterior skin. All exterior surfaces were aerodynamically smooth. The Derringer’s wings featured integral fuel tanks. After a delay of many years, it appeared as though the Derringer would reenter production in the early 1980s. The airplane’s target was travelers who usually commuted in pairs. If the Model I had been a success, designer George Wing planned to add turbocharging and then possibly go to a four-place turbofan. Unfortunately, the Derringer never found its way into further production.

Last edited:
A friend on the airport has one of the D1's, I always do a double take everytime I see it, could definately pass for a twin RV

Wing_Derringer_007-vi.jpg

Looks like someone already did it with a popular ultralight. Well, they did it in Photoshop, anyway....

21t21f.jpg

Dave

Very interesting! I share a hangar with the current owner of this Legal Eagle XL. Of course it is not really a "twin" but the photoshop job looks pretty cool. This aircraft is for sale if anyone is interested, the owner needs avionics money to finish his RV-7 so the XL needs to go. This XL is unique in that it is powered by a Valley Engineering Big Twin engine, which makes quite a bit more power than the half VW.

Doug Lomheim

Nice Picture. I have one like it in a box, I took there 25 yrs ago. If I recall, an early version of the Canberra Bomber is there too, that had been modified for high altitude recon work, replaced by the U-2. I remember a lot of these oddities left over in the 50's and 60's from rush job engineering to meet a government RFP with something all ready on hand.

Back