What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blind Rivet Problem

glenn654

Well Known Member
I need to set 8 blind rivets in a confined location and I need a rivet tool with a pulling head 2" or less and all I have found measure 3" including the handle.

I have tried a swivel head puller but it was also too long.

My available riveters would pull at about 45 degs.

Does anyone have any tricks or know of a tool source I could try?

Glenn Wilkinson

I had a similar issue when installing the Vans ELT bracket. The bottom row of blind rivets could not be pulled so I used #6 screws with nuts instead.

Tool

The PRP-26A close quarter tool is about 2" from tip to handle. Maybe someone near has one you can borrow. Kinda pricey tool.

Glenn Wilkinson

Could try grinding the puller end piece. I've been able to get about 10-15 degrees that way. Might be enough if you grind the handle a bit as well. Have several modifed $10 stanley pullers.

I had a similar problem, go here to see how I solved it (page 4 I think has a photo). Took me a few months of head scratching to figure this one out.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=75023&page=4

I need to set 8 blind rivets in a confined location and I need a rivet tool with a pulling head 2" or less and all I have found measure 3" including the handle.

I have tried a swivel head puller but it was also too long.

Does anyone have any tricks or know of a tool source I could try?

Glenn Wilkinson

yes me too on the elt bracket, incert rivet, bend nail use standard puller, no problem

Pic?

Need pictures to help..also, where are you located? I have offset cherrymax pullers that get in small places, and there are other options perhaps if you can better describe.

When I get to the hanger this weekend I'll get some pictures of what I am trying to do and I'm sure everyone can get a better idea about what I have written.

Oh, I have also ordered that part from Avery Tool suggested on an earlier post....maybe it will help.

Thanks,
Glenn

Back