What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing walk

jacksel

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the wing walk material offered by Ray Allen? It's about the same price as the Van's offering, and it sounds like it's somewhat different material but haven't heard anything about the quality.

I used stuff my kid had leftover from a skateboard------worked quite well.

I just put a few 1" wide strips down the wing walk area, knowing I would be replacing it after paint.

DSC06025.jpg

After paint, I used the factory stuff. Way more expensive-------but custom fitted to the plane.

Carrie%2520Hawaii%2520tirp%25202013%2520040.JPG

Both worked just fine.

Last edited:
I used a cool looking skateboard grip tape, I just sprayed a little extra 3m adhesive on the tape and the walk area. Looks cool and I paid 20 bucks total.
Live outside the box.

I used the Ray Allen wingwalk for the floorboards in my Eagle. It is more rubber like instead of the sandpaper texture of most wingwalk. I think it looks nicer. I just put it in and haven't used it yet, so I cannot comment on how well it holds up or how easy it is to keep clean.

I have the Ray Allen stuff on the wing walk and interior floors in an RV8. Its been 5 years and 700 hours it works great looks nice holds up well.

DanR

Cleanable

I used the Ray Allen product as well. I like the fact the texture is not supplied with abrasive so that you may wash the wing walk area when washing the plane. You can clean it back to the new look and not worry about having loose abrasive from a standard wing walk compound getting on your sponge and scratching the paint or worse, the canopy. I think the Vans wing walk is from Ray Allen.

I used the stuff available from Home Depot. It's used for outside steps and has a thin reflective edge on it (which I cut off). It's the exact length needed and has held up well. Its also pretty cheap at right around $8.00 bucks.

On the RV12 the walk goes over round-head rivets. So I used the wing walk paint from Spruce instead of the peel-and-stick. I used several layers of masking tape outline to make it thick, and it worked great and has held up.

I used the Ray Allen material on the left wing of my RV8 and on the floor by the rudder peddles. It has held up well and I too like that it does not have the abrasive imbedded in it

Fly boy

I used the rubbery wing walk material from FlyBoyAccessories. According to Vince, this is very rugged material developed for a marine environment. I had an issue after a year with the material separating from the glue. (glue remained on the wing).

Vince made it right and the replacement is holding up well. Much nicer on the knees than sandpaper type wing walk.

Dimensions

What are the dimensions for a -7 wing walk from the factory? Does anyone deviate + or - from this?

+1 for the Ray Allen WW material...went on cleanly, looks great, not as abrasive and cleans up easily. Only about 1 year since putting it down after paint, but so far...a big thumb's up! (I have buddies who used it and after 6-7 years, still looks like new!).

I used Ray Allen WW on my -4 for 10yrs and my only complaint it that it is cut too narrow.
You couldn't avoid stepping off the edge occasionally and scuffing the paint.

I they are listening....cut the material 4" wider so it is not so easily stepped off of and will lessen the likely hood of damaging an expensive paint job.

Glenn Wilkinson

Ray Allen does not sell it anymore, although it is still listed on their website. I tried to order some from them a couple months ago. They said it is the same WW as Vans offered, so I bought from Vans. Very nice.

It might be worth the look at Camping World or a similar store. I'm not sure of the size, but they have it for camper steps.

Back