What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cannon plugs

acam37

Well Known Member
I need an 18 pin round connector for my infinity stick grip. I've looked at different types of connectors but what I want is the round type that plugs in and has a 1/4 turn lock. I know they exist but have been unable to find a source. Can someone point me in the right direction?

What you want are Mil-DTL-5015 connectors. You have to choose the bulkhead connector for the aircraft side, and the straight or angled connector that mates to it for the stick side.

Entire manuals (plural) are dedicated to Mil-DTL-5015 conncetors. Plus, each manufacturer (like Amphenol and Cannon) has tons of proprietary literature on their products.

If you are replacing a connector, its not too difficult to find the manufacturer's or milspec part number and order a suitable replacement from somewhere like mouser.com. But, to select a suitable connector pair for a new install can be tricky. The best advice I can give you would be to contact a product representative and explain your situation and ask for their help in selecting the appropriate connectors, back-shells and strain reliefs.

Ampehnol's connector web page is http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/connectorbasics

Other than that, perhaps someone out there has already done the legwork for you. You might call one of the plug-n-play avionics companies that advertise on VAF.

Just food for thought. These style of connectors are great for high density, compact, applications where servicing or removing equipment is anticipated.
If you do not need these features, consider using simple insulated spade lugs or knife connectors shrink wrapped. They are cheap, easy, and you can troubleshoot wire by wire. For many, it is likely to never need to mess with the connections for the life of the airplane.
This does not look as nice and takes more room, but out of site, out of mind, and if you don't anticipate removing the stick, it will save you money and time.

I like that plug that Dave used. That's what I am looking for. I may order that one. I can't believe that such a simple connector is so hard to find.

While the circular, mil spec connectors are ideal for this application I used a standard DB connector for this usage. Why? They are cheap, I used a lot of them to connect avionics, etc and as such have all the proper crimp tooling on hand, and since I used them a lot I buy the pins both male and female in bulk.

As for locking the connections together I just put the covering shells on sans the normal mounting screws and the use small zip ties to hold them together.

Since DB connectors come in 9, 15, 25, 37 pin configurations you can choose the size you need. Just get the type with machined pins and don't even consider the solder type from radio shack. Steins, among others can set you up.

Or you could go the circular route. As others have shown Newark Electronics can supply. Or I've had good luck with Digikey or Allied Electronics. Google is your friend here. No shortage of options but the old reliable DB series is probably the best bang for the buck IMHO.

I used the round one you are talking about - an Amp circular plug. It was part of the wire bundle I got from Aerotronics. I really like it, and they are pretty easy to use, and pin, compared to Molex types. Keep in mind that the circular plugs use their own size of pins.

John

Back