What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ElectroAir installation

Davea320

Well Known Member
Looking for some examples of an ElectroAir ignition installation on your RV. I’m particularly interested in some photos of the location of your coil pack on the firewall side (firewall mounting or engine mount) and cabin location/installation of the controller and MAP sensor. Thanks in advance for the help.
Dave

Your picture reminds me of my sold -3. It was really tight behind the engine! And I see nutplates along the top of the firewall. That mod is a big improvement over trying to fit the wires into the hinges on the plans. RV-3 is a fun airplane!

Really tight!

Yes, so true in both respects. Fortunately, except for servicing the pressure screen I never had to do any work on the back of the engine. That was a good airplane and set up really well by the previous owner. I flew the heck out of it and besides preventative maintenance never had to put any work or $ into it.

Cabin side support

Not the best picture but all I have. RV-3, top right of FW
That’s sorta what I’d like to do, but not sure how to support the attachment screws to the thin stainless steel firewall. I think I can get at least two corners of the coil pack attached to firewall angle, however still looking for ideas to support the upper corners. Also interested in location of cabin side components.
Tentative location.
Dave

Attachments

• DC7DFF51-47CA-4C02-9FC6-50F07DB54358.jpg
    DC7DFF51-47CA-4C02-9FC6-50F07DB54358.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
That’s sorta what I’d like to do, but not sure how to support the attachment screws to the thin stainless steel firewall. I think I can get at least two corners of the coil pack attached to firewall angle, however still looking for ideas to support the upper corners. Also interested in location of cabin side components.
Tentative location.
Dave

I have one older ElectroAir ("Jeff Rose") unit on an RV6 built about 20 years ago and with over 2000 hours.

Two suggestions (assuming that what you have is similar in design:

1. Look into a (thick) plate on the other side of the firewall that has nutplates for mounting. You may want to remove the unit for some reason later.

2. Revisit being just behind the oil filter. Mine is offset towards the pilot side and thus a bit more (MUCH APPRECIATED) space behind the filter. Things can get tight there during oil changes as you try NOT to spill oil. The other advantage is if you need to open the case to make adjustments, it is easier to reach.

This system has worked fine over the years. Actually, after a year or two, Jeff improved the system from the "gold" model to the "purple" model (as I recall) and I switched out to the improved model.

ElectroAir

On my RV9 slider the coil pack is right of center. Installed nutplates in the flange of the right rib for the outboard bolts and a doubler plate with nutplates riveted to the firewall for the inner bolts. I have acess panels. The control unit mounts on a rail with nutplates as shown. MAP sensor on the left side rib.

Attachments

• A15FA350-4C40-4264-8861-854C22A4E27E.jpg
    A15FA350-4C40-4264-8861-854C22A4E27E.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 123
  • FF09413F-6BA7-4F4A-AF4E-DA4B96B5CCC2.jpg
    FF09413F-6BA7-4F4A-AF4E-DA4B96B5CCC2.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 124
  • 24F5F15A-E194-46A6-ADEA-CD36EC124406.jpg
    24F5F15A-E194-46A6-ADEA-CD36EC124406.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 107
  • ACAE50C7-CC68-4265-83E9-CC9D55C325B6.jpg
    ACAE50C7-CC68-4265-83E9-CC9D55C325B6.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 126
Electroair Installation

Dave,

I have an Electroair system that has worked well with the only issue being the map sensor which was originally installed on the engine side of the firewall. Heat eventually wore it out and I had to send it to Electroair for replacement. I moved it to the cockpit side of the firewall next to the EIS controller and no issues since. The coils are installed on a mount attached to the right side of the engine mount.

I’ll get some pictures next time I’m at the hangar and post them here

Last edited:
Electroair

Dave,

Here’s some pics of the installation. The EIS controller and MAP sensor are recommended on the cockpit side of the firewall. You can see them in the forward baggage area just above the smoke oil tank.

Back