What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini-X

Glenn - that's a question that can be interpreted a few different ways, but I'll take a stab at it.

The Mini, with its built-in GPS, is capable of sending GPS data to other devices via one of the Mini's RS232 serial outputs. One of the more common formats, NMEA 0183, is supported. This is the format that's accepted by many other devices like autopilots.

Mini X

I have my Mini X as a backup for my HXr and it is connected to my GRT Autopilot. I use the gps from the Mini X driving the AP often. Works great !!

I have my Mini X as a backup for my HXr and it is connected to my GRT Autopilot. I use the gps from the Mini X driving the AP often. Works great !!

Len, I wonder if you could elaborate on this. You're saying you "use the GPS from your mini X driving the autopilot {often}". This implies--- to me anyhow, that you have an IFR airplane and that you've got it rigged/wired, so either your HXr OR your mini X can drive your autopilot. Have I got it right? If so, could you briefly explain here how you did that?

you've got it rigged/wired, so either your HXr OR your mini X can drive your autopilot. Have I got it right? If so, could you briefly explain here how you did that?

I have a similar setup with a Mini X and HX combination.

There are two ways I interpret your question, one is the gps source used to drive the autopilot for navigation purposes, and the other is the EFIS that is actually driving the autopilot. You can do both, actually.

Mini X and HX are connected together via a serial link, and they share a bunch of data over that link.

In scenario one above, the HX is connected to the autopilot servos via a serial link, so the HX is directly driving the autopilot. The HX can have multiple GPS sources, one of which can be the Mini X over the serial link connected between the Mini X and the HX.

In my setup, I have a toggle switch on the serial link going to the autopilot servos. A Mini X serial port is connected to one side of the toggle, an HX serial is connected to the other side of the toggle, and the autopilot serial link is the common connection on the toggle. When the switch is in the down position, the HX drives the autopilot, and when the switch is in the up position the Mini X drives the autopilot

Does this answer your question?

-Dj

GRT Mini X

I have the same type setup with a toggle switch determining if the HXr or the Mini is running the autopilot!

I have a similar setup with a Mini X and HX combination.

There are two ways I interpret your question, one is the gps source used to drive the autopilot for navigation purposes, and the other is the EFIS that is actually driving the autopilot. You can do both, actually.

Mini X and HX are connected together via a serial link, and they share a bunch of data over that link.

In scenario one above, the HX is connected to the autopilot servos via a serial link, so the HX is directly driving the autopilot. The HX can have multiple GPS sources, one of which can be the Mini X over the serial link connected between the Mini X and the HX.

In my setup, I have a toggle switch on the serial link going to the autopilot servos. A Mini X serial port is connected to one side of the toggle, an HX serial is connected to the other side of the toggle, and the autopilot serial link is the common connection on the toggle. When the switch is in the down position, the HX drives the autopilot, and when the switch is in the up position the Mini X drives the autopilot

Does this answer your question?

-Dj

Yes, perfectly----Thanks so much

Back