What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire removal

Bobsbeer

I'm New Here
Hello, I've ownedan RV-4 for the last two years. In the past I would remove top cowl and use an engine hoist to remove main tires for servicing. Is there an easier way to jack up the plane? Thanks.

There is a lot of info in the forums about jacking- try a search. I can say one thing for sure. Do not lift the airplane by the engine lifting eye, if that is what you are doing. This risks cracking the case. Lycoming has had notes out stating not to use the engine lifting eye for anything other than the engine. I have replaced engines with cracked cases and found a history of someone using the lifting eye for lifting the aircraft.

I use seat belt type webbing strapped around the engine mount to lift the aircraft.

For better or worse, I have always raised my -4 using an aircraft wing jack and a "stud" threaded into the wing tie down point. These plastic studs have a spherical end and 3/8" threads to fit the tie down. I purchased a pair years ago from Avery Tools, though I could not find them when I just looked. AntiSplatAero offers a fancier version:

http://antisplataero.com/Quality_Jack_Points.html

Good luck,

i just remove the wheel pant, remove the brake caliper, and then use a piece of 4x4 behind the wheel with a 18 inch piece of 1" square tube under the axle with a floor jack in front. get it up just high enough to remove the wheel. take the wheel off and set it down on another chunk of 4x4 under the axle.

if you want to go all out, weld a chunk of tube split in half on the square tube to cradle the axle.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

ACS Tire Jack Stand

Haven't used mine yet but I bought this setup from Spruce - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rvjack.php

Here's the description from the website:

"Someday you?ll need to jack up your aircraft to install new tires, clean & grease wheel bearings, or fix a flat. This nifty jack stand is safer than using an engine hoist or the wing tie down location. Requires a modification to the axle nuts (about 1 hour). Kit includes the axle jack arm, axle nut modification hardware, & directions to modify the nuts. For hollow axles (Wittman style) Gear only. Uses automotive bottle jack. Jack not included. Not for RV-8s. For RV Gear Legs with Hole in Axle."

diy jacks

Harbor Freights aviation department has sales occasionally on their 24 inch bottle jacks. Search VAF to find examples some are made with plywood base and half inch emt and others are welded. Mine have a metal base with a welded vertical upright. The jacks are secured to the upright with U shaped threaded rod ...simple. A three eighths bolt with large fender washers engage the top of the jack with the tie down ring. Make the base large enough for stability.

I have used the same method that you describe. It works, but it's putting quite a load on the tailwheel.

I have a purpose made jack called the RV Hi-Jack that is designed for the taper rod type RV gears. Unfortunately they don't seem to be made any more and I doubt the people who have them would want to sell. But if you do find one, grab it as they work very nicely and can dismantle to be easily carried with your 'big trip' kit.

I've also seen a scissor-lift table slid under the belly with a few cushions and the whole aircraft lifted.

Creative options

My Snap-On 1/2" breaker bar fits in the axle tube perfect, so I take the axle nut off, slide the breaker bar in handle first, put my cheapo car floor jack under it and lift the tire just off the ground, slide everything over to the breaker bar, and place a wood block under axle. No risk of wing jacks..( Had a Boeing 767 slip off jacks at day job)...that's a 3 beer story and just use your imagination. I do re-install the same way, and accomplish wheel nut torque while rolling plane back and forth. If you do the wheel nut modification it can be torqued while lifting bar is still in place.

Jack up

Hose clip around axle, screw boss at the bottom then trolly jack lifting on the screw boss. Works very well.
After using, loosen the hose clip turn it around until screw boss is out of the way, tighten then it is always there and out of the way of the spats.

Rob

Hose clamp is what I use because it is so convienent and I turn it around as poster indicated just in case it is needed on road. I have a nice set of wing jacks but they are too much trouble for just a quick tire change.

This always worked well for me.

Have your machine shop cut a sturdy steel tube approximately 1" long and weld that to a piece of flat stock to create a cup. Then weld the shank of the 3/8 bolt to the center of the flat section of the outer side of the cup, now you have a cup on a bolt.
Thread that into the tiedown point and with the forementioned platform use your bottle jack captured by the cup to lift the plane.

Glenn Wilkinson

Measure the distance between the mounts before you order. Some airplanes were 1/2 shorter than others. I found out the hard way. I had to drill and tap, then cross drill a safety wire point on mine to make it shorter.

Works very well but, I only found out later that a shorter one was available.

X

Low cost Jack up method (works away from home too)

Well 2 young guys or 3 older ones with their backs under the wing spar easily lift the tire off the ground (just have everything ready and some wood to put under the axle while you have the tire off)
Peter

Back