What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 Software Update - ARINC Issues Now

jneves

Well Known Member
This weekend I updated my 2 Garmin G5s to the latest software, both took the update and booted up fine. Not I get a warning message on my 430W saying it's "not receiving input data on the 429 channel 1"

Anyone have any input? Could it be a setting, if so any pointers on whether it's the G5 or 430W setting?

Going to contact Garmin, just need some time to be on the phone and that will not happen until tomorrow.

This weekend I updated my 2 Garmin G5s to the latest software, both took the update and booted up fine. Not I get a warning message on my 430W saying it's "not receiving input data on the 429 channel 1"

Anyone have any input? Could it be a setting, if so any pointers on whether it's the G5 or 430W setting?

Going to contact Garmin, just need some time to be on the phone and that will not happen until tomorrow.

The first step for a problem like this is always to check the configuration on both the G5 and GNS 430W.

The A429 input on the 430W should be set to LOW speed and EFIS/AIRDATA.

The G5 configuration should look like this:
A429_GNS430W_GTN650.png

If that is all good, then check the wiring.

Steve

The first step for a problem like this is always to check the configuration on both the G5 and GNS 430W.

The A429 input on the 430W should be set to LOW speed and EFIS/AIRDATA.

The G5 configuration should look like this:
View attachment 22801

If that is all good, then check the wiring.

Steve

Thank you Steve, I'll check the configuration tomorrow. Not sure how the wiring could be the issue since I flew an IFR flight in the AM, updated the G5 software right after (first saw the message at this time, but assumed the 430 needed to be reset so I left it to check later), then when they booted up that afternoon for a flight the message appeared

Appreciate the screen shot, I'll check it again and report back.

ARINC 429 Data

On thing that may cause this is a GAD 29 that is in the process of updating.

When the G5 is in configuration mode, confirm that all LRU's have a green check mark next to them, and their displayed software level matches those listed on the Software Download page.

Thanks,

Justin

So I went into both the G5 and 430 configuration pages. The GAD29 has a green check next to it but no software version listed. I check the configurations and they were set slightly different but match what was there prior to the update. How do I get the GAD29 updated?

No reply from Garmin… yet.
AFAIK updating the G5s should also update the Can bus LRUs such as for instance the GAD29.

And now that you mention it, I will try to remember to check that next time I’m at my steed…

No reply from Garmin… yet.
AFAIK updating the G5s should also update the Can bus LRUs such as for instance the GAD29.

And now that you mention it, I will try to remember to check that next time I’m at my steed…

All the other units were updated except the 29, which went from having a software version to nothing showing.

Waiting for a reply here or from an email I sent them as well.

GAD 29 Software Levels

All the other units were updated except the 29, which went from having a software version to nothing showing.

Waiting for a reply here or from an email I sent them as well.

Thank you for the update, I looked at your email, would you mind sending over some screenshots of what you are seeing in configuration mode, relating to the GAD 29? That should help us get it all sorted out.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you for the update, I looked at your email, would you mind sending over some screenshots of what you are seeing in configuration mode, relating to the GAD 29? That should help us get it all sorted out.

Thanks,

Justin

Sure thing, I will head down to the plane this afternoon and go through the configure screens and get a video and pics.

You aren’t going to like what I have to say but I had this problem with no software being updated to a brand new GAD29B (certified install on a 172) and it bricked my GAD.

I installed a full dual G5 system and had exactly 0 hrs. flight time on it. All of it was installed using canbus wires, 650, 255A, etc. all setup was complete, everything was happy and prior to getting the install signed off I loaded the 8.0 G5 certified software onto it. Everything took the update except for the GAD29B. No checkmark and no software version next to the installed LRU list just like you describe.

After forcing a software revert the GAD29B still would not take any software and Garmin had to do a warranty replacement on a brand new GAD29B.

Last edited:
GAD 29 Software

After reviewing the photos, it does appear the GAD 29 failed to load software. We will be reaching out with a procedure to try and re-load software to the unit. Thank you for your patience in working through this one with us.

Thanks,

Justin

You aren’t going to like what I have to say but I had this problem with no software being updated to a brand new GAD29B (certified install on a 172) and it bricked my GAD.

I installed a full dual G5 system and had exactly 0 hrs. flight time on it. All of it was installed using canbus wires, 650, 255A, etc. all setup was complete, everything was happy and prior to getting the install signed off I loaded the 8.0 G5 certified software onto it. Everything took the update except for the GAD29B. No checkmark and no software version next to the installed LRU list just like you describe.

After forcing a software revert the GAD29B still would not take any software and Garmin had to do a warranty replacement on a brand new GAD29B.

Garmin support said the same thing, but asked that I attempt to roll back the software to an older version they provided to see if the GAD would come back online. If it does, then they said to attempt the update again. If the problem continues either way they will send a replacement to me.

Not the end of the world, no IRF till the replacement is installed, tested and functioning, or the software roll back works.

After reviewing the photos, it does appear the GAD 29 failed to load software. We will be reaching out with a procedure to try and re-load software to the unit. Thank you for your patience in working through this one with us.

Thanks,

Justin

Got your message Justin, I appreciate all the great support from you and the Garmin support team. I need to get my hands on a PC (Mac only for about 12 years now). Should be able to run the procedure you sent later this week and confirm back.

Back