What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR RV-10

Alan A

I am on the verge of ordering the QB kit for the RV-10, but recently I read a builder's comments about the RV-10 kit not really made for IFR. I plan on going IFR and based on the panels I've seen it appears to me that most builders are building IFR RV-10s. Any comments for or against building or flying IFR in the 10?

I far as I know most are doing/have done IFR panels. Why wouldn't you? Mine is IFR. It is an ideal platform for IFR. Vans designs his stuff for day vfr. Practically useless as a traveling machine.

Alan A said:
I am on the verge of ordering the QB kit for the RV-10, but recently I read a builder's comments about the RV-10 kit not really made for IFR. ..
Where have you read this? While Van's official position on the RV-10, in fact all their kits, is that it is for VFR only. Most -10 builders however are opting for full IFR panels with the intention of flying it IFR. It is up to the builder to equip a -10 for VFR or IFR.

Check out this website

Check out Tim Olson's myrv10.com. Dig around and look for his travel report on using the 10 for some hard IFR. He seems more than pleased with his RV-10 and its IFR capability.

Thanks

Thanks. The place I read about some of the difficulty involved with IFR is on the site below:
http://journals.aol.com/jsmcgrew/RV10/

I think the builder was complaining of some difficulty with building around the IFR, but he looks like he is still continuing with his IFR build so I think it must have been just a temporary frustration. Your comments did reasure me that I am on the right on track with my plans for the the QB 10.

Thanks

ALAN, I HAVE BEEN PART OWNER IN A 6A, 7, 7A, 8, AND NOW A 10 AND FLEW ALL OF THEM IFR. GREAT AIRPLANES, VFR AND IFR.
GOOD LUCK.
DOUG PRESTON
BHM

Alan there are three critical things that you should put into your IFR RV-10 panel. A glass moving map duel screen, a good autopilot, and onboard weather.

I have a GRT three screen system with graphics engine montior, PFD, and GPS moving map with WX weather overlay up all the time, with a trutrak autopilot and it is wonderful for IFR. Naturally you also need backups but that is true even in a Cessna.

I backed up my electrical with an SD-8 engine driven alternator but some have gone with small in cockpit battery backups and/or two batterys.

I flying my RV-10 in some really hard IFR working my way around some pretty good cells while IFR in moderiate rain I can say that flying IFR in my RV-10 as set up is so much less stressful than flying IFR in my Cessna 182. Lots safer also as I don't have to depend on ATC to route me around the weather.

I good lesson about flying IFR without on board weather is Scott Crossfield's last flight on an IFR flight plan and his Cessna ending up broken apart in flight.

Alan A said:
I am on the verge of ordering the QB kit for the RV-10, but recently I read a builder's comments about the RV-10 kit not really made for IFR. I plan on going IFR and based on the panels I've seen it appears to me that most builders are building IFR RV-10s. Any comments for or against building or flying IFR in the 10?

Mine is IFR and using steam gauges. No vac, all electric. All antenas are conventional. Will be flying soon, and from the looks of things, it should be an excellent IFR platform, and most likely docile and stable as my old Arrow.
TT
N968TP

Back