What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotating tires

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I assume that when you folks rotate tires, you're taking the tire off the wheel and flipping it. After all, just moving it to the other axle makes the outside of the tire still the outside of the tire.

But once you flip the tire on the wheel, are you reinstalling on the same axle or moving it to the other side.

I always put it back on the same axle. I imagine there is a valid argument, though, to swapping sides so it is turning the same direction.

To swap to the other side you need to jack up both side. I always work on one side at a time.

I always put it back on the same axle. I imagine there is a valid argument, though, to swapping sides so it is turning the same direction.

The direction of rotation should not matter on a bias-ply or even a modern radial tire.

If it IS a factor the direction of rotation will be embossed on the tire itself.

Both Sides at Once

To swap to the other side you need to jack up both side. I always work on one side at a time.

When I rotate the tires on my RV-8, I flip the tires and I swap rims. This is because the left tire usually wears a little faster than the right. I use an automotive engine hoist to jack my plane by lifting it from the engine mount. This allows me to work on both sides simultaneously.

Skylor
RV-8

Back