What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit iPad wouldn't charge - problem solved

genelee59

I'd been using an Android tablet on my panel but switched to an iPad and despite being connected to power it wouldn't charge. I found a solution to the problem and it now works great. Here's what I did...

http://www.thehdpilot.com/blog-article.aspx?id=63

small_525-iPadChargingRip.png

Gene

Out of Stock

Just went to the website to order two but they are showing out ot stock. :mad::( I will look back later.

Thanks for the info.

Another iPad Charging Option

I've been trying to ensure consistent reliable power to my iPad for use in conjunction with my G3X, GDL39, and Garmin Pilot.

The USB adaptor I've been using is by Wireless, it used to be sold by Apple, but the accessories list now only shows three types of InCase chargers. They supposedly supply 2.4 amps, and a purchaser should be able to assume that they will allow rapid charging.

I found this one on Amazon today: "Apple Certified Lightning Car Charger - Works With iOS8 - USB Socket Rapidly Charges 2 Devices - Keeps You Connected On The Road - Lifetime Guarantee."

It's by Lightningfast, but I didn't include the link because I think I remember something about not doing that on the forum?

Even so, none of the reviews of chargers relate to our specific requirements, and a friend (with a Mooney) reports this:

"Even with a 2.4a charger, it won't keep up with my iPad/Stratus/Foreflight setup. I can stretch it out for several hours by turning the iPad off for 10 minutes per hour. I've found when I need it for a long leg, the portable power packs work better than the charger. I have a 1600mah pack about the size of my wallet, and it lasts all day, never discharging the iPad battery."

The aftermarket solution mentioned in this thread apparently solves the problem, but I don't have the time to install it before a trip coming up.

The battery-pack solution might be a player. I asked him the brand, model, and where he got it, but haven't yet received a reply.

To charge a smart device such as a cellphone or iPad the data line of the USB charge port must be shorted (connected together). Only when the smart device sense this short it will start charging. I have 3A power supply with panel mount USB Connectors. I cut open the cable then short the two thin data lines together. Now iPhone and iPad charge properly.

I've never heard anything about having to modify the cable to start charging the iPad.

It comes with a power adaptor that plugs into the wall for charging through the supplied USB/Lightning cable, and that works fine.

The cable also plugs into the USB port on my laptop to transfer data, and that works fine.

That same cable plugs into a USB adaptor that fits into the power port in my truck or the airplane to charge the iPad, and that charges as well.

The issue has not been whether that type of connection charges the iPad, but whether it will do so well enough to prevent battery drain under continuous use inflight with rapid as opposed to trickle charging.

If the modification you mention is what allows the cable and adaptor to provide a faster charge rate, then I understand the reasoning.

Don't know about the newer ones, but the older ipads are actually charging, even when they say they aren't. They may be charging slower than with the Apple branded charger, but that's all.
USB charging is much more complicated than just shorting two pins... Some tablets/phones recognize that as a fault in the cable and won't charge *at all*. Apple devices require a certain configuration of circuitry between the four pins in order to activate the high-speed (high-current) charging. Without that, they will charge, but only in "trickle" or "low power" mode. The apple-branded chargers are configured for high-current charging. Some third party chargers are configured this way too.

The only way to be sure is to test the configuration you have. If it works, great. The problem is that these little chargers go on and off the market on a weekly basis so it's darned near impossible to find the same one again 6 months down the road.

If you want to really understand what's going on and what you need to do to guarantee it works, buy the USB Charging booklet from Commit Lift.

I bought one of these on Amazon, Poly-Planar USB-PM Panel Mount USB Charge Port - 12V. It puts out a max of 3 amps with two USB ports. One port is 2.1 amps and the other is 1.0. It has kept my iPad2 and GNS5870 gps charged to 100% on multiple all day cross countries.

Thanks for the info, Steve and Rob.

I'll admit to being lost in the maze of information out there, and Steve's point about activating the high-current charging may be what the product description for the Poly-Planar is referring to with, "The USB charger supports express charge mode for Android and Apple devices."

In the meantime, my first trial of the X2power 10,400mAh portable battery didn't give me a lot of confidence that it will provide the solution.

In about 1:30, beginning with close to 100% charge, running a Garmin Pilot/GDL39 combo, the iPad showed a green charging indication as it decreased to about 84%. Counting on it for a full day of flying doesn't seem prudent.

Dual 2.1A Chargers

Have a look around the web (or computer components store) for a cigarette lighter plug that has two 2.1A USB ports. Does the trick on an iPhone & iPad simulatenously all day long! Prices are between $15 & $30.

If your interested, the book is only $1.99 for Kindle (or devices with a kindle app). Find it on Amazon. Search for - Secrets Of USB Port Battery Charging

Worth the two bucks if you are at all interested in understanding this subject!

Update on my iPad Charging Issue

Thanks for the tip on the Secrets of USB Charging. Great little book that took all (most?) of the mystery out of the topic.

Since then I've confirmed that every charging method I've used indicates rapid charging is occurring with the Wireless brand 2.4 USB adaptor in my truck or in my RV7, and also with the X2 Power portable battery.

I haven't yet used the iPad on a multiple-leg trip, but from watching the battery charge level on flights of less than 1:30, I'm not seeing what others are reporting about keeping the iPad fully charged, which I assume means during continuous use.

I'm round-gauge old school and have always had a sectional open with course lines drawn and mileage tics. I've used glass in jets, but I'm taking my first trip with the G3X, which is a quantum leap from my previous trip experience in RVs. That said, I can't easily rid myself of the desire to have a sectional chart open to monitor progress.

The iPad display is so much more user-friendly than handling paper charts, and I'd like to be able to use it continuously in flight without worrying about the battery level. If I'm getting the rapid charge rate from the adaptor and still not holding the battery level, what can I do to solve it?

On this upcoming trip, I plan to use all the tips I've read and heard about.

Since heat negatively affects the efficiency of battery charging, do everything I can to keep the iPad as cool as possible (not in a case that covers the back and out of direct sunlight whenever I can), and close all applications not in use, which means running only Garmin Pilot with Bluetooth connection to the GDL39. My iPad is only WiFi capable, and it seems like a good idea to turn that off as well if it's constantly looking in vain for hotspots.

Back