What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid Question: How to measure aileron throw?

grayforge

Well Known Member
Maybe I'm overthinking things again, but I can imagine a few ways to measure travel on my 7A's ailerons using a digital level:
  1. Measure the raw angle of the top surface of the aileron with it full up and full down with the plane in flight orientation.
  2. Measure the raw angle of the top surface of the aileron with it full up and full down with the plane's longerons level.
  3. Measure the difference between when the aileron is in it's neutral/trail position and when it's full up or full down.
  4. Locate the center chord line of the aileron somehow and use this as the measurement reference.

Also, when Van's says Max Up should be 25 to 32 degrees, Doe this mean the aileron's upmost position or the 'wing up' aileron position (with the aileron actually tilted down)?

I'm guessing #3 and 'aileron angled up', not aileron in 'wing up' position.

Thanks!
Russ

Maybe I did it wrong but I just put my trusty digital level on the aileron, zeroed it out and measured travel. I used double sided tape (supervisor tape-two faced)to hold it while I moved the surface.

What Rick said. Remember too, that Van designed them with a lot more 'up' travel than 'down', in order to minimize adverse yaw when you deflect the ailerons.

Best,

The correct answer is indeed #3. My digital level is TU, so I used my protractor:

At the neutral position, the angle between the wing and aileron brackets is 82 deg.
FP21042013A00006.jpg

On the up stop, the angle is 114 deg. 114-82=32 deg. up travel.
FP21042013A00007.jpg

Last edited:
If you look at my pictures in the second log you'll see I used a Johnson magnetic angle level
It works great on all the surfaces.
See picture 691 in the second set of building logs
Smilin' Jack

Last edited:
Used an app on my iPad mini

There are several level apps available for the iPad/Iphone that work great.
Zero them out them move the control surface.

Back