What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing aerodynamic improvement

hamblin10

Has anybody considered installing cover plates on the wing handholds at the tip? If you hangar the aircraft and do not intend to remove wings then some cover plates may help with drag by forcing the high pressure air around the tip vs going through the hand hold. At this point I'm not sure the total improvement but there will be some.

Haven't seen that done. Beyond installing wheel pants have seen some install custom transitions between them and gear leg and gear leg and fuselage. Claim some benefit. Pop rivets on the entire aircraft surface clearly add drag - had heard of someone filling in all those rivet heads years ago if you can believe that. Must have been a huge amount of work. If you want a few more knots, simply adding a little more bite with a propeller adjustment will push TAS a few knots above 120.

In the end, its an LSA...you have to question whether a few more knots here or there are really worth it. Enjoy the ride.

I always thought it'd be slick to have a spring loaded coverplate of some sort (perhaps just over the higher pressure lower surface?).
When acting as handhold, it could be deflected to open the hole.
Surely our 3D modelers can come up with a nice solution.

Why not just tape over the hole and see what it does? My guess is no change at all. Airplane is slow speed and aerodynamic mods won't do much...

I did exactly that several years ago. Just didn't like the thought of that opening creating drag at speed. I used spare aluminum for the top and bottom covers for each side. They are held together with a single screw. They are flush with the top and bottom surfaces and give the wing a very clean look. Any drag reduction is probably small. I really did it for the challenge.

Filling rivet holes

I filked mine. Took 4 boring days. Out if the total build time, not a lot, and looks better. The thought of white polish in black rivet heads was the motivation.

Has anybody considered installing cover plates on the wing handholds at the tip? If you hangar the aircraft and do not intend to remove wings then some cover plates may help with drag by forcing the high pressure air around the tip vs going through the hand hold.

Even hangared the wings will need removed at annual inspection each year so don't make it a permanent cover plate.

How about a good wash and wash if you want to pick up a knot or two? My paint job was completed in late summer last year and I was instructed not to wash and wax for three months. That put me into winter and I didn't do a wash and wax until just a couple weeks ago when a warmer late winter day occurred. The past two flights I have found myself flying an average of 5 to 7 knots faster than the RV-12iS has ever flown! Has to be the wax as no other modifications were made. I'm having to reduce engine power to not be flying in the yellow band.

Back