What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enthusiasm Control

MJarreau

Well Known Member
I imagine it's common in the world, but my build mistakes (legion, some spectacular) typically occur when enthusiasm takes over and critical thinking some how comes to a complete stop.

Anyone have ideas on overcoming this absurdity?

Mike

I imagine it's common in the world, but my build mistakes (legion, some spectacular) typically occur when enthusiasm takes over and critical thinking some how comes to a complete stop.

Anyone have ideas on overcoming this absurdity?

Mike

for beginners.... say this to yourself "DO NOT watch this" before you do anything because you know it could be wrong.

why? because the enthusiasm is similar to the saying "hold my beer and watch this" which always turns out to be painful.

it will make you stop and recalculate or seek out some advice from others.

Last edited:
It has been said,

"Slow down, you move too fast
You've got to make the morning last...."

Some years ago, a couple of older ladies gave a talk here about hiking the Colorado Trail. This is a fairly rugged trail through the mountains, about 483 miles long, and with long stretches without resupply options. Most of the audience were a couple generations younger. One of them asked, "How did you.... do it?" referring to their age and gray hair. One of the ladies replied, "Just keep walking. You'll get there."

Dave

Every Epic mistake I've made has happened right after dinner. Yep Don't know if it's the full stomach or distraction of conversation or rush to get it done before it gets too late, but that's my experience.

When I get stuck, it's time for some exercise. A walk, workout, hike, whatever. Gives a moment of distraction and then refocus. Go back and take another look. Maybe wait until tomorrow if it's a real teaser.

In any past project, I've always regretted those things done in haste (not quickly, but haste) and they haunted my forever.

"Which rivet is the most important one on the aircraft?" you ask ... The one you're shooting RIGHT NOW. Repeat that to yourself as you work through the 16 thousand.

Focus ;) If you can't focus right now, step away... :cool:

My usual mistakes happen when I'm doing routine stuff and go on autopilot. Draw a line, cut, debur. Draw a line, cut, debur. Draw a line, cut, debur. Draw a line. (Oh, this song on the radio is kind of nice). Cut. ****, that was the rivet line, not the cut line and now I'm waiting 2 weeks for a new piece from Vans.

Also I make little problems bigger if I keep at them. Oh, that rivet shop head looks marginal, let's drill it out. Now the hole is oblong. OK re-drill for a AD4 rivet. Now edge distance is busted and the part is scrap!

I learnt (more than once though!), that if I wasn't mentally and physically ready to fly a plane, then I shouldn't be building one. Mistakes crept in when I wasn't fully focused on the task at hand and thinking straight.

When I go out to the shed to work on the plane, I just mentally go through how I am feeling and what do I feel ready to tackle. Often I leave large in-depth tasks for a full day (like riveting a wing skin or tailcone), but I'm sometimes happy to just read through the plans & drawings or maybe just fabricate some small brackets or other parts.

Been watching Mike Goulian on YT teaching his wife instrument flying (which is fun viewing if you haven't seen this couple yet). Over and over, when Karin is getting behind the plane a bit and starts pushing buttons to compensate, he repeats the mantra, "Go slow to go fast."

Like the gunfighting canard "two is one, and one is none" - it makes the point. In this case, haste makes waste - of good airplane parts.

So, no building while exuberant, after any alcohol, or in a hurry to get a step done. I have to remember the same thing while hunt-and-peck typing. There's a reason the delete key is the first to wear out on my keyboard. :p

Ditto on the alcohol. I made it a firm rule no building after first sip. I violated my own rule once while building my -8. Replacement parts ordered from Vans the next day. Rule validated.

Listen carefully

Great advice above... if you're listening.

I've been taught many times that the quiet inner thought was not only right, but also the last warning I had before doing something dumb:
remaining distracted, making a mistake worse, hastening, forgetting, pushing to "just get through one more."
I still work at learning that when my self tells me "Self, you better stop yourself." I should heed the advice.

To be clear, I am not saying I hear other voices.

To be clear, I am not saying I hear other voices.

I do.

It's impossible to count the number of times I've heard the little voice say "You stupid s***!!" right after I've done something dumb in the shop.

Back