What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing iPad and overheating

Smitdog43

I’ve seen older posts, but looking for good ideas for mounting iPads in the cockpit and dealing with overheating issues. I currently own an RV10. Thanks

I have my mini on a RAM Xmount with suction cup on bottom corner of front window. Been there for 2 1/2 yrs with no overheating issues.

In my experience, the two best ways to cope with overheating are to avoid direct sunlight on the screen and to use a minimalist case. I have had good success with the RAM cradle cases which snap on at the corners and leave a good portion of the back exposed. Thicker or all encompassing cases can trap heat between the case and the device.

I generally use a yoke mount, which obviously won't work in the RV-10, but perhaps you could try mounting the RAM mount on your panel if the window isn't working out? They sell all different shapes and sizes.

Same here

I use a RAM spring-loaded "X" mount that hangs the ipad mini from my panel edge. A good solution and no overheating problems.

Incidentally ForeFlight will give you a verbal warning if your ipad starts getting too hot.

In my experience, the two best ways to cope with overheating are to avoid direct sunlight on the screen and to use a minimalist case. I have had good success with the RAM cradle cases which snap on at the corners and leave a good portion of the back exposed. Thicker or all encompassing cases can trap heat between the case and the device.

I generally use a yoke mount, which obviously won't work in the RV-10, but perhaps you could try mounting the RAM mount on your panel if the window isn't working out? They sell all different shapes and sizes.

Arkon

I use one of these and it's surprisingly solid, and works perfectly in my RV-8 with an ipad 10.2.

https://www.arkon.com/product/TABRMAMPS-tablet-wall-mount-screws.html

You might want a different arm length in the RV-10 - they have just about every size imaginable. I like the screw mount - it's simple and solid.

IMG_3636.jpg

Last edited:
I had that issue on the 6. On the 10, I made a custom mount that leaves the ipad very close to the inst. panel. WIth this approach, the dash overlap shields the ipad from most sunlight and I have not had a single overheat issue yet.

Larry

iPad Mount

I’ve seen older posts, but looking for good ideas for mounting iPads in the cockpit and dealing with overheating issues. I currently own an RV10. Thanks

I also have an RV-10, and btw live in southern Arizona, so there is plenty of heat and sun. My iPad has a 9.7" screen--what I describe below may not work as well for a larger iPad, e.g. 12" Pro.

Basically, I use a RAM mounting system, attached to the Center Cabin Brace (p/n WD-1043).

RAM components include:
0.75-1.0" Handlebar Mount (from RAM's motorcycle aisle)
Double Socket Arm
X-Grip Universal Holder (ball on back--I don't recall if that was included with the X-Grip or ordered separately)

Between choosing how far up on the brace to affix the handlebar mount, and adjustability on each end of the arm, you should be able to find a position that works best for you. I use my iPad in portrait orientation. I use it for my EFB, including Wx, moving map/traffic (WiFi from a stratux box), as well as approach plates. For me at least, I prefer that to the PFD (too much real estate lost on an older EFIS with a 7" screen) or GPS Navigator screen (tiny display in the center stack).

I like the positioning because it's not a big transition from looking outside for traffic, or from an instrument scan to cross check an approach plate. Very easy to tap, scroll, etc... without going "head down". As positioned, my view of the upper left corner of the co-pilot side MFD is blocked. Basically for me (GRT Sport SX), I can't see fuel flow on the screen most often used without leaning to my right. Not a big deal as fuel flow is also shown on the PFD.

If I were to completely lose the electrical system (incl. B/U batteries), split screen mode would let me have a pseudo PFD, with GPS altitude and groundspeed instead of airspeed with this arrangement, and a chart or plate below it, again without a lot of head movement. I've shot a practice approach with that configuration, using the PFD/GPS info on top and the geo-referenced plate below (or left/right if rotated to landscape view). Not how I'd like to regularly fly, and of course not "legal", but in what would clearly be an emergency situation...

This has been my setup since 2018. Bottom line, I've never had an overheat situation while the iPad has been in the mount. I assume that the back of the X-Grip blocks some of the heat transfer. Taking it out of the mount and setting it on the seat before or after the flight is a different matter.

I also use a RAM “type” mount I bought over Amazon attached to my panel but extending out towards me. However to help block the direct sunlight and heating you get in direct sun I made an iPad sun shade using stiff colored thick paper which is then laminated at Office Depot. This sun shade is placed on top of the iPad mount totally shading the iPad.

A cheap simple solution to protect it from direct sun and provides the additional benefit of keeping sunlight from washing out the iPad screen display. It does inconvenience the passenger a little but no one has complained.

Ipads are fairly cheap. at least compared to avionics, so I have 2 in case one conks out or overheats. Also mount it down by the vent outlet so outside air can cool it somewhat.

IMG_1521.jpg

I have the larger ipad and have it mounted with one of those Ram ball mounts in my 9 below the windscreen on the horizontal member on the pax side.
I have never had an overheating issue while flying. The only time I did have an issue was when I left it in the cockpit and left the airplane for a few hours. When I came back the ipad would not open.
Since that event I cover the ipad with a small towel if I am going to leave it in the airplane while on the ramp for any extended period of time. And for me that solved the problem.

I use a Guardian flush mount that’s installed in the panel. They sell a computer fan that fits on the back of the mount, I have it hard wired and it’s always blowing air onto the back of the iPad. So far, so good.

User report

FYI - I was flying RV7A, FL to TX during Feb Freeze. OAT in 30s, new iPad mini w FF on loosely snug kneeboard. After about an hour of direct sunlight FF complained that OVERHEAT was near. Surprised me, cabin heat on, but maybe 50F cabin. Shaded for a few minutes with a paper, then all ok. Definitely watch out for direct sun, even on cold day....

Carl

My iPad is in a RAM mount on the panel. The black one sometimes overheats during flight, the white one doesn’t - it only overheats when parked in direct sunlight.

I have two mini-iPads in my RV-12. One mounted on a custom aluminum angle and the other is mounted with 3M Body Side Molding foam tape. This second iPad is mounted where a Garmin 286 was removed at top of radio stack. Air comes through vacated mounted hole and cools the Mac.

Angled iPad runs on USB cord continuous and iPad at top of radio stack charges when plane is in hanger but runs on internal battery in flight. I can charge inflight if necessary.
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.01.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.01.50 PM.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 119
I've used both RAM and Pivot mounts at work...big fan of Pivot cases and mounts as the lower profile gets iPas closer to instrument panel.

https://pivotcase.com/

My overtimes have always been caused by direct sunlight.

I got this off eBay and re-engineered it to make a mount in my 9A. You could possibly do something similar with one of the Arkon mounts. The photo shows an iPad Air 2 which is larger than a mini. The photo seems to makes it look bigger and more intrusive than it actually is. The whole top part of the mount slides out of the silver tube so it’s not in the way getting in and out of the aircraft. The silver tube can be folded down out of the way if not using the iPad.

Has never overheated, very accessible, readable in sunlight under the Kroger sunshade and does not interfere with the control sticks. The smaller mini would be better here as I usually swing the Air 2 out of the way on takeoff and landing for better access to the engine controls.

Fin. 9A.

Attachments

• 5708FB02-9514-43A7-9007-EF332276296C.jpeg
    5708FB02-9514-43A7-9007-EF332276296C.jpeg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 2B7F0E9E-2DAE-4B7A-91F8-7BF098DBE3F0.jpg
    2B7F0E9E-2DAE-4B7A-91F8-7BF098DBE3F0.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 104
Back