What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Attitude tumbling.

NYTOM

Well Known Member
After fueling up mid trip I had to move my plane before the magnetometer aligned.
Didn’t notice on a beautiful VRF day and went on my merry way. Airborne I soon realized my attitude display was very slowly tumbling. Landed at my home field, shut completely down and tried to reset. It kept slowly tumbling. Went down to the field this morning and tried again waiting the full time for alignment to count down and still the display slowly tumbles. Is there a way to do a hard reset on theses or does this sound like it’s given up the ghost. :eek:

Take a vid clip of the x-y-z in the set menus magnatometer setup pages. Jeff helped me figure out what I needed via email a few years back.

Same thing happened to my Sport SX last year. Turned out to be a gyro, had to pull the unit and ship it to GRT for repair.

After fueling up mid trip I had to move my plane before the magnetometer aligned.
Didn’t notice on a beautiful VRF day and went on my merry way. Airborne I soon realized my attitude display was very slowly tumbling. Landed at my home field, shut completely down and tried to reset. It kept slowly tumbling. Went down to the field this morning and tried again waiting the full time for alignment to count down and still the display slowly tumbles. Is there a way to do a hard reset on theses or does this sound like it’s given up the ghost. :eek:

Mine tumbled on at least 3 occasions in the air (mostly on climb out after takeoff) so I sent my 3 year old Sport Sx EFIS back to GRT. They replaced the accelerometer as I recall and haven’t had any issues since.

I had a wonky attitude indication in the Adaptive AHARS. At night. During instrument training, so black dark and under the hood. HX and Mini-X diverged following a climbing turn. I used secondary indications (altitude, airspeed, skid/slip ball) to confirm the Mini-X was correct. Switched the HX to MAP mode and continued the flight.

I've now installed a third EFIS with independent internal AHARS (Sport EX) as a tie-breaker.

In my case the Adaptive AHARS just took a little vacation. Cold reset on the ground fixed it and I've never had a hiccup since. Still, it's reassuring to scan across the panel and see three independent attitude displays.

Thanks for the input. Not being very electronically competent I was hoping someone had a easy fix to try like unplugging and replugging or putting the unit in the freezer overnight. :rolleyes: I’ve been able repair electronic problems in the past with some pretty quirky suggested solutions.;) This is a legacy Sport SX model that seduced me years ago at Oshkosh and I’ve just been able to get it flying this year. Going to try to install the latest software from the GRT site. Still working the little glitches in my newborn 6A and was hoping I wasn’t going to have to send the unit back to GRT for repairs. Already had one bout $$$$$ of electronic degradation in a new ( but purchased years ago) Icom radio. Fly safe my friends.:)

Back