Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantosDumont View Post
If I go that route I'm definitely going to have some A&P mentors because even if I have the authority to sign something off it doesn't mean I actually have the experience to know anything.
Keep in mind that having an A&P Certificate is NOT a blank check to do anything you want to.
For example: An A&P may not overhaul an engine unless he/she has, in the past, overhauled an engine of the same make & model under the supervision of another qualified A&P.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 06-01-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Keep in mind that having an A&P Certificate is NOT a blank check to do anything you want to.
For example: An A&P may not overhaul an engine unless he/she has, in the past, overhauled an engine of the same make & model under the supervision of another qualified A&P.
Mel is right.
The experience requirements specify "type specific training"

Example - I have lots of experience but none on jet aircraft so if a guy asks me to change the ignitor on his right side engine, I can't do it without supervision.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-04-2021, 05:26 PM

Ugh....So... All work performed as an LSRM can and does count towards getting your A&P via work experience, so long as it's an aircraft which has had an A/W. In other words, time spend building an aircraft doesn't count. (it used to count). It may be work on an S-LSA, E-LSA, or AB. As an LSRM, you are self-supervised. No A&P is involved. Because anyone can work on AB, that time would also count despite it being an RV14, or other non-LSA. LSRM allows you to work and inspect (cond & 100 hr) S-LSAs. It allows you to inspect e-LSAs (cond). Anyone can work on E-LSAs.

As for "type specific training"... The FAA is openly very loose with that concept...Go read the manual.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N456TS View Post
Ugh....So... All work performed as an LSRM can and does count towards getting your A&P via work experience, so long as it's an aircraft which has had an A/W. In other words, time spend building an aircraft doesn't count. (it used to count). It may be work on an S-LSA, E-LSA, or AB. As an LSRM, you are self-supervised. No A&P is involved. Because anyone can work on AB, that time would also count despite it being an RV14, or other non-LSA. LSRM allows you to work and inspect (cond & 100 hr) S-LSAs. It allows you to inspect e-LSAs (cond). Anyone can work on E-LSAs.

As for "type specific training"... The FAA is openly very loose with that concept...Go read the manual.
Means nothing unless you can point us to official documentation for someone to show the FAA person that is evaluating their A&P application.

And regarding the type specific training, I have read about it, quite extensively. It’s the same old problem that to a large degree it is at the discretion of the FAA ASI evaluating a situation. Ask 20 ASI’s and you will get 20 different answers.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 06-04-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller View Post
look at FAA Advisory Circular # 65-32A, appendix 3. You will find this statement about meeting the experience requirement in Part 65, § 65.77. This statement was also included in the original 2006 version of A/C 65-32.

A repairman (LSA) with a maintenance rating may document time worked on LSA. To apply for a mechanic certificate with airframe or powerplant rating, the repairman must document at least 18 months each of practical experience, working on either airframes or powerplants, or at least 30 months of practical experience working on airframes or powerplants concurrently. One month’s practical experience is 160 hours of documented time. This time includes all time working on SLSAs and only condition inspection time on ELSA aircraft. Documentation should be in a written format, such as a log showing the date and number of hours spent performing the work, type of work performed, and the registration number of the aircraft the work was performed on. The log entries must be verifiable, which can be accomplished by either statements and/or initials from the individual’s employer or supervisor or owner of the aircraft following each entry in the repairman’s logbook
Something other than generalize statements…….

Thank you for posting it.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 06-08-2021, 12:42 PM

Cammy Patch of Glass Cockpit Aviation in Boise, ID did in fact get her A&P after her LSRM-A. She may be able to shed more light on the actual documentation. I do know that she meticulously documented everything she did as an LSRM-A. And documentation seems to be the major key here.
RV-12 Flying
Old 06-08-2021, 09:49 PM

When I got my A&P test approval last year I listed my RV builds in my experience along with plenty of certified aircraft experience. The inspector said he could not count that but it didn't matter in my case because of the rest. Interestingly, he commented that maintenance of an EAB after the AWC could be counted since it was then a certificated aircraft. Don't know how "official" that view is but it's worth discussing with your inspector.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - first flight 5/6/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 06-08-2021, 11:13 PM

Lots of different opinions for sure... When I was ready to submit for my LSRI-A, I had to go through three different FSDO employees before I finally found one that really knew about the Repairman-Inspection rating. The first two wanted to argue about only needing a two-day class and having the authority to inspect my own ELSA. It's a bad feeling when you're talking to the FAA and made to feel like you have to teach them. Each time I gently just ended the conversation and called back and spoke to someone else.

If anyone needs anything LSRM related from the Dallas/FTW FSDO, I highly recommend seeking out Aviation Safety Inspector Julius Sutton. He got it done for me and knew exactly what he needed from me and how to get the paperwork processed. It took about a month and I finally got my LSRI-A plastic card in the mail a couple of weeks ago from the FAA!
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!

LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

“If you can walk away from a landing, it’s a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, it’s an outstanding landing.” – Chuck Yeager

DONATED

Last edited by jrock836 : 06-08-2021 at 11:15 PM.