What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Sparkplugs doubt

ALMARTON

Well Known Member
Hello there,

I've got a RV7A with a Lycoming 180 hp type YIO-360-M1B HORIZONTAL INDUCTION

which sparkplugs is best for that engine? Champion UREM38E, UREM40E or UREM37E?

Thanks in advance

I am a fan of the UREM37BY as it is designed to minimize lead fouling problems. It requires the smaller caps on the harness though.

Larry

I am a fan of the UREM37BY as it is designed to minimize lead fouling problems. It requires the smaller caps on the harness though.

Larry

+1 on the UREM##BYs...

Flew with them in the Mooney 205 and the bottoms of the old RV-7 before I switched to LSE P3 & all automotive..

Ok tks but I don't want to do any modifications. And I operate LOP so it does not carbonize as much.

Fine wire, UREM38S, last longer and not subject to lead fouling like the std plugs.

Fine wire, UREM38S, last longer and not subject to lead fouling like the std plugs.

Hi what you mean with "fine wire" I'm Brazillian don't get slangs...

Another question is the UREM38S will fit where goes a UREM38E with no modifications only advantages? My current issue with this engine is that it is hard to start. A spark plug gap adjustment was made and it got much better but I will still change all sparkplugs and do a magneto setting

Only asking opinions on which is the best sparkplug to go without modifications

Hi what you mean with "fine wire" I'm Brazillian don't get slangs...

Another question is the UREM38S will fit where goes a UREM38E with no modifications only advantages? My current issue with this engine is that it is hard to start. A spark plug gap adjustment was made and it got much better but I will still change all sparkplugs and do a magneto setting

Only asking opinions on which is the best sparkplug to go without modifications

Looks like the price has gone up a bit since last time I purchased:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/temptestplugs12.php?clickkey=10263

Larry

I'm using the REM37BY with no modifications to the harness.

Looks like the price has gone up a bit since last time I purchased:
WOW! You ain't a kiddin' Like a 50% increase in 24 months.

But regarding mtx Walt, do you ever find you have to clean or re-gap fine wire plugs?

George

WOW! You ain't a kiddin' Like a 50% increase in 24 months.

But regarding mtx Walt, do you ever find you have to clean or re-gap fine wire plugs?

George

Maybe a little cleaning on the bottoms but nothing like the gobs of lead found in the massive electrode, never had to gap them and on avg will last about 1K hrs compared to about 500 avg on massive. When the gap goes out of limits is when I call it worn out.

Back