What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OAT sensor bad?

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
I am getting intermittent/flickering OAT, density altitude, true airspeed, and the TAS Vne redline. I am thinking the OAT sensor is faulty. Anyone out there have one of these go bad?.
I am tempted to just buy one, but I thought I would ask the braintrust first.
Dynon Skyview, RV-12

The sensor terminates at the ADAHRS, with a small 2 pin connector. Last CI I pulled the connector and sprayed with "duster air" aerosol can. I did not use any chemical cleaner, nor did I have a small/micro pin cleaner or brush. Sometimes just unplugging & reconnecting will restore the connection. Its back in the tailcone, mounted on the overhead, no fun to access.
It became worse on a recent flight, and now the plane is getting it annual exam. Any suggestions on cleaning these micro pins?, they are not standard d sub pins.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190923045@N02/51192984942/in/dateposted-public/

Mine was doing the same thing a few years back and bjdecker and Joe’s suggestion cured my erratic behavior.
And yes no fun working behind the baggage wall and up high. 🤪

Im having the same intermitant problem. Last condition inspection traced the wiring and check the connection but still having the OAT fall off. I was also thinking of replacing at next inspection when the plane is disassembled.
Following

Back