What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Many outstanding SB's on potential purchase of 2012 RV12

lvpazik

I have a chance to get what I think is a great deal on a 2012 RV12 with 70 hours on it originally built by David Miller at Benton Air Center in Redding, CA. My concern is the "list" of outstanding SB's and the related cost. It's also not been conditional inspected since June 2019 so it's almost two years out. Can anyone, especially builders or A&P's give me just a general ballpark on what they think the expense would be on following:

-- SB 19-07-29 Replace carburetor circlip if required. NOT COMPLETED.
-- SB 13-12-12 Seal instrument panel bay. Shipped before 12/2013 so needed. NOT COMPLETED ???
-- N 18-07-12 Replace possible under-pressure electric fuel pump. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 18-04-06 Update voltage regulator and relocate. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 16-11-04 Canopy struts update. Originals can break. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 16-10-03 Install canopy catch. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 14-06-30 Oil hose reroute. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 14-05-22 Canopy unlatched warning light. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 12CX 08-27-12-1 Wiring change to Skyview. NOT COMPLETED ???
-- N 02-11-13 Light and strobe switch errors. NOT COMPLETED ???
-- N FF-1207 Shroud allen screw access for periodic inspections. NOT COMPLETED

Well - for an ELSA - SB's aren't required to be done. ...but usually expected (and why wouldn't you...especially safety items). But, as you appear to be doing, just figure that into your offer. If it's a great deal, simply do them yourself after the fact.

Everyone's skill level is different, but I would do all of those myself and have an A&P double check my work for a low/no cost depending on your relationship with your mechanic.

It looks to me that the bigger/less 'optional' ones are either already done or simply missing from your list (Nose gear leg, Nose fork, engine mount standoff, exhaust). Those are the ones I'd be personally focused on. The rest on your list look easy-ish.

I can't speak to most of your list because the ones listed were all done except the Circlip replacements when I purchased. Previous owner stated it was a 30min job. And the parts are dirt cheap (like $3 each).

Well you have only listed two easy, low cost, Service Bulletins and then a bunch of Notices. The notices “explain or notify owners of service- or configuration-related information pertaining to their aircraft. It is important to review these notifications and letters when they are published.” They typically explain how to optionally modify your aircraft, if you choose to, such as ADSB, or different canopy struts, or a canopy catch,etc, but it’s mostly non-safety related items and optional upgrades or modifications.

So all of the SBs issued during the past two years have been complied with? If so, I wouldn’t let the items you listed play a factor in my decision to not buy, especially if it’s a “great deal” As a matter of fact, if the SB’s during the past 2 years have been complied with, I would consider the SB status to be an extremely positive thing about that plane.

If it’s a great deal, you snooze, you will probably lose. I got my RV12 for a pretty good deal and made a deal over the phone with the “man of his word” owner. The days following, the prior owner had multiple people calling and offering more money, hoping that he would back out of the deal with me..

The bigger possible issue is a 9 year old airplane that has only been flown 70 hrs. Engines like to be ran on a regular basis. If possible try to get a good pre-buy inspection with emphasis on the engine..

Last edited:
All of those notices and SBs (and I suspect that you are missing some like the stabilator re-enforcement and the nose gear) are all to me worth your doing as a way to really do a thorough inspection and service before you start to fly the plane. It may look like a lot of work but will give you a really solid understanding of build quality and get some trust in the airframe from a good inspection

I have a chance to get what I think is a great deal on a 2012 RV12 with 70 hours on it originally built by David Miller at Benton Air Center in Redding, CA. My concern is the "list" of outstanding SB's and the related cost. It's also not been conditional inspected since June 2019 so it's almost two years out. Can anyone, especially builders or A&P's give me just a general ballpark on what they think the expense would be on following:

-- SB 19-07-29 Replace carburetor circlip if required. NOT COMPLETED.
-- SB 13-12-12 Seal instrument panel bay. Shipped before 12/2013 so needed. NOT COMPLETED ???
-- N 18-07-12 Replace possible under-pressure electric fuel pump. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 18-04-06 Update voltage regulator and relocate. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 16-11-04 Canopy struts update. Originals can break. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 16-10-03 Install canopy catch. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 14-06-30 Oil hose reroute. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 14-05-22 Canopy unlatched warning light. NOT COMPLETED
-- N 12CX 08-27-12-1 Wiring change to Skyview. NOT COMPLETED ???
-- N 02-11-13 Light and strobe switch errors. NOT COMPLETED ???
-- N FF-1207 Shroud allen screw access for periodic inspections. NOT COMPLETED

Is the circlip applicable? That's an easy fix. Rotax has the numbers.

More importantly since it is a 2012, the carbs should have been rebuilt i would think - that is a 200 hr/5 year deal? Around $650. Since most of us run autogas, its pretty important. I did mine last year - plane ran like new when I got them back installed and re-balanced.

Where is the voltage regulator located? On the shelf or in the cockpit? Have lost track of all the iterations of this. Original Ducati or? Many RV12ers are still running the John Deere with a blast tube. I have no intention to change mine - carry an extra Deere in the fly away bag.

Steel struts - done - pain but parts kit available from Vans not too bad. Hardest part was drilling them out.

Canopy switch was a retro fit - again kit available fairly inexpensive.

I upgraded the fuel pump because i was seeing some lower fuel pressures occasionally tripping a yellow warning - again pretty inexpensive - just some time. Kit available from vans. $44.

Big costly ones are the nose strut, fork, and all the stab S/Bs - if those are done these small ones are minor/optional imho. Same with new trim motor.

More troublesome/expensive would be a fully comprehensive and signed off annual inspection.

Last edited:
Might be due for 5-year rubber replacement. Also new Engine Mount Isolators PN -22002.

Yep - 2012 - but if he has the newer fuel hoses, less of a deal.

The engine mount isolators were a S/B for soft ones for no raised lettering, i replaced all mine with the nose gear change, because i couldn't see the lettering. Of course when i got the old ones off - lettering was there and raised. lol.

Back