What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windshield replacement

N63WA

Just got a price on my front windshield replacement on my rv 6-a sliding canopy for 3k. That’s labor paint and materials. I have the windshield so that doesn’t include that.

The shop does excellent work. Just wondering if that seems to high?

Many years ago I cracked my windshield on my -6A tipup durring the initial installation. I ordered a replacement from Vans. Cost of windshield plus shipping was right at $1,000.

windshield

If the windshield is glassed onto the airframe (as the plans call for), it is necessary to cut away that fiberglass to remove the windshield, which of course will destroy the fiberglass. Then after installing they need to make new fiberglass in place, smooth it down, sand it without scratching the windshield, and repaint.

Not easy-peasy. So it doesn't seem unreasonable.

which is why I didn't mount mine that way.

25 hours at $100/hr. Plus materials?

Probably reasonable. It is a labor intensive process to install the windshield and make a nice fairing.

Yes a lot of fiber. I have a extra windshield that came with the plane. He said that was on the high end that it will probably be less but he always over shoots the estimate just in case. That’s with matching the paint again.
Thanks for all the input

Replacing a glassed-in windscreen on a slider and repainting is a truly terrible and time consuming job. Don't expect any change from $3000.

Tip up canopy

Any body gots a tip up canopy rv6a. I’m in San Diego . And have slider parts if anyone needs
Billythekid

No I think the price was good the guy that’s doing the work is a super nice guy and has installed all new led lights on my plane and put rv10 vents behind the seats for my dog to Rogers with me. But she mainly stays in the front seat. I found it easier to just remove the passenger seat and lay a mat down so she has plenty of room.

Does excellent work.

This was my guess, and my guess doesn't include paint matching/painting, so I would concur that $3K is probably reasonable. It's certainly not unreasonable.

This is my thought too, it is all fitted so the spacing etc is only to match the new canopy as they are like snowflakes. All special.

If they are experienced, then they won't waste any time and won't finish early either. A builder center technician for RV's would be a good pedigree.

Just the letters A&P would not be sufficient (IMO).

Back