What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need wing L.E. repair advice

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I have a dent located in the leading edge of the left fuel tank caused by a deer head. (rest of the deer's location is another story with less appealing photos) My question is how would you handle this repair? I was thinking a new factory assembled fuel tank. I am concerned the impact may cause leaks later by cracking the sealant, etc. The dent is between ribs.

Sorry for the difficult to see photo.

wing_3.jpg

Repair it

I had a similar dent caused by a birdstrike (first of several). Mine was about the side of a softball. Your's looks very repairable.

Pull the tank, make an access hole in the aft bulkhead and work out the dent from the inside. Call a local "paintless dent repair" guy if you're queasy about trying to work it out.

Repair the hole in the bulkhead by making a reinforcement ring with plate-nuts and proseal everything back in place and leak test it.

Then you can spot repair it or shoot the whole thing (or have someone do that) and you're back in the air.

Certainly wouldn't replace the tank.

Laird
Socal

I agree

Pull tank
Cut hole in back baffle as big as you can.Have dent repaired by professional.
Add a little more tank sealant where there was stress on the ribs.
Cut plate out of .032
Pop rivet plate back on with close rivet spacing.
Take tank to paint shop.
Reinstall tank.

If you are the original builder this will be a simple job.

Steve

Leave As-Is

Have a vinyl decal made of a deer head. Tongue hanging out. XXs for eyes. Place over dent. Great conversation piece.

Fly

Fly your plane, add a preflight check. Watch out for MIP maintenance induced problems. No leaks you are good. Leak.... drain tank a make repair. YMMV, this is what I would do.

If it were me, I'd fly it until it started leaking, or until I had some other reason to ground the airplane. I wouldn't go crazy repairing something that doesn't leak unless I just couldn't stand looking at it on an otherwise perfect airplane.

As others have said, cut an access panel in the baffle, push it out from behind and then get a paint guy to sand & fill, then repaint.

Thank you for the input. I wasn't aware of the "access hole" method of getting in there for repairs. I have two rivets that tend to form blue halos over time that may be addressed at the same time through an access hole.

Keith, you may me laugh with your comment. I actually thought about having the head mounted for the hangar wall. The head was cleanly separated from the body ready for mounting.

If or when you do go into the tank, it may also be smart to verify and comply with the Service Bulletins if there are any on the 7. I know the 8 has some. .

Just a flesh wound

Thank you for the input. I wasn't aware of the "access hole" method of getting in there for repairs. I have two rivets that tend to form blue halos over time that may be addressed at the same time through an access hole.

Keith, you may me laugh with your comment. I actually thought about having the head mounted for the hangar wall. The head was cleanly separated from the body ready for mounting.

https://postimg.cc/qz3pxy5h

Now that?s a dented fuel tank!

If you decide to tackle the job yourself, Van's sells a Fuel Tank Repair Kit (no pics) consisting of a 7"? round aluminum cover plate and 25 LP4-3 rivets for $8.10. I used a circle cutter in a drill press to cut 5" holes through the tank back wall.

Last edited:
to add to the post#4 and #5.........

Fly
Fly your plane, add a preflight check. Watch out for MIP maintenance induced problems.
No leaks you are good. Leak.... drain tank a make repair. YMMV, this is what I would do.
////
Leave As-Is
Have a vinyl decal made of a deer head. Tongue hanging out. XXs for eyes. Place over dent. Great conversation piece.
/////
/////
i the drag racing world "funny cars ", thay have decals that look like head lights, that you could use ,
and that would go along with your deer problems, ( sorry, just had to add this jest/almost joke )
////
good day . good luck / rick

I wonder how much drag deer whistles add?

We were lucky and the body of the deer hit the left gear leg, mainly fairing and wheel pant damage. Measurements are showing no damage to the gear or mount itself.

A friend has a dent pulling system that may get it close. It uses hot glue to fasten a series of different shaped and sized pulling tools that are pulled slowly in a very controlled fashion. That will be the first attempt.

I wonder how much drag deer whistles add?

We were lucky and the body of the deer hit the left gear leg, mainly fairing and wheel pant damage. Measurements are showing no damage to the gear or mount itself.

A friend has a dent pulling system that may get it close. It uses hot glue to fasten a series of different shaped and sized pulling tools that are pulled slowly in a very controlled fashion. That will be the first attempt.

A bunch of pictures and video of your friends dent pulling sure would be fun to see. Thanks

Back