What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy UV tint?

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I understand that the RV-14 canopy can now be ordered from Vans with a UV tint @ $705.00 for both front and back.
I would like to hear from you if this option is worth it, does it look nice and does it work? Thanks

My understanding is that the standard canopy provides UV filtering, just not all wave lengths.

If I remember correctly it filters UV-A but not UV-B, and using the optional material it filters UV-B waves also (though I might have that backwards... )

What follows has nothing to do with factory tinting of our canopies but since there seems to have been some questions regarding tinting lately, I thought I would share this:

One of my brothers has a business that installs window tint film on industrial buildings.

I asked him if he could tint my canopy but before doing so, I requested he check to see if the tint could damage the canopy.

He checked with his vendors and they all said not to install it on our canopies due to long term degradation.

Major bummer.

Tinting?

What follows has nothing to do with factory tinting of our canopies but since there seems to have been some questions regarding tinting lately, I thought I would share this:

One of my brothers has a business that installs window tint film on industrial buildings.

I asked him if he could tint my canopy but before doing so, I requested he check to see if the tint could damage the canopy.

He checked with his vendors and they all said not to install it on our canopies due to long term degradation.

Major bummer.
I am assuming that the Vans Canopies are tinted during the Mfg. process rather than an applied film. Not sure about that though.

I investigated this during my build, here's what I learned from Barb at Van's:

".... the SC-15 UV canopy will let 76% of the visible light through along with 1% of the UVa and 1% of the UVb. The standard canopy will let about 80% of the visible light along with 1% of the UBb and 12% of the UVa. The SC-15 meets military specs and would be good for people with health concerns. Finish kits have an 8 week lead time..."

I am assuming that the Vans Canopies are tinted during the Mfg. process rather than an applied film. Not sure about that though.

Indeed - I was advised to be aware of this when considering lead time in ordering the finish kit as they have to order the special tint canopies from the manufacturer.

I investigated this during my build, here's what I learned from Barb at Van's:

".... the SC-15 UV canopy will let 76% of the visible light through along with 1% of the UVa and 1% of the UVb. The standard canopy will let about 80% of the visible light along with 1% of the UBb and 12% of the UVa. The SC-15 meets military specs and would be good for people with health concerns. Finish kits have an 8 week lead time..."
Thank you Turner, that was what I was looking for. Oh, and BTW Thank you very much for coming to X35 with your beautiful RV-14A and letting me fly it for a bit. Yor are , in part, responsible for me having ordered a RV-14A kit from Vans about a week ago.

Back