What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun n Fun Trip

jsenft

Well Known Member
We are planning our annual Sun n Fun Trip in ?Falcon 1? the Wisconsin Eagle?s Nest Project. We are looking for great airports, restaurants, and places to stay on our way down to Florida. Our route will be a straight line path from Chicago, west of Atlanta, then down to Tampa. We plan to stop for lunch somewhere in Kentucky (maybe). We plan to make the trip in two days. We plan to stay the night somewhere west of Atlanta. Help us find the best places to see, eat and stay.

Baxley GA KBHC

We are planning our annual Sun n Fun Trip in ?Falcon 1? the Wisconsin Eagle?s Nest Project. We are looking for great airports, restaurants, and places to stay on our way down to Florida. Our route will be a straight line path from Chicago, west of Atlanta, then down to Tampa. We plan to stop for lunch somewhere in Kentucky (maybe). We plan to make the trip in two days. We plan to stay the night somewhere west of Atlanta. Help us find the best places to see, eat and stay.

There is a very nice place in Georgia called Baxley. The airport has a terminal building with two hotel style rooms upstairs. With fresh linen and marble bathrooms. There is a crew van. Call airport manager and he will pencil you in. However it's on first come first served basis. If you are late and rooms already occupied there are several couches you can comfortably sleep on. A year ago there was a group of RV12s and all pilots had a place to rest overnight. I stopped there couple weeks ago on my way to Key West, we had a great time and made couple great friends. If you don't eat fast food there are only two places you can eat and both are at about 30+ min drive. We went to Reedy Creek highly recommended. Call for reservations they are packed on Fridays. No alcohol though... :)

reedy%20creek%20-%201.jpg

Looking West of Atlanta, I'd rule out Paulding County and West Georgia Regional. There simply isn't much around either.

Calhoun (which is 50 miles N of Atlanta) is very RV friendly and close to town. I'm sure the airport manager would loan you the crew car for the evening. You might even score a free overnight hangar. Dwight Albritton is the airport manager. It might be worth giving him a call to lay some groundwork.

Cartersville is 30 miles North of Atlanta and is where I'm based. If you stop there, I might be able to provide transportation and possibly put you up overnight. The airfield isn't that close to town and your chances of scoring a crew car would be 50/50. That said, Cartersville is a nice little town and would be a fine overnight stayover.

McCollum is closer to Atlanta, but isn't hard to get into or out of on a Southbound trip. Again, if you stay there, I might be able to pick you up and put you up overnight. Even if that doesn't work out, there are numerous hotels and restaurants nearby, so it wouldn't be a bad stayover. Note - the FBO (Hawthorne) charges steep fees.

Drop me a note if I can help...

I second Baxley KBHC. I'll be there this Sunday on a trip from Florida to Pigeon Forge!! Great place and cheap gas.

KPIM

KPIM Pine Mt Georgia is a nice airport with good fuel prices. $3.50 a gallon last week. There is good barbecue in town as well as some other places. I don't know about after hour support.

Last edited:
On my recent return trips from OSH to Vero Beach FL, I've spent the night in Dublin GA (DBN) , southeast of ATL, Jimmy Carter Regional (ACJ), south of ATL, and West Georgia Regional (CTJ), west of ATL.

All 3 FBOs have courtesy cars. In all cases the nearby town, with the usual restaurants and hotels, is perhaps 5-ish miles from the airport. Perhaps not great stops, but certainly most welcome after sleeping in a tent and showering with your neighbor for the prior week.

Last edited:
You can do a whole lot of lateral deviations on a long trip with negligible increase in total mileage. Don't be married to a rhumb line.

Ed

Back