What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you like your induction???

ChrisL

Since I am putting in the order for the Finishing Kit along with the Wings / Fuse to save on shipping, I need to figure out the basics on my engine a little early in the process. I have already decided to do a parellel valve IO-360. Talking to Mattituck yesterday, it sounds like Horizontal Induction is going to cost and extra $1700. I have read all the posts on Hort/Vert Induction, but figured I would pose the question to those with their engines hung -

1.) Is it worth the extra $1700 to go Horizontal?
2.) Is it an easier installation over Vertical?
3.) Is there any noticable difference - power or otherwise?
4.) Would I be better off using that extra money for static / dynamic balancing and the extended warrantee?

Bottom line - Is this really just about whether or not you want the lower scoop on the cowl?

Thanks,
Chris

I went Verticle

With the "old fashioned" carb, won't go into the debate on FI vs Carb here though. It's an easier install with less cable problems/bracket issues from what I've seen. The 180hp cowl is also about 3-4 inches narrower than the 200hp cowl in the front, smaller inlets=more effecient cooling (TX heat no problem). If I was building another I'd consider verticle FI.

You could always consider the vertical sump with AFP injector and an AFP 90 degree adapter and the splitter device that Dan used for filtered/ram air. That way you can use a flat bottom cowl. Another alternative is the Sky Dynamics injector relocator kit with a Precision injector. With both you'll have to figure out your own throttle/mixture cable lengths & clamps and you won't be able to use a regular crossover exhaust.

Pete

no no no what?

1.) Is it worth the extra $1700 to go Horizontal? NO
2.) Is it an easier installation over Vertical? NO
3.) Is there any noticable difference - power or otherwise? NO
4.) Would I be better off using that extra money for static / dynamic balancing and the extended warrantee? Huha? (send all extra money to me. :rolleyes:)

Bottom line - Is this really just about whether or not you want the lower scoop on the cowl? YES.

Remember the air has to turn 90 degrees somewhere, either in the airbox or plenum, one way or another it has to go vertical into the cylinder.

The no scoop set-up does gain (may be) mph or two top speed, mostly because of a slight less bit of drag, and VAN did a heck of a good JOB if designing the HORZ airbox. People think Van dreams this up, makes it and sells it to use. The VERT airbox is also excellent and also the result of years and decades of experiments and experience. If you want the path of least resistance (and cost) go vertical. However the Horz does have aesthetic appeal. If going CARB, the issue is moot. However going FI, you do have a choice to make. It's one of those things and as usual its about $$$.

One thing that would push me more towards the HORZ, which is not so obvious is exhaust choice. If you go with 4-into-1 exhaust the Horz induction makes it easier. I think most of the off the shelf 4-into-1 systems available are based on HORZ induction. You can fit a 4-into-1 exhaust with a carb, just a little less better fit. If you have a model "A" nose wheel 4-into-1 does not fit well (or at all), regardless of VERT or HORZ induction. However someone I think now offers a 4-into-1 for the model "A's"; not sure what induction is needed or if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
You could always consider the vertical sump with AFP injector and an AFP 90 degree adapter and the splitter device that Dan used for filtered/ram air. That way you can use a flat bottom cowl. Another alternative is the Sky Dynamics injector relocator kit with a Precision injector. With both you'll have to figure out your own throttle/mixture cable lengths & clamps and you won't be able to use a regular crossover exhaust.

Pete

Are you 100% sure that setup would fit with the smooth lower cowl? My guess is NO WAY...but it's just a hunch.

1One thing that would push me more towards the HORZ, which is not so obvious is exhaust choice.

One other thing about the horizontal induction and exhausts: Vetterman's crossover exhaust with mufflers won't fit. The regular crossover exhaust does fit, just not with mufflers.

(I have horizontal induction but am not flying yet)

mcb

Back