What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wig-wag control; either G3X or Vertical Power

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm planning a G3X panel on my dragon-tail RV-14 and may possibly use a Vertical Power box as well. I want to wig-wag the landing and taxi lights (which will likely be AeroLED units). I know that both the G3X and the Vertical Power units can control wig-wag. Because of the big difference in the aim of the two lights on a taildragger, I don't want either light going to off when the other goes bright. I don't want the runway ahead of me going black on and off while on short final or roll-out with the tail down. I'd like both lights to alternate between 100 and 50%. Can either of these boxes accomplish that? My preference would be to accomplish it through the G3X. I also don't want wig-wag to be on while taxiing. I would presume that the feature can easily be turned off with either unit. Is that correct?

G3x has the option of automatic wig-wag control, or a switch that you can flip on and off as you want.

The automatic will go steady on, when you fall below a user programmed airspeed. So on short final, you can have it switch from wig-wag, to steady.

I have mine on a switch.

Hi Ray,

The VP-X can't control intensity (assuming that's what you mean by 100-50%). The VP-X does it based on airspeed, so anything below your selected speed, the lights will be solid on. Example would be if you have your airspeed set at 100 knots, above that they will wigwag, below that they will be solid. This will assure that they will always be solid on while taxiing.

Wigwag is always automatic with the VP-X controlling it, no on or off. Of course the lights can be turned on and off easily, but wigwag is automatic.

I'll let Garmin or a Garmin user describe their feature set.

... airspeed set at 100 knots...with the VP-X controlling it
VPX controlling AEROLeds with airspeed set at 100 kts. working perfectly for last 400 hours. I have switches but only need to touch them when passing someone at night during taxi.

As I consider this, automatic control by airspeed IS probably the best way to address this. I don't want to be taking a hand off of either the stick or the throttle on very short final. Our Lear 45's can pulse the recog lights and we always use that feature. However, I'm totally unaware of how or when it switches from pulse to steady and there's no need to know. It works well and I never see them alternating on the runway or while on final.

I'm planning a G3X panel on my dragon-tail RV-14 and may possibly use a Vertical Power box as well. I want to wig-wag the landing and taxi lights (which will likely be AeroLED units). I know that both the G3X and the Vertical Power units can control wig-wag. Because of the big difference in the aim of the two lights on a taildragger, I don't want either light going to off when the other goes bright. I don't want the runway ahead of me going black on and off while on short final or roll-out with the tail down. I'd like both lights to alternate between 100 and 50%. Can either of these boxes accomplish that? My preference would be to accomplish it through the G3X. I also don't want wig-wag to be on while taxiing. I would presume that the feature can easily be turned off with either unit. Is that correct?

Hello Ray,

We think your questions were answered in this posting, but let us know if not. We don't dim the lights to only 50%, but there is some overlap.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1034708&postcount=18

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
If you buy the Aero LEDs with the strobe you can get the wig wag function from the strobe using a switch to enable/disable the strobe/wig wag function. (You would also need a switch for nav and strobe, for a total of 3 switches or switch positions, if you want to select them individually).

Those are independent from landing/taxi lights.

Last edited:
We wire our AeroLED Wig Wags similar to what Leok said, but not with the strobe, just with the landing and taxi lights. Landing light is in the Left wing (angle however you want it to be angled for taildragger), taxi light is in the right wing, wig-wag is a separate switch that you wire to the light units. When you roll out on final, turn Wig-Wag switch off, and landing and taxi lights are steady ON. SIMPLE!

Back