What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A friend and his GX60 woes

Brantel

Well Known Member
Everyone,

I have a good friend that has a RV6A, been flying about 3 years now I think. Anyway last evening his GX60 display gave up the ghost (screen died) and it is my understanding that Garmin will no longer repair the displays on these???

That being said he has one of a few options..buy a used working one from Ebay or somewhere else or replace it with something different. The problem with buying a working GX60 is that you never know how much longer the display is going to last so I am not sure he would want to go that route.

The next option is to replace it with newer technology. He wants to keep the GPS/COM combo and he wants it to be approach certified so that pretty much limits him to the 300XL which is now obsolete and discontinued as well but there are several sources out there for refurb units.

The problem with the later option is that he will need to change trays, rewire the harness and the current MD-40-44 he has won't work with the 300XL and will need to be swapped to a MD-40-242. He will also have to rework his hold/arm switches. Or he could ditch the MD-40, use the Dynon for CDI & build or install a factory built annunciator.

Anyone else had to go thru a similar upgrade plan or have any other alternatives to this upgrade path? Obviously moving to a 430 would be the cats meow but cost is an issue and there would be much more panel rework required. He already has an SL30 so he does not need another NAV receiver.

Last edited:
Replacement display

Garmin says the displays are no longer available. However, you might want to look here:

http://www.planaronline.com/product/?id=996-0267-18lf

Planar is the company that made the displays, and it appears that they will provide one as a custom order. The trick will probably be figuring out the right part numbers (Apollo vs. Planar). According to a GX55 service manual I pulled off the web the display p/n is 145-2341-01, which looks like the Apollo number. The display in the link above has a different number but it sure looks similar to me.

My GX60 is 9-years old and has never been out of the airplane. I keep wondering what I would do if the same thing happened to me. I will be watching responses to this thread.

I would more than likely try to find a working display and take my chances.

His has been black around the extreme edges for some time and last evening he said a grey spot showed up in the middle of the screen and slowly grew until the screen was gone in just a few minutes....he is in shock!

I have contacted them and we are waiting for a response. Thanks for this info!!!

Garmin says the displays are no longer available. However, you might want to look here:

http://www.planaronline.com/product/?id=996-0267-18lf

Planar is the company that made the displays, and it appears that they will provide one as a custom order. The trick will probably be figuring out the right part numbers (Apollo vs. Planar). According to a GX55 service manual I pulled off the web the display p/n is 145-2341-01, which looks like the Apollo number. The display in the link above has a different number but it sure looks similar to me.

His has been black around the extreme edges for some time and last evening he said a grey spot showed up in the middle of the screen and slowly grew until the screen was gone in just a few minutes....he is in shock!

If you live long enough you learn nothing lasts forever. :)

Just for the heck of it, Garmin still lists the GX60 as an out of warrantee repair item with a flat rate fee of $500 for the overhaul including shipping. I talked with a tech rep at 800-525-6726 and he said as far as he knew, it was serviceable. But he also said the shop to contact is in Salem, OR and they were not yet open, so it may be a dead end.

Perhaps the screen is not dead but the software and/or hardware behind it are the problem. It may be worth the effort to talk to the service people in Salem about it.

It is the screen...The symptoms are the same as many other reported failures. This screen has died on many of these units.

There have been many reports that Garmin was out of replacement screens and they will fix anything but the screen. He is going to contact them regardless just to make sure but most likely this is a dead end.

My GX60 display has "gone black" 4x now. What a pain in the butt.

Every time they have repaired the "display drivers" -- not the display itself.

Mine just went black again YESTERDAY, and I literally had it repaired ($500...chaching) a few months ago. If it's past the 90-day repair warranty period (I need to double check) and they try to charge me for this, I'm gonna tear 'em a new one.

BTW, anybody who wants to fly IFR in their RV...do a "price per approach" calculation. You might think twice. Hotels and rental cars tend to be cheaper. :)

Did yours always go black or start with a grey spot and slowly go completely gray?

I never saw a gray spot, that's for sure. Mine went from bright to dim/flickering to done, pretty evenly as far as I noticed. There were times while it was flickering/dimming when would hold my fingertip over the light sensor and it would get brighter. One time, using MAP mode went to full bright while NAV mode was full black. Trippy, eh?

Last edited:
Bummer.

we lost the display on the GX-65 in our AirCam going to Oshkosh a couple of years ago. It would flicker on initial startup for maybe 0.2 seconds, then go black.

On the way back, we got it on 122.8 by trial and error (and counting knob clicks). Then we looked on the chart and picked all the airports we could find with 122.8 unicom frequencies.

It was repaired by Garmin for the flat rate, but that was a couple of years ago. I hope if it happens again that it is repairable :(

Here is the response from the Planar folks...Not good:

"Hi Brian,

Thanks for your noted interest.

The GX60 actually used a customer EL160.80.40 display that was discontinued several years ago. Unfortunately, it is not longer available and we are unable to offer repair options.

Given the custom nature of the original design, there is not a drop in replacement recommendation.

Sorry we could not be of more help.

Matt

Planar Systems, Inc.
503-748-5851 Direct
503-467-6654 Mobile
503-748-5987 Fax"

One additional note: My friend's screen looks like it has an oil slick under the glass even when powered off and this matches the area that is blanked out when the power is on. Not looking like his is a driver issue....

Dan, thanks for chiming in! Good to see you on the board!

One additional note: My friend's screen looks like it has an oil slick under the glass even when powered off and this matches the area that is blanked out when the power is on. Not looking like his is a driver issue....

That's the screen delamination issue for sure.

Consider getting a donor screen from any of the GX's. I think (not sure though) they all have the same screen; it's just an electroluminescent pixel array. If so, a GX50, 55, or 65 unit is likely to be cheaper than a GX60, other things being equal.

--Paul

Thats a great idea. The repair manual states that all of em use the same screen part number....

I will think twice to buying a use GXxx on EBAY as I was seriously considering to do...now...I don't think I'll take a chance.

Here is the response from Garmin support on my friends GX60:

"Hi Brian,
We do not charge the owner anything when a GX-series unit cannot be repaired due to display failure. We have the unit sent in when we are not sure of the cause of the display problem and then evaluate it to see if the problem is with the display or with the display driver hardware. If repairable, we fix it and bill the customer. If not repairable, we ask permission to simply destroy the unit. In your case, we can safely say that the display media itself is at fault. (Thanks for the simple and easy to understand description of the symptoms.) There is no need to send the unit to us for service. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Bill Parsons
Customer Support Manager
Garmin AT Aviation Product Support
503-581-8101 voice
503-364-2138 fax "

GX60

Garmin will not really support the GX60 any longer. I have a GX60 with the usual symptoms.... screen gradually diminishing, pixels going out rather quickly, then black. The unit worked fine, but it is hard to navigate with the screen being black. I called Salem's customer service and I got customer no service. The guy actually told me that they have had only a 1% malfunction of that unit...sure. After reading the blogs and speaking with fellow pilots at Sun n'Fun, it seems they have a huge problem with the display. The company that made the display quit making them many years ago so it is just tough luck.... The guy suggested I buy a used one from Ebay. If I were to buy one from Ebay and it goes out on me like mine did, what do I do again? The risk is too high to buy one with absolutely no guarantee. Garmin obviously won't help you at all.
If I were the marketing director of the company, as a carrot I would offer a tremendous discount on an upgrade, not just a pittance upgrade allowance like they advertise. Kinda makes ya shy away from purchasing another unit from Garmin.

One option is that the entire GX line uses the same display. If you can find one that is dead but has a working display, you can transplant it. The less expensive VFR GPS only model's screen works fine in the GX60.....

My friend actually found one locally in an airplane that was being sold for salvage...it's screen was in perfect condition. It was a miracle that we had one right on our field that he could trade with. We don't have many planes on our field anymore!

If I were the marketing director of the company, as a carrot I would offer a tremendous discount on an upgrade, not just a pittance upgrade allowance like they advertise. Kinda makes ya shy away from purchasing another unit from Garmin.

Do whatever you feel like. Personally, I much prefer Garmin for my GPS needs. I've been doing so, since 1993. I trust their equipment.........and that counts highly in my book. As to the GX60, it's old. Very old! Frankly, I wouldn't want one in my aircraft. And only worth that pittance at best.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Gps

The GX series were and still are great units. For me I'm not a follower so I will have to wait for King this fall.

The GX series were and still are great units. For me I'm not a follower so I will have to wait for King this fall.

Yeah, and the thing is...the GX series isn't even Garmin, technically. I'm not ecstatic about how this legacy line has gone by the wayside, but I'm also not surprised. I definitely don't blame Garmin for making a good *business* move.

What do you guys think is the best cost effective alternative? A budget panel upgrade is in my near future. Maybe this should be a new thread?

Are you wanting to stick with current products or also include products that have already been marked as obsolete by Garmin?

Only 6 years

My GX 60 was purchased new. Flew for the first time in 2005 and thankfully is still working fine. For what avionics cost they should last longer than 8 years before becoming obsolete. Not that development and advancements should be discouraged but who really wants to drop 8K or more every 6 years?

My GX 60 was purchased new. Flew for the first time in 2005 and thankfully is still working fine. For what avionics cost they should last longer than 8 years before becoming obsolete. Not that development and advancements should be discouraged but who really wants to drop 8K or more every 6 years?

The GX60 goes back to around 1998. That's eleven years. Garmin was installing their G1000 units in 2004 Cessna's. There was a tremedous leap in technology between 1998 & 2004. Just look at the difference between the two! It's like comparing my Garmin 195 grey screen handheld purchased in 1997, and the Garmin 696 I have today. In six more years, everything will be high resolution synthetic vision.........I suppose. My 696 will be ancient junk & worthless............same as the GX60 is now.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

--- snip ---

I suppose. My 696 will be ancient junk & worthless............same as the GX60 is now.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

IMHO, the GX60 is not junk and worthless.

I installed my GX60 a little over 9-years ago. It has had ONE mandatory FREE software update and numerous NavData updates. No issues and no expense other than the NavData. It still works great and I am still learning how to use features that I did not know it had.

This weekend, I just learned that I could use it to track any "HEADING" inbound or outbound from any waypoint. (How? With the waypoint active in the GPS, press "Direct To" twice, then rotate the OBS on the CDI to the course you want. Press ENTER and keep the needle centered. (or let the autopilot do it.)

Any electronics that we purchase today will be outdated in a few years. Electronic parts manufacturers do not keep manufacturing parts that are not in demand and are not being used in new designs. Unless a large UNIT manufacturers purchases a large quanity of "Spare" parts before the parts manufacturer takes them out of production, the units will end up being in the same boat as the GX60. IF my GX60 display were to die, I would more than likely look for a used GX series unit to use for parts. Even if I had to purchase two used units to get one good part, it would be less money out of my pocket than a panel upgrade. Pulling out just the GX60 would require a panel change as there is NO unit that will replace it that will fit in the space that it takes up.

IMHO, the GX60 is not junk and worthless.

I suppose I get a bit bent...........when it's suggested that Garmin should give a tremendous discount on a new model.......for this product, or don't deal with them anymore. In the context of a large discount...........it really is antiquated junk. And worth little at the same time. That small 2" space it fits into, is also it's downfall. These day's, the value of a GPS screen and it's software, is what you can really see.

L.Adamson --- RV6A, Garmin 696

I suppose I get a bit bent...........when it's suggested that Garmin should give a tremendous discount on a new model.......for this product, or don't deal with them anymore. In the context of a large discount...........it really is antiquated junk. And worth little at the same time. That small 2" space it fits into, is also it's downfall. These day's, the value of a GPS screen and it's software, is what you can really see.

L.Adamson --- RV6A, Garmin 696

I fly an RV-6 that is also antiquated and no longer in production as well as drive a 1998 TDI car that is antiquated and no longer in production. Both are able to serve me well in the mission that I have for them. I can get over 50 mpg on diesel fuel on the road on my 13-year old car and have as much fun flying my 13.5 year old antiquated RV-6 airplane as the guy with a brand new RV-7. My 13.5 year old RV-6 and I are IFR approach capable with the antiquated GX60 equipment. (I also am antiquated and it have no desire to turn back the clock.) If I did not have the GX60, a used GX60 would make the aircraft IFR approach capable for less money than any other GPS unit that I know of. (I have all info on the unit that was available to the public as well as a take home kit, computer simulator, manual, and training video.)

I have a friend that drives a 1950 Flat head V8 F1 Ford that likes it better than the F150 that he had was a couple of years old.

Many of us are OLD and like OLD thing regardless of it being a GPS unit, airplane, or a motor vehicle that is antiquated.

AT the time that I purchased the GX60 new, it was the BEST approached GPS that I could afford. When it dies, I will get the BEST replacement that I can afford. Right now, I can get a several used GX series unit for parts for less money than I can get any new replacement.

The negative opinions on the GX series units serves me well as it drives the price of used units down and makes it cheaper for me to purchase used parts or spare units.

Please keep up the good work in driving the price down on my spare parts. Please share your opinion with others and do not share mine with them. I like the idea that I can procure several spare units for next to nothing to keep my antiquated installation flying.

Thank you for making it less expensive for me to keep my antiquated equipment flying.

I'm reviving this thread cause I wonder if anyone has or wants to look into reverse engineering an alternate display? There's a ton of these out there with displays that are either dead or dying and they are going for dirt cheap.

Planar P/N EL160.80.40

Here's a spec sheet for the EL160.80.50 (similar?)

Here's the usage documentation for the EL160.80.50 as well

I do hobby electronics on the side, one could easily emulate this display with a small microchip and interface to a new long lasting LED display of similar proportions and much higher and crisper resolution.

Also... this site claims to have the EL160.80.50 for sale for $400.

-Bruce

Last edited:
Found the replacement distributor

Good news/bad news... Found the EL display distributor (Planar sold off this product line). Bad news... They don't have the .40.

I had a quick online chat with "Amanda" from https://www.eldisplays.com. I let her know that should she figure out how to get a .40 display that there is a large pent up demand.

-Bruce

Back