What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 vs Hip Replacement Surgery

hoyden

Well Known Member
I am having left hip replacement surgery next Tuesday. I can imagine this will put a crimp in my flying. If you have had this done or know someone who has, can you share your experience with recovery and the process of getting back into the front seat? I will talk with the PT folks tomorrow. Stepping up on the wing is the most strenuous thing I do with that hip, and lately it has been quite sporting. But oh so worth it once I'm in. Maybe I need to practice stepping up on the wing with my right leg until things heal back.

Best of luck to you. I’m confident that once you’re healed up from this operation, you’ll be in substantially less pain than you were before the operation.

You will likely be out of the airplane for a while. Partly because the mobility required to climb in/out and get yourself situated in the airplane, and largely because of your increased risk of deep vein thrombosis that will be exacerbated if you’re immobile, even something as simple as a one hour flight. A lot of your questions can be cleared up with an airplane-specific conversation with your orthopedist or staff, and perhaps more especially with the occupational therapist that will no doubt be a substantial part of your care.

Last edited:
Attack the rehab and chances are it will have zero/near zero impact on your life. Our hockey goalie had the hips of an 80+ year old at 52 per the Ortho. That position plays **** with lower joints. He was in pain for years before that. Had both replaced two Octobers ago and was back on the ice, in goal the following February. I’ve had similar rehabs. It will hurt like a mofo but tear through that scar tissue and build the muscles back up and the odds are quite good you’ll have that part of your life back.

My sincerest wish fo pr best of luck, Sir.

Had my hip replaced last year, and can only say its the closest thing to a miracle I can imagine. Before surgery, I could not get onto my motorcycle, and could not see myself being able to ever get into a light aircraft again. I was at quite a low point. Within a couple of months I was back on the bike, and well motivated to complete my RV12.
A year later my only regret is putting up with the pain for so long. Good luck, and do the exercises😉
Cheers DaveH

You didn't mention the type canopy you have but if tip-up taildragger you may find pushing yourself up out of the seat to exit may be the most challenging. That first slide up the backrest requires pushing with feet and upper body strength. A slider is easier because you have handholds on the roll bar.

In any case, best wishes for a speedy and total recovery!

I had a hip replacement procedure called Super Path back in 2015, surgery on a Thursday morning, was up walking in the hallway by the afternoon and was released the following day. I rested over the weekend and was back doing normal things on Monday, I did have a 10 pound weight limit for a few weeks but no PT. Seven years later I would do it the same way.

Based on my experience, you will be out of the cockpit for 4 weeks.

I have no idea what a Super Path is but I had hip replacement surgery about 5 years ago and the first two weeks after surgery were pretty miserable although I was improving every day. You are going to need some help. I don’t see you being back in the plane in less than 4 weeks and maybe not for 6-8 weeks.
Worth it in the end though. Hang in there

I have to agree on the antisplat bar. It is the best option or extra I have installed on my plane. You will wonder why you didnt figure it out earlier and then be glad Alan did and made it so easy to install. Getting out is still a little like being born again but much easier!

And I got the cup holder too. I havent used that yet but it is there!

I have no idea what a Super Path is but I had hip replacement surgery about 5 years ago and the first two weeks after surgery were pretty miserable although I was improving every day. You are going to need some help. I don’t see you being back in the plane in less than 4 weeks and maybe not for 6-8 weeks.
Worth it in the end though. Hang in there

State of the art these days is anterior approach hip replacement. Less soft tissue damage, substantially quicker recovery at the possible cost of some longevity. It would be a different experience than what you had.

Hip replacement

I broke my left hip two years ago at age 71. Best thing to do was go into therapy immediately -and do whatever the therapist tells you to do. Measure the distance from ground to wing or ground to step on your airplane. Let your therapist know this figure and establish a goal for reaching that step through exercise. They had me doing a lot of work on a set of stairs at the therapist’s office and using a ladder at home. I also installed the anti-splat foot bar in my airplane. It is worth it’s weight in gold! You need to push yourself every day to reach your goal. You also need to continue walking and/or exercising every day, once your therapy is completed. It’s surprising how quickly you will recover, but your hip can stiffen up just as quickly if you stop exercising after therapy. Enjoy the journey. Get back in the air as soon as you can. Best of luck to you.:)

Worth the short Rehab!

We all handle pain differently especially when dealing with hip pain. I waited for 5 years before I had the nerve to have my right hip replaced. That was 2 years ago when I was 64. You go in the day of surgery in pain and a short time later you emerge feeling great...yes, the meds keep you a bit pain free. Mine was same day surgery. Go in and leave after you walk across the room with a walker, then up and down 5 steps, and finally sit and stand and off to the car you go. Got home and walked around the block with a walker. Next 2 days with the walker and about half mile travelled. 4th day started walking a mile and ditched the walker and no cane at all. As far as flying, went to my plane at week 2 and needed to know if I could climb/crawl on the wing, I did. A week later got into the plane and went for a 30-minute flight. After that the plane was progressively easier to get in and out. I am an ex-college football player and that mentality stayed with me all these years. I walked daily and increased my distance to a mile and a half. The right hip is better than my left and feels so normal. The left one is to be addressed soon. You will be thrilled with the new hip. The anterior surgery is by far best and quickest for recovery. I would suggest that if you are in decent shape prior to surgery that post surgery you get out and walk. Best exercise you can do. This is my experience and my 2 cents. Your mileage may differ. The transition you will have will be so positive. Best of luck!

Steve Koziol
RV9A N424JK
Contribution paid

Had my right hip replaced two years ago, new man. Waited way to long will not wait that long if I need the left one replaced. was sent home with a walker and told to start walking as soon a possible. The biggest issue was the restless legs at night. They are more concerned with blood clots so wore a stocking for a few weeks, took very little pain meds did not like what they were doing to me. Had a waterproof patch where they cut into me so I could get right into the shower. Good luck!!

I busted my left hip in 2014. Apparently, I had my left foot on my RV 8 wing, and the right one on one of those 3 foot tall aluminum step ladders. I say apparently, because I don't remember going down, just suddenly I was on the cement hangar floor, and my hip hurt. ( I was headed for Sun n fun) Anyway, that was 8 years ago, and i'm still flying. Pushing 80.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for sharing! I feel encouraged reading your your stories and suggestions. I'm seeing the PT folks this morning and will let them know my situation. I'm 69 and over the past 5 years I've seen my stamina and mobility diminish. Even more so with the constant pain. I am motivated to do all I can to enhance my recovery.

I had never heard of the antisplat bar. If I had an -A I'd buy it. Has anyone invented something similar for folks with the little wheel in back? I've been flying my RV-6 for 21 years after buying it from Terry Jantzi in 2001 and getting in and out was never a big deal until recently. I started building an RV-9 this year and I plan to install steps on both sides.

Had both hips replaced, January 2020 and January 2022, you should be cleared to fly in 3 months or less ( less if not a commercial pilot)

PT is a must and do it for a several months after.

Best of luck on your recovery

Greg

I had hip replacement a while ago, and hear its even less surgery now, and healing was good and reasonably fast. JUST TAKE EVERY BIT OF PT THAT YOUR
INSURANCE PROVIDES. Only people I know of that had any problems did the
minimum PT or hardly non at all ! You will be glad you did it once over. CHEERS
TOMCATRV4

I had never heard of the antisplat bar. If I had an -A I'd buy it. Has anyone invented something similar for folks with the little wheel in back? I've been flying my RV-6 for 21 years after buying it from Terry Jantzi in 2001 and getting in and out was never a big deal until recently. I started building an RV-9 this year and I plan to install steps on both sides.

Some have installed an armrest between the seats so you have something to apply leverage against with your right hand as you push up out of the seat. At one time there was an armrest for sale be a vendor, don't know it that is still the case.

Last edited:
Yes on the easy-exit bar.
BUT, As far as I can tell it is only for the RV-6A not the tail dragger.
No place to mount it on the tail dragger as far as I know.
I have it in my RV-6A and really like it and my hips are fine. I am 6'3" tall so like the help. I also have the RV-14 seat mod.
My three cents worth Art

I am 68, 5'11", 180 lbs. Had left total hip replacement in 2018, and right earlier this year. In both cases, up walking same day as surgery. Do the rehab faithfully and you should be back in the saddle in a matter of weeks, not months. My experience is 50% normal at 30-days, 90% at 6 months. 100% at 2-years. You can do it!

Advances in joint replacement surgery over the last 3-5 years…hip, knee, shoulder, elbow…have been truly astonishing. For the most part, postoperative pain, patient recovery, and joint longevity don’t bear much resemblance to those same operations done five years ago.

Anterior approach surgey

Doug, make sure you choose a surgeon who does the anterior approach surgery. It is much less invasive than the traditional method and the recovery is much shorter. Dr. Crawford at Texas Hip and Knee does them. Hope you get back in the plane soon.

I am having left hip replacement surgery next Tuesday. I can imagine this will put a crimp in my flying. If you have had this done or know someone who has, can you share your experience with recovery and the process of getting back into the front seat? I will talk with the PT folks tomorrow. Stepping up on the wing is the most strenuous thing I do with that hip, and lately it has been quite sporting. But oh so worth it once I'm in. Maybe I need to practice stepping up on the wing with my right leg until things heal back.

I had my second hip replacement Jan. 10 of this year. I flew my RV6 64 days after my surgery date ;).

I had the more common posterior procedure. My hip precautions included not exceeding a 90° bend on the operated hip for at least 90 days:(.

I attached a cord to a small plastic step stool allowing me to pull the step stool up after getting on the wing and taking it with me. I could reverse the procedure after landing (it might take a couple of tries to get the stool located upright). My RV6 is a tip-up. Getting up from the setting position means most of the lift must come from the non-operated leg. Stepping over the side with out exceeding the 90° limitation is doable:eek:.

My first hip replacement was 17 years ago while I was still building my RV6. Both knees done between the two so now I'm kinda "titanium" man and much more pain free with the "store bought" after market parts.:)

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your experience and perspective. Day after tomorrow I'll know more about how things turned out. I was hoping to get a bit more quality time with Athena before the surgery but the weather is not cooperating.

You didn't mention the type canopy you have but if tip-up taildragger you may find pushing yourself up out of the seat to exit may be the most challenging. That first slide up the backrest requires pushing with feet and upper body strength. A slider is easier because you have handholds on the roll bar.

In any case, best wishes for a speedy and total recovery!

Cut your seat back shorter, just enough to clear the brace. You can then lift yourself out with your elbows.

It also makes it much easier to reach things in the back. The amount that you cut off is useless for back support... you will never miss it.

I had my right hip replaced a couple years ago. You never mentioned what type of surgery. There is a world of difference in recovery time and restrictions between the traditional posterior approach and the newer anterior approach.

I had the anterior approach done. Out patient procedure, no PT required. Doc wanted me walking as much as I could. First week was kinda miserable due to the surgical recovery, but after that was just getting used to the new hip. Medically cleared as a 747 cargo pilot in 4 weeks. Zero restrictions and two years later my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. YMMV

John

I'm home from the hospital and it's all pain and stiffness. The good news is I don't need to be concerned about the hip joint. It's solid, no matter what the surrounding muscles feel. The hospital staff said the pain and stiffness would increase in the days after surgery. I'm doing the OT and PT therapies, getting a few more aids to ease life at home, and generally moving about rather than being sentient. Onward through the pain.

As a long term multiple joint replacement survivor, the one common thread , is
WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER, Especially with new techniques! Tom

I hold on to the thought that being stiff and sore will eventually pass. I will need the other hip replaced. At least now I know what to expect. I'm encouraged to hear folks report no regrets except for not doing it sooner.

Charger, sitting here 2 weeks and 1 day after anterior hip replacement (58 years old...my doc says I'm cursed with bad joints). Anyway, just took the dogs for a walk. Estimate a 1/4 mile out and 1/4 mile back. Feels good. Walked slowly with a bit of achiness now. My doc told me yesterday to "walk, walk, walk". Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be amazed. Good luck.

Thanks for the data point. I'm 4 days post-op, use a walker, and on pain meds. I amble about the house with moderate pain and stiffness.

As a long term multiple joint replacement survivor, the one common thread , is
WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER, Especially with new techniques! Tom

That statement is impossible..... you can't do anything sooner with new techniques.....:D

I wish I built my RV6A sooner with RV7A techniques....:rolleyes:

Progress!

Day 6 post op. I began to notice yesterday I could extend the time between pain meds. Today I made it 12 hours without meds. Then I managed to get in my car and drive around the neighborhood. Left leg is the clutch and I have sufficient stamina to work it. Not yet eyeing when to think about climbing in to Athena. I have a motorized tug to move her in and out of the hangar so I just need to get up on the wing.

Not yet eyeing when to think about climbing in to Athena. I have a motorized tug to move her in and out of the hangar so I just need to get up on the wing.

More importantly....you also have to get down off the wing....

Seriously though...sounds like you're making great progress.

Oh, yeah. There's that. I assumed stepping up to the wing would be harder than stepping down because gravity. This may not be an accurate assumption.
More importantly....you also have to get down off the wing....

Seriously though...sounds like you're making great progress.

First Flight with New Hip

One month and one day after surgery I flew Athena on this lovely cool day. I got in by kneeling on the wing and crawling up until I had room to stand up. Then I could step over the fuselage and on to the seat, and settle in. Getting out I sat down on the wing and slid off legs first while being careful not to put any pressure on the flap. So nice to be back in air.

Back