What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X - VP-X - POS-12 flaps config

maus92

Well Known Member
I was configuring my flaps today and discovered that the flaps position indication on the G3X was reversed and the caret does not travel the full range of the scale. In other words, when the flaps are up, the G3X shows them down, and vice-versa, and the flaps caret doesn't travel the full range of the scale. I can see position values change in the VP-X configurator when raising or lowering the flaps via the stick switch or the VP-X software. Note that I had to reverse polarity for the flap motor in the configurator software to run the flaps in the proper direction with the switch or the configurator software.

My understanding is that the VP-X drives the indication on the G3X - is this correct? What would cause the reverse indication? Is it possible that one of the position sensor wires is reversed? Would the flap motor polarity setting affect the indication? How is the flaps indicator scaled?

Ideas?

Just swap the numbers for the flap up and down limits in the Configurator.

So if you are using (for example) 10 and 240, swap it so it is now 240 and 10.

If it does not show the whole range, then you either have numbers that are outside the range of the flaps (run the flaps up then all the way down and see what the range is - it should be larger than 0 and less than 255) or the POS-12 is not mounted properly and it hits its limits before the flaps do.

Just swap the numbers for the flap up and down limits in the Configurator.

So if you are using (for example) 10 and 240, swap it so it is now 240 and 10.

If it does not show the whole range, then you either have numbers that are outside the range of the flaps (run the flaps up then all the way down and see what the range is - it should be larger than 0 and less than 255) or the POS-12 is not mounted properly and it hits its limits before the flaps do.

Thanks for the quick reply. When I went out to the plane today and repowered the ship, somehow the values had flipped, and the caret moved in the proper direction, and the scale was more or less proportional on the G3X. I didn't have to do much more than tweak the settings to get the motor to shut off at the stops, and calculate the midpoints. Recycling the power must have done something...

Power cycling does not scramble the numbers - a lot of work went into making sure that doesn't happen.

Dare I say...maybe... perhaps... operator error? :rolleyes:

Need help with the flap position scale on G3x display

I've got the VP-X and G3x Touch installed with the flaps and POS12 wired to the VP-x per the manual. Flaps go up and down with the momentary switch as they should. Up and Down indicator flag on the G3X display showed backward.. that is.... up when down and down when up so I switched the green and blue wires and the indicator moves in the correct direction now.

I can't seem to get the indicator flag to move smoothly. It seems to hesitate then jump ahead then pause and then jump again. I though it was a bad POS12 sensor to I purchased another and it still doesn't work right. When I look on the configurator page the numbers go from 1 to 17 as the flaps deploy.

So I put a number 1 in the configuration box at one the end of the scale and 17 at the other with 6 and 11 as midpoints. I have read about numbers in the 20 to 240 range but don't see anything like that on my configuration page as I run the flaps up and down and watch the numbers change.

Also, the manual says I should be able to move the flaps with the up and down boxes on the config page, but if I click the mouse on those boxes nothing happens.

I suspect I missed a step somewhere in the setup but can't seem to figure out anything that works.

Suggestion of things to look at or try?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

The scale on the G3X will need to be directed to Garmin.

When you press the up and down button in the configurator, does the command change from OFF to ON and back to OFF when released?

Email me or calling may be easier, but I'll try to check in here as often as I can today.

I had the same problem when setting up my flaps. I have a G3X non-touch with a VPX. What I found is that you can only have one system hooked up to the sensor. Since you plan on only using the VPX it should be the only system connected. I had both hooked up and it was doing what you described, particularly having both the input voltage wires hooked together.

Hope this helps.

Figured it out

Hi, just an FYI,

I messed up by swapping the green stripe and blue stripe wires to the POS12 flap sensor from the VP-X.

That was what was causing my calibration issue. It was intermittent but once I put the wires back correctly everything was fine.

So when calibrating the flaps with VP-X, setting the correct flap movement while deploying or retracting requires swapping the start and end point numbers on the calibration page not swapping the wires.

Which is the way it says to do it anyway, another learning moment.

Steve

Back