- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you building an RV-15?
Yep 49 18.99%
Nope 133 51.55%
Maybe 76 29.46%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2022, 08:16 AM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I am even more ALL IN. Can I send you my credit card already?
+2 on PilotjohnS post
Old 08-13-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
Looking for a high wing to replace my RV6 but no time to build, cost of the RV15 used when any available $150K+.
At least ...

Kits ... probably around $55
Engine ... $50
Avionics ... $35
Paint ... $25
Prop ... $8 (or $12-$17 for composite)

If it turns out as good as a lot of us expect, they will sell for north of $250, just like the 14, until there is sufficient supply to meet the demand.
N196 RV-14A #140376 (Flying) 2019 Bronze Lindy
N169 Carbon Cub EX-3 (Finishing)
N15Z RV-15 (Waiting ... impatiently)

Last edited by bkervaski : 08-13-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:55 AM

I'm firmly in the "maybe" camp. I'm finishing rebuilding my Maule M4-220C, and have an RV-4 project on the way. I feel like the two airplanes will compliment each other pretty nicely, but the -15 could be a good blending of the two with only having to insure one plane.

It likely will come down to the numbers- the -15 is about 15 knots faster in cruise than the Maule, for I assume a similar fuel burn, but I suspect the Maule may perform better at gross (speculation, for sure). I get four seats and unbeatable baggage access with the Maule, too.

I am for sure looking forward to seeing the final numbers for the -15 though, and think it will be a great, highly sought after kit when it's ready.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
I'm firmly in the "maybe" camp.
I'd say this as well. It'll depend on a number of factors, but:

1. I still have an RV-10 to finish--my main mission is travel.
2. Out here in the eastern US, there aren't many places where a backcountry plane makes sense
3. I'd like to have one for sightseeing, etc., but the lack of destinations for a backcountry airplane here make something like an RV-8 a more interesting option for just banging around the sky.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Is there another kit with similar specs I can build?

Maybe you mean something like the 170, I have no interest in flying dinosaurs ... and I love building ...
Lots of kits are out there. To name but two, the Rans S21 and Glasair Sportsman - neither are flying dinosaurs.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:22 PM

Anne has my email order......!

Donated in 2022
Old 08-14-2022, 04:40 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Lots of kits are out there. To name but two, the Rans S21 and Glasair Sportsman - neither are flying dinosaurs.
The S21 is a totally different sized airplane than the -15.the Sportsman is a reasonably close comparison.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-16-2022, 09:53 AM

Default North Texas Builders

Heck, between myself, Doug R, and the initial kits Jay Pratt plans to order? We can probably have a dedicated delivery truck: from Oregon to North Texas

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skylane 182
* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub! **EDIT EDIT: the Cub will be for sale, the day Vans offers the new RV-15 for sale!
Old 08-16-2022, 10:13 AM

Here's why I'm interested:
We own a Cessna 180. It's 65 years old. It has been well cared-for, but stuff wears out. Parts are increasingly A) difficult to source, and B) prohibitively expensive. This is true across the "vintage" Standard Certificated fleet. Qualified and interested GA shops are starting to be an issue, as well. It has a useful load of 1000 lbs. To validate Scott's comments, we take the back seat out of it in order to take it places like OSH with all our "stuff". Can't fit our mountain bikes in it very well, and we've tried. I can count on two hands the number of times we've had more than 2 people in it in the last 4 years. Having the back seat is nice, but not essential to our use.

We built an RV-7. Truly love it, with three notable exceptions: it is sometimes difficult for the non-yoga crowd to get into and out of easily, baggage volume is limited, and the seats are fixed once you're sitting in them. The last two things make long cross country/camping trips fatiguing and sometimes a logistical challenge. But she goes fast, so that's a mitigating factor.

The RV has a full dual 10" screen IFR capable Garmin G3X system that we wired ourselves. Having a certified shop put in just two G5's and a 375 in the Cessna cost us almost as much as purchasing all of the the boxes for the RV. Having the shop put LITERALLY the same autopilot system in the Cessna but "certified" would be about 4 times what it cost us to equip the RV. We had looked at an S-21 as a replacement for the Cessna but were put off by the low service ceiling and speeds on the Titan equipped model (not a problem in the flat lands but kind of an issue for anything more than 50 miles West of my house) and the small baggage compartment. Knowing it wasn't backcountry capable but at least had more space and better entry and egress, and oh, those sliding seats(!) we were three months into an RV-10 build when the -15 was announced. D'oh!

So if Van's can offer similar enough airframe and mission profiles to the 180 with the advantages of the E-AB world and ease of their kits and quality of the RV aircraft characteristics, we're in. It would be enough of the best of both worlds. I'm okay if it doesn't fly as fast as a Lancair or doesn't hold 100 gallons of fuel, or make me an espresso in flight :-D

Andrew and Florence
RV-6 Bought one flying and sold again
RV-7 100% slow build. Completed 4/2021. Phase 1 completed, flew it to OSH '21!.
RV-10 Tail done. Wings in progress.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 543TB View Post
... or make me an espresso in flight :-D
https://caffe2go.com/products/presso-xi

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)