What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Prices

msturgis

Well Known Member
So when my son was sick I basicly fell of the face of the "RV World" for some time.

I ended up selling my angle valve IO360 core, and some other items to help pay for health care costs. I did so with the plans on taking a hard look at the IO-375.

I seem to remember the engine running in the 24-25K range. I had a look tonight and saw over 29K :eek: Did prices take a large jump in the last year or so? I may be wrong, but I was just wondering.

I have the simplest Lycoming ever with solid crank no options. Just checked the price $25,700 vs $19,750 I paid in 2009 :eek: Buy your engine early.

Matt, engine prices are (or already HAVE) increased greatly!

When I first entered this endeavor (10 years ago!!!), I was looking at the IO-360-A1B6. The 390 then came out and it actually COST LESS than the A1B6. I changed my plans and put my sights on that because it was the most HP for the dollar.

Since then, the 390 got certified; so up went the cost.

I started looking at Bart's IO-375, the Superior 400, the 340 and all the others. I wanted MORE HP!

I ended up with Mattituck's 180 HP Parallel valved, Horizontal inducted ECi engine and am very pleased with my decision.

I can't say enough GREAT things about Mattituck. I flew down there and handled things in person. I know that isn't an option for many but it was for me. Their operation is as good or better than one might expect. The people are top notch and the product is super fine! The whole process went without a hiccup from start to finish.

What I discovered is the cost goes up BIG after 180 and those ponies north of 180 are the most costly and unnecessary one's. The RV works just fine on 180 HP and the prop still goes 'round.

I just purchased my engine for what I think was the last of their lower prices. I seem to recall Mike Yousik saying something about having to raise their prices after my engine was delivered. Mahlon can give you their current prices.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

:) CJ

IMG_0011.JPG

recent engine price escalation

In the two and a half years since my engine was delivered the price has increased a whopping 8k! YIKES.

makes me sick...

I have been speaking to Mattituck about an engine, but I am not quite ready to pull the trigger. I don't want a new engine sitting around the garage on the floor for a year.
The roller tappet TMXIO360 is now $27,700.00

That is up a whopping 10% from LAST MONTH!

I realize it may not be the engine builders as much at the parts folks, but they better be careful they don't out-price themselves all out of a job. Almost 30K for an air cooled 180HP 4 cylinder engine...gimme a break.

A little discouraging. :confused:

Chad

Definatly not what they used to be but you can still get a superior IO-360 for under $24,000. There's always the option of an ECI kit engine. So there are some options but like everyone is saying nowhere near what they used to be. I will be purchasing mine next week. One more big item off the list.......

-david

I too got caught in the engine prices sky rocketing. In 2008, I was thinking a $28K IO-390 (210hp) would be perfect....Then spring of '09 I looked at all the big shops and thought I could swing a $24-25K IO-360 (180hp). But come fall of '09, I priced a IO-360, Superior cold sump & AFP injection, Pmags, etc.....$26K+ :eek: what to do....Prices were climbing faster than I could save the money, so I took a small loan to purchase one.

I ended up going with a overhaul built to my specs. Ready to go was about $21K in December '09. couldn't afford a new engine, but this one does okay.

RV-7build366.jpg

Thoughts on prices

Anyone with "insider knowledge" know the reasoning (not that it matters)? Many prices are stabilizing for many things due to the economy but I was thinking economy of scale? Big drop in sales for many new aircraft over the last few years so they charge more for the fewer they sell?

I too got caught in the engine prices sky rocketing. In 2008, I was thinking a $28K IO-390 (210hp) would be perfect....Then spring of '09 I looked at all the big shops and thought I could swing a $24-25K IO-360 (180hp). But come fall of '09, I priced a IO-360, Superior cold sump & AFP injection, Pmags, etc.....$26K+ :eek: what to do....Prices were climbing faster than I could save the money, so I took a small loan to purchase one.

I ended up going with a overhaul built to my specs. Ready to go was about $21K in December '09. couldn't afford a new engine, but this one does okay.

RV-7build366.jpg

Thanks Brian. I've kept up with you via Facebook, I'll admit watching your RV posts is a big reason I held on to my project.

engine $$$$ vs aircraft?? $$$$ whaaaaa?

Yes, that installation is almost too pretty to fly!

...but the slump in aircraft ( new) sales could account for some reduction in economy of scale, but hard to see that showing up in one year. More like, if the parts guys made 2000 lifters last year, and some are still on the shelf, the price would go DOWN to clear old inventory!

so if new engines are creeping up on $30k...again....and used aircraft prices headed the opposite direction........doesn't it make sense to buy an old, beatup Archer or something for $20,000, part it out, and get the engine updated & zero timed? I really don't know, sure it's more hassle than just sending your credit card # to an engine builder, but perhaps an option none the less?

.... I'll admit watching your RV posts is a big reason I held on to my project.

Just trying to share the passion. Many people on VAF, Sport Air Racing League and a local friend helped me to the finish line. Glad I could help you, as I knew deep down you didn't want to sell(but I understand the choices you were under)

I like to make a comparison to automobile engines, for half that price you can buy a 200 hp auto with the entire luxury car attached, AND with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty! I wonder if Lycoming were making a couple million of a certain engine a year if their price would come down because of it, or if certification costs would eat it all up...

Yes, that installation is almost too pretty to fly!

...but the slump in aircraft ( new) sales could account for some reduction in economy of scale, but hard to see that showing up in one year. More like, if the parts guys made 2000 lifters last year, and some are still on the shelf, the price would go DOWN to clear old inventory!

so if new engines are creeping up on $30k...again....and used aircraft prices headed the opposite direction........doesn't it make sense to buy an old, beatup Archer or something for $20,000, part it out, and get the engine updated & zero timed? I really don't know, sure it's more hassle than just sending your credit card # to an engine builder, but perhaps an option none the less?

Perry, That's not the way it goes. If you make 2000 lifters last year you need to make 2100 this year and 2200 the next.

These engine shops are getting slower and the only way corporate can bolster the bottom like and keep the doors open is to raise the cost.

It ain't right but that is the way a CEO sees it.

We NEED a clean sheet of paper. A new, reliable, inexpensive engine that runs on WATER and emits US currency for exhaust!

:( CJ

Back