What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heater Cables - Pro Tip

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I'm in the middle of installing the heater cables into an almost complete RV-10. That means running them through the little strip at the bottom of the panel, below the sub-panel, around the brake lines, through the jiggy-jog on the firewall, through the guiding clamps, and terminating them at the heater valves. All while working in hard to reach spaces.

If at all possible, I suggest you fit the cables prior to hanging the engine, and (if possible) before fitting the forward upper fuselage. That way, you can route the cables, clamp them in place while you have easy firewall access, cut the cables and sheaths to length, then remove them to be "final installed" later. It'll be much easier doing the initial fit-up while you have good access, so you only have to deal with the cables once after you install the panel and engine.

Trust me.

I thought the same thing previously when doing mine EXCEPT you need to have your panel in as you have to feed the cable through the panel hole prior to hooking up.

Last edited:
Jiggy-Jog

I don't know, if it were me I think I may like to fit it through the Jiggy-Jog just because it sounds fun :D

I don't know, if it were me I think I may like to fit it through the Jiggy-Jog just because it sounds fun :D

You are welcome to lay in the front footwell, face against the rudder pedals, stomach on the flat area where the seats rest, and knees in the rear footwell. With a ratchet in one hand, while manipulating a clamp, a bolt, and two cables with the other hand. This is the starting position for clamping the cables as they pass through the jiggy-jog. One of the true joys of homebuilding! ;-)

For the full experience, do not vacuum the swarf or shavings from the footwells, so there will be plenty to embed in your elbows and knees.

...to lay in the front footwell, face against the rudder pedals, stomach on the flat area where the seats rest, and knees in the rear footwell. With a ratchet in one hand, while manipulating a clamp, a bolt, and two cables with the other hand....

For the full experience, do not vacuum the swarf or shavings from the footwells, so there will be plenty to embed in your elbows and knees.

Oh, the sweet memories of the panel upgrade on my 6 :eek:

Back