What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matte paint

Jcy482

I love the look of matte finish paint, but don't see too many. Buildflygo has one that is a great example. Is there a reason this is a bad idea, or is it just not the most common choice?

I love the look of matte finish paint, but don't see too many. Buildflygo has one that is a great example. Is there a reason this is a bad idea, or is it just not the most common choice?

One limitation to matte finished is that they are not easily repaired in a small area. Matching a matte finish can be nearly impossible. So, hangar rash or chips down the road will be a real challenge if you want to repair. I agree, they do look good!!

What Randy said, but I would also add I would think you need a really clean paint booth. When I restored my Mustang I really wanted to do it, but gave in and went BC/CC so I could cut/buff out the dirt and bugs.

I envision a mix of matte paint and polished aluminum if I decide to build an RV-8. However it might look so nice that I'm afraid to fly it!

I envision a mix of matte paint and polished aluminum if I decide to build an RV-8. However it might look so nice that I'm afraid to fly it!

I am thinking matte black or grey and Jeep's 2005 Electric lime green accents. I had a jeep in that color and want it on my airplane.

For accents, you can get some really good-looking matte and textured vinyl.

For entire airplane, take a look at PPG PSX-700_SG_ ("semi-gloss") topcoat.

Thought of the same thing on the weekend till I did some research and found it is difficult to repair, show scratches real well and would likely not stand up to the rigours of flying. Using vinyl accents as some have already pointed out seems to be the only option.

Keith

Higher aerodynamic drag! Research top speeds of WWII fighters with matte finish vs gloss or polished finish. It's significant. Also Reno racers. Personal taste, but BTW I hate the look. Every time I see a new matte finished car I think they never quite finished it.

You can buy flattening agent. It looks like micro balloons. It would take a few sample sprays to nail down the mix but once done is repeatable with good measurements. I added it to my interior grey. Probably have the measurements somewhere. :D

My -8 is a matte grey finish with black vinyl accents. This was accomplished using the flattening agent that was mentioned above. I wanted a military look, and I think that was accomplished. I will say that the paint is a little fragile, and can scratch easily. Other than that, I love it.

45350705-62EB-431B-B6F3-B27BCA4AE030.jpg

Last edited:
My -8 is a matte grey finish with black vinyl accents. This was accomplished using the flattening agent that was mentioned above. I wanted a military look, and I think that was accomplished. I will say that the paint is a little fragile, and can scratch easily. Other than that, I love it.

View attachment 7809

Thanks for the photo. How are the black markings/ lettering done?

Back