What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back up Efis

I put in a G5 with back up battery as dissimilar backup to my 4500 (now 5400), which will also run off my backup 680. It gets GPS from the 430W, so I get track. I did not give it its own GPS antenna nor it’s own magnetometer. And of course there’s the iPad and iPhone.

I'm going to use a Garmin G5 with its own antenna and a back up battery in my new RV8. The primary instrument will be a GRT 10.1 Horizon.

my choice

I went with the Kanardia Horis in both our RVs because it is available as a 2 1/4 inch size. Have had it for 2.5 years now and works great.

Depending on your current install and intended operation (IFR/VFR)...many of the Garmin GPS navigators have built in AHRS information to send to Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight. For IFR, I use this as AHRS #3

FWIW I use a DYNON D6 as my backup. 11yrs and over 1,000hrs of use with no issues whatsoever. YMMV

2019 Upgraded Panel Up.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
G5 here, but I'm currently beta-testing a new device in its place that hasn't hit the market yet.

Back