What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-heating on winter cross-country flight.

flybye

Well Known Member
I'm planning a cross country flight and thinking of ways to pre-heat my engine. I don't want to limit myself to airports with FBO's where I may rent pre-heating equipment. I do have a sump heater. I'm considering bringing an extension cable and plugging in the heater whenever there's an outlet available.
Wondering how others handle this problem.
Jim

Hair blow dryer with a bit of scat tubing and extension cord is what I use because it will heat up entire engine relatively quickly. Your sump pad should do the same but will probably just take longer.

Still it is a bit of a pain having to rely on availability of electricity.

If I am flying C.C. in the winter I carry an extension cord. You can almost always find somewhere to plug-in.
Another alternative (if you are getting a rental car) is to carry a section of flexible dryer vent duct. It stores in a small/light space and can be run from a car exhaust to the cowling.

I suggest getting an extension cord with the lighted ends to indicate power is available.
Many years ago on a snowy night, I arrived at a small airport and quickly ran the cords, covered the engines and was on my way in the crew car.
Returned the next morning and found the ramp outlet was not working causing a delay till the temps came up.

I suggest getting an extension cord with the lighted ends to indicate power is available.
Many years ago on a snowy night, I arrived at a small airport and quickly ran the cords, covered the engines and was on my way in the crew car.
Returned the next morning and found the ramp outlet was not working causing a delay till the temps came up.

ditto, extension cord with a light

I WOULD NOT use a car exhaust to preheat my engine. You are introducing all sorts of contaminants into the engine compartment including moisture.

Just stick a propane torch up the exhaust for 5 mins.

That's a new one, simple - I like it! Stainless exhaust wouldn't be damaged, most heat will be lost via radiation & convection inside the cowl before reaching the cylinders so I can't imagine you could damage an exhaust valve doing this. Probably just need to make sure the torch is up far enough that you don't make the exhaust adjacent the cowl exit glow red hot and burn the cowl in that area. You would be adding quite a bit of water condensate to the exhaust and maybe even some into a cylinder if its valve is open but you would just blast it out when the engine starts.

Has anybody who has done this report on how well it works? Any issues? This is a lot simpler, lighter, and less bulky than the propane heater with 12 VDC blower I carry for this purpose. Faster than electric and no need for access to 120 VAC power.

Last edited:
A hangar neighbor came up with a great portable pre-heater.

He took a chunk of galvanized heat ducting and cut two oval holes in its sides, stood the heat duct up over a plywood base that features a mount for a computer fan. A pair of bicycle water bottle holders were added... they hold the pair of propane torches that blow their heat into the heating duct, which is then blown upward by the battery-powered computer fan. A duct reducer allowed connection of 4" SCAT tubing to duct the heat up into the engine cowl. The whole thing weighs maybe 5lbs with a pair of full 1lb propane cylinders.

Warm-up time on a C172 was reported to be 20-30 minutes on a Canadian winter morning.

Travel Preheater

I made up a small but powerful preheater I take on winter trips away from home. Started with a 1500 watt cube heater that's roughly 6"x6"x6". (On loan from my wife) Bought a metal 6" to 4" reducer at Home Depot. Then 4" clothes dryer hose that expands to about 8' long. I cut a car wash sponge in half to plug the round James Cowling intakes.
First use was visiting my mother in SC. The evening before departure I set the heater to about 30% and ran it overnight. OAT was 35*f when I got to the airport, oil temp, and everything else in the engine compartment, was 85*F.
Of course this rig requires an extension cord, which I forgot to bring, but my dear mother loaned me one.
Image here https://photos.app.goo.gl/UU8wLoLBHZ9VoU1u6
I searched "cube heater" on Amazon and found the modern equivalent to our little heater is about $39 new. I hope Sherri doesn't ask for her heater back.:rolleyes:

What I have used when travelling if I am unable to verify electricity to plug in a long extension cord or a heated hangar is a little buddy propane heater to which I crafted a metal funnel that leads to a stainless dryer hose. I stuff the end of this hose into the cowl and let heat. Works fairly quickly for the whole compartment. I know there is some concern about carrying a propane bottle. I have car camped with propane bottles up to 12k and never had a problem so seems they should be good to at least that altitude.

Back