What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute Seat Pack Cushion

RhinoDrvr

Well Known Member
I've got a seat pack parachute for my RV-8, and the seating position is fantastic. The downside is...comfort.

I'm considering making a memory foam cushion with a cove cut into it that fits over top of the parachute pack, but wanted to ensure that something like that wouldn't interfere with deployment of the bag.

The parachute is a seat pack softie. If it is successful, I may trade in the aft cockpit backpack for another seat pack integrated with the seat cushion.

My end goal is to have a comfortable parachute solution that is always in the airplane regardless of mission (cross country, aerobatics, etc...)

Anybody have any experience with this problem?

I'm also 6'2" / 210lbs, so while not extraordinarily large for an RV-8, headroom and space is a consideration.

Oregon Aero

Talk to the folks at Oregon Aero. They make Parachute Pads, which are memory foam pads designed to be ?worn? in conjunction with a seat or back type parachute to make them more comfortable.

?We Make Parachute Pads! Here?s another problem we help solve. If you fly classic warbirds or perform aerobatics, you know it?s uncomfortable to sit on your parachute or conventional para- chute pads. We make cus- tomized para- chute pads with the same atten- tion to detail and materials we use for all Oregon Aero? Seat Cushion Systems. For more information, call us at 800-888-6910.?

Yes, contact Holly at Para-Phernalia and she will help you out. They make a 1 inch and 2 inch seat pad that will snap in place. Both memory foam and standard foam and in a color to match your seat pack. Affordable too.

Back