What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 now eligible for 2 inch n numbers?

I put 2" numbers on my 6 last April. Put the X after the N, too, so that I don't have to have the word "EXPERIMENTAL" in 2" high numbers. Had to convince the DAR that it was all legal and he did sign off on it.

Ed Holyoke

Im assuming you don?t need to add the X to reg, just add it on the n number only?

When adding the "X" to the "N" number you do NOT change any paperwork or use it in radio transmissions. The "X" simply replaces the "Experimental" placard on the aircraft.

IIRC, you can thank the EAA for the two inch numbers. At one point, new FAA administration asked the EAA what the FAA could do as a peace offering, and the 2? numbers were it.

Has there been a recent change to the size of the n numbers?
Mike S
Glasair III

No, the rules have not changed for decades. What is being referred to is that a small U.S. registered aircraft, an experimental exhibition, or experimental amateur-built replica of an aircraft built over 30 years ago may display 2" N numbers. ref part 45.22(b).

Last edited:
Has there been a recent change to the size of the n numbers?

Mike S
Glasair III

?Antique? aircraft (30 years old) or a ?replica? of an aircraft that was flying 30 years ago can display 2? N numbers. An experimental ?antique? or ?replica? can also display NX in the N number instead of the required 2? EXPERIMENTAL placard

?Antique? aircraft (30 years old) or a ?replica? of an aircraft that was flying 30 years ago can display 2? N numbers. An experimental ?antique? or ?replica? can also display NX in the N number instead of the required 2? EXPERIMENTAL placard

Be aware that the "replica" part only applies to Experimental Amateur-Built and Exhibition aircraft. It does NOT apply to Experimental Light-Sport aircraft.

I'm reading AC 45-2E (10/01/2015) and I can't find where an RV can use the "X" prefix or 2" N-numbers.

Is there a newer version of AC 45-2E? Is an RV now considered an antique aircraft?

No, the rules have not changed for decades. What is being referred to is that a small U.S. registered aircraft, an experimental exhibition, or experimental amateur-built replica of an aircraft built over 30 years ago may display 2" N numbers. ref part 45.22(b).

For the "X", and 2" limitation, ref part 45.22(b).

“Antique” aircraft (30 years old) or a “replica” of an aircraft that was flying 30 years ago can display 2” N numbers. An experimental “antique” or “replica” can also display NX in the N number instead of the required 2” EXPERIMENTAL placard

I agree with all the above, just wondering about the posts that inferred they had used the "X" prefix and 2" numbers on an RV.

I used both the "X" and 2" numbers on my latest project, but it is an experimental amateur-built replica of a 1918 Fokker D.VII.

Last edited:
So...

Am I to infer that an RV built yesterday is considered a replica of an RV built 30 years ago, and therefore eligible under the chapter and verse stated?

RV-8 will be due in 2025

Per the Van's Website :

"In 1995, Van?s decided to re-visit the tandem seating concept. Even though the side-by-side RV-6/6A had become the most popular homebuilt design ever, there was still a significant percentage of pilots who really wanted centerline seating. The consensus seemed to be that a roomier tandem airplane with better cross-country capability would be popular.

A one-of-a-kind demonstrator was built and introduced at Oshkosh in 1995."

Am I to infer that an RV built yesterday is considered a replica of an RV built 30 years ago, and therefore eligible under the chapter and verse stated?

Yes, the RV-3, -4, and -6 are all eligible.

Last edited:
What's the exact magic date for a -6A?

I don't know the exact date, but I seem to remember that the -6A came out while I was building my -6 sometime in the late '80s.
I remember because when I ordered my fuselage kit it came earlier than expected because they started delivering the "A" kits which freed up the TD kits.

From my builder's log: "09/18/1989 - Completed inventory of fuselage kit - Shortages noted to Van's."

Last edited:
I don't know the exact date, but I seem to remember that the -6A came out while I was building my -6 sometime in the late '80s.
I remember because when I ordered my fuselage kit it came earlier than expected because they started delivering the "A" kits which freed up the TD kits.

From my builder's log: "09/18/1989 - Completed inventory of fuselage kit - Shortages noted to Van's."

I think it was late spring 1988 (but I don't know the exact month)
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=666RV

First big public debut was OSH 88

Last edited:
Looks like the Airworthiness Certificate (Market Survey) was issued 11/29/87, so I think one could reasonably assume that it flew before the end of March, 1988. Therefore it should be eligible for 2" numbers and "NXxxxxx".

Clean your glasses Mel.....;)

The date you are looking at is 11/29/2017
That is when the last Market Survey C of A was issued (they are only good for a year)

It looks like the orig certificate was issued 04/21/1988, so I wasn't too far off.

That is when the last Market Survey C of A was issued (they are only good for a year)
It looks like the orig certificate was issued 04/21/1988, so I wasn't too far off.

Sorry about that! Like many of us, I saw what I expected to see instead of what was actually there.

p.s. I haven't worn glasses for over 5 years. CrystaLens implants November of 2012. They are fantastic!

Last edited:

So in 3 weeks I can peel off my 3 inch vinyl numbers and change it to NX61GX in 2 inch numbers

Neat. :)

So in 3 weeks I can peel off my 3 inch vinyl numbers and change it to NX61GX in 2 inch numbers

YEP! BTW; a lot of FAA types aren't familiar with some rules. I always recommend that a copy of part 45.22(b) be kept in the aircraft to show if questioned.

Last edited:
Rule change

How much you wanna bet that rule will get changed when 100s or 1000s of RVs switch to 2" numbers? :D

How much you wanna bet that rule will get changed when 100s or 1000s of RVs switch to 2" numbers? :D

Not likely to change. There are lots of airplanes been flying around for years with 2" numbers.

Not likely to change. There are lots of airplanes been flying around for years with 2" numbers.

Many certified aircraft came from the factory with 2" numbers till Jan. 1983, and could keep them on till the A/C was painted or the number changed. They also fall under the same 30 year exemption.

In my opinion.... I can see no difference between 2" and 3" numbers from 200' away.....:D

Being the difference is only one inch I wouldn't sweat it, unless a female agent was performing the inquiry. Women seem to be more tuned in to measurements when inches are involved.

As I said, neat... :D

oEo.jpg

Hmmm....

Sam's Fokker is a replica in appearance, only. Nothing about it, structural, powerplant, etc, is anything like the original.

Can I apply the same standard to my -7 (replica of a -6, obviously), when I get ready to apply the N numbers?

Charlie
(More popcorn, please.)

Hmmm....
Sam's Fokker is a replica in appearance, only. Nothing about it, structural, powerplant, etc, is anything like the original.
Can I apply the same standard to my -7 (replica of a -6, obviously), when I get ready to apply the N numbers?
Charlie
(More popcorn, please.)

Nope! Sorry, but the RV-7 is not a replica of the RV-6.

Actually there are a lot of "X" N numbers out there that are not legal to the letter of the law. FAA, Washington, interprets "replica" to be of the same configuration up to and including dimensional size. So, technically, even a 3/4 scale P-51 does not meet the rule.

Last edited:
Nope! Sorry, but the RV-7 is not a replica of the RV-6.

Actually there are a lot of "X" N numbers out there that are not legal to the letter of the law. FAA, Washington, interprets "replica" to be of the same configuration up to and including dimensional size. So, technically, even a 3/4 scale P-51 does not meet the rule.
Is there a good policy document or reg that defines "configuration?" I'm guessing, based on what I'm hearing, that it doesn't include such things as powerplant, but where are the bright lines?

The seven has a longer wingspan than the six..... The vertical stab is taller.
So, not the same configuration.

Back